Getting great reports on Tyler Roberson | Syracusefan.com

Getting great reports on Tyler Roberson

Orangeyes said:
I'm told he's working his butt off everyday getting ready for an increased role with the team.

Good to hear. I sense his role will increase greatly.

Orangeyes said:
I'm told he's working his butt off everyday getting ready for an increased role with the team.

He better be. I had him in the starting lineup this past season. The delay in working with the team and not playing in Canada really set him back and he never really caught up. He's the most skilled player on the team.

Shoulda been unleashed & come into his own this year.

Would have been nice to see him get a couple more minutes, but realistically JB wasn't going to take CJ or Grant off the court very much if at all. Roberson was pretty rough in his limited stretches so he didn't make a huge case for taking minutes away from those other guys. His rebounding really looked good though and he had that nice play against Duke.

Plently of opportunity available for Roberson, Patterson, and BJ. Hope these guys are ready to work there @sses off this summer and grab that PT in the fall. Playing time is going to be wide open.

actually , the way fair played the last 1/3 of the season, it might be have been a legitimate solution.
Senior, first option, four year team player, etc. Short of CJ breaking his leg, that would never happen.

Yep, and we should have sat Fair and Grant to make that happen. :rolleyes:

I hear ya, but it was never going to happen, and Grant's injury was too late in the season.
For the millionth time, nobody was talking about playing Beast over CJ & Jerami, just getting him 10 to 15 MPG so that CJ & Jerami weren't playing with their tongues hanging out further than do my dogs when they are in a deep pant.

I hate this stupid argument. You just cant run your players into the ground like JB did this year. You need to develop players during game situations. There was absolutely enough minutes to go around and for Roberson to get 10-15 minutes a game. So what if we get a loss here or there, our players are better rested for a championship run at the end of the year and you have more quality players to contribute. You play for championships, not regular season titles.

Tyler reminds me of the jerami situation neither really had a post up or isolation game as freshmen, but both reports suggest they will make a huge jump.

Everyone said Jerami Grant would break out and be a stud (except me), sadly he lost his chance to put alittle bit of weight on due to the mono thing which really hurt his isolation game alot.

imo. The good thing about Tyler is he will have a better jumpshot then Jerami from the high post (he had one and he favored it in highschool) so defenders won't be able to leave him open. He didn't have a fast stroke as a freshmen imo, but I think that will change sometime this year. I am not sure his iso game will be there. Like Jerami, he could use some strength to aid it. I hope his handle ends up as good as jerami's was.

We love taking long stretch skinny forwards, and turning them into pf's as time goes on. That is no easy task though, usually once they become pf they need to start their drive from the high post in as opposed to the perimeter. It would be interesting to have something like 2 jerami grants, or two Donte Greene's on the wing.

Last edited:
So what if we get a loss here or there, our players are better rested for a championship run at the end of the year and you have more quality players to contribute. You play for championships, not regular season titles.

I don't remember anyone saying that after the BC game.

I don't remember anyone saying that after the BC game.

BC loss and GT Games are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. Fair couldn't hit a shot against BC, maybe Roberson gives you something off the bench if he plays all year long and gains experience. The GT game, JB plays him significant minutes when he hasn't played all year and he expects him to contribute. Its asinine to think he will play adequately enough when he has gotten 2-3 mintues here and there. In 11 games he got 0 minutes, and BC at home was one of those games. Instead, we got 45 mintues from CJ who shot 7-23 (30%), 41 mintues from Grant who shot 4-9 (44%), and 15 minitues from silent G who was 0-2 with 3 fouls. We shot 32% as a team that night, but obviously fresh legs or a player that has been contributing all year (Roberson if he got 10-15 mintues a game throughout the year) wouldnt have helped.

We didn't rest our starters in that game. We rode them down the stretch as they coughed up a decent lead, couldn't score over guys five inches shorter than they were, and didn't guard the perimeter.

Pretty sure CJ was being guarded by a 6'4" guy and still couