Garrett Williams and Field Turf | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Williams and Field Turf

I think Clemson has the clear advantage in cumulative talent. We have talented players, but we aren't as deep as they are. I believe our advantage is with our coordinators. Theirs are good, but I think ours are better. I think the talent discrepency can be overcome with better scheming and we just might do it. Of course, I may be all wet. And, I apologize if this sentiment has already been shared by someone else, I haven't had the time to read through the whole thread.

If GW was playing then DB would’ve said as much. Anything less and you can assume he’s not playing. Otherwise you’re drawing attention to a guy who is not 100% and you can be sure Clemson will test that matchup.
Disagree. Because of last week everyone questions if he is OK so there is attention there. If he is ready to go we could say so but why say so? Just smart gamesmanship not to say. But in reality I think he is likely questionable and they won't really make a call until tomorrow anyway.

Can we get our best Talent into space and can we get a WR to beat someone for an easy TD. not sure we can just slog our way down the field 3-4 times in this game.

Disagree. Because of last week everyone questions if he is OK so there is attention there. If he is ready to go we could say so but why say so? Just smart gamesmanship not to say. But in reality I think he is likely questionable and they won't really make a call until tomorrow anyway.
Yes he said Lowery is likely playing but that doesn't effect Clemson's game plan at all. GW playing or not probably does.

If GW was playing then DB would’ve said as much. Anything less and you can assume he’s not playing. Otherwise you’re drawing attention to a guy who is not 100% and you can be sure Clemson will test that matchup.
GW left the NC State game because of injury. Clemson knows he is not 100%.

I think it is BS and I don't think its realistic. Out of the good teams they played; @Wake they went to overtime with, Home against NC State they won by 10. At Florida State they won by 6. This spread is because we have "Orange" written on our jersey. Disrespectful. Over the past 5 years nobody has played Clemson closer than us and we are currently one of a handful of teams still undefeated. Any year where our team was decent we played right there with them.

2021 Clemson wins 17-14
2020 Clemson wins 47-21 (We were not good this year)
2019 Clemsom wins 41-6 (We were just awful this year)
2018 Clemson wins 27-23
2017 Syracuse wins 27-24

I think 13.5 spread is ridiculous. We may not win but I expect it to be closer than 13.5. Because of perception, Syracuse has been one of the best teams against the spread the past couple years. I don't bet on games but if I did i'd take Syracuse in a heartbeat.
State scored a touchdown in garbage time and Clemson clearly took their foot off the pedal in the 4th against FSU. Syracuse can absolutely win but to discount Clemson is disingenuous.

I expect Williams to play, if for no other reason than because he is a Carolina kid -- so this is an opportunity [and possibly his final collegiate opportunity] to play in front of friends / family close to home.

That expectation has zero correlation to how healthy he is, whether he's close to 100%, etc.

Disagree, this Clemson team is good, not the caliber of their recent NC teams. We have to play well and can’t have lapses like UVA and Purdue . Perfect or flawless football is an ideal, never happens.
I disagree as well. They have Bresee back and he's rounding into shape. That's a game changer for them.

I disagree as well. They have Bresee back and he's rounding into shape. That's a game changer for them.
Ok, We will see.

State scored a touchdown in garbage time and Clemson clearly took their foot off the pedal in the 4th against FSU. Syracuse can absolutely win but to discount Clemson is disingenuous.
Nobody is discounting Clemson. I know it being at Clemson makes a big difference but I think 13.5 is still just too much.

a bit confused..
it was 20-13 going into the 4th and clemson scored a td with 3 min to go. then NC st drove down in garbage time. So they took their foot off the gas with 14 min to go up 10? really the game changed with the run back and short TD drive to start the 4th..

SU never trailed vs NC st.. SU Had more yds and allowed less than Clemson.. and nc st was under 200 until the late drive in garbage time.

the biggest difference in the game is that SU won while having 2 TOs and Clemson one when NC st had the 2 TOs. you flip those and SU wins by 25 and Clemson is in a dig fight..

Clemson has the most athletes but SU can win this game, though I doubt they can if they make the same mistakes they made vs NC st and Virginia or if the Clemson DL plays a great game like they have a few times in this series.

Playing at home Clemson can win this by 20 if SU makes too many mistakes. .But if it its a clean Game the teams are pretty even and SU probably has a bit more in a few areas on the field than we have seen in yrs.

Can we win? Of course, we are a good football team that is pretty damn solid in all three phases. However, we commit way too many penalties, which might get worse playing in a hostile environment for the first time all season, and what a place to have your first hostile road test than against a team who is 58-1 in their last 59 home games. I worry about us finishing drives. This offense is clearly better but hasn’t exactly lit up the scoreboard against our better opponents. Also worried about potentially having GW out, even with the depth we have at the position. Also worried about our rush defense which has not faced many good running teams at all yet but per Connelly, is ranked in the 90s for rushing success rate allowed.

Am I throwing in the towel? Hell no, I think this team is better than the 2018 one, which means they can compete against anyone. But it’s going to be an uphill battle against these dudes

Last edited:
If I was a Clemson fan I would probably have my ACC Championship game booked. Let’s tee it up.

I think it is BS and I don't think its realistic. Out of the good teams they played; @Wake they went to overtime with, Home against NC State they won by 10. At Florida State they won by 6. This spread is because we have "Orange" written on our jersey. Disrespectful. Over the past 5 years nobody has played Clemson closer than us and we are currently one of a handful of teams still undefeated. Any year where our team was decent we played right there with them.

2021 Clemson wins 17-14
2020 Clemson wins 47-21 (We were not good this year)
2019 Clemsom wins 41-6 (We were just awful this year)
2018 Clemson wins 27-23
2017 Syracuse wins 27-24

I think 13.5 spread is ridiculous. We may not win but I expect it to be closer than 13.5. Because of perception, Syracuse has been one of the best teams against the spread the past couple years. I don't bet on games but if I did i'd take Syracuse in a heartbeat.

We also weren't that good in '17 or '21 as both of those were losing seasons with very poor ACC conference records.

But regardless, I couldn't care less what the point spread is. This isn't some virtual/metaverse thing, it's really happening on Saturday. They actually will play the game, in all its glory...on a real turf field, with real people in the stands. So, we'll all get to see just how "realistic" the point spread was when it's all said and done afterwards.

Being "close" only matters in horseshoes, or so the saying goes. Wins and losses is what truly matters in football. And, that is what will ultimately change perception, not how "close" a team happens to play another team. Furthermore, there's no long history between our schools, etc., and with us being what we've generally been, and Clemson being what Clemson has been...Clemson is our Superbowl, who knows what it is/has been for them.

No doubt, we will have Clemson's full attention on Saturday, especially coming in undefeated and ranked.

What an opportunity Syracuse has on Saturday to seize the day!

Last edited:
a bit confused..
it was 20-13 going into the 4th and clemson scored a td with 3 min to go. then NC st drove down in garbage time. So they took their foot off the gas with 14 min to go up 10? really the game changed with the run back and short TD drive to start the 4th..

SU never trailed vs NC st.. SU Had more yds and allowed less than Clemson.. and nc st was under 200 until the late drive in garbage time.

the biggest difference in the game is that SU won while having 2 TOs and Clemson one when NC st had the 2 TOs. you flip those and SU wins by 25 and Clemson is in a dig fight..

Clemson has the most athletes but SU can win this game, though I doubt they can if they make the same mistakes they made vs NC st and Virginia or if the Clemson DL plays a great game like they have a few times in this series.

Playing at home Clemson can win this by 20 if SU makes too many mistakes. .But if it its a clean Game the teams are pretty even and SU probably has a bit more in a few areas on the field than we have seen in yrs.
When did I say Clemson took their foot off the gas against State? State scored with a minute left in the game against backups and walk-ons.

If you can't tell the difference between a healthy Leary and whoever suited up against you guys, I don't know what to tell you...

Everyone in the country has crowned Clemson the best in the conference and it’s based more on the past than right here and now. All things being equal, and they are extremely equal on paper, my comment was very fair and balanced to both teams.
They are healthier and deeper. There’s a reason we’re a 14pt dog and it doesn’t have anything to do with playing mistake prone football.

I respect your optimism and certainly hope we win. But I don’t see it the same way.

44cuse

To me its pretty simple. If our corners are both playing we have a puncher's chance of pulling an upset. If not, then we still have a chance but it would be much bigger upset.
Offensively we'll need some creativity and to get Tucker into space. 3 of Clemson's front 7 (DE,DL, LB) are projected to go 8, 9 and 11 in the next NFL draft.

Dino isn't going to say 1 way or the other. If he isn't playing, no reason to let them know. If he is playing, Clemson is going to test him to see how he holds up anyway. I'm ok with Dino being coy this week.

Last edited:
They are healthier and deeper. There’s a reason we’re a 14pt dog and it doesn’t have anything to do with playing mistake prone football.

I respect your optimism and certainly hope we win. But I don’t see it the same way.

44cuse
The spread would be +10 at a neutral site. +6.5 if we were at home. Seems reasonable. People are discounting the home field advantage here.

How did the GW injury update devolve into Clemson and odds and officials?
SevereNegligibleKitfox-max-1mb.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom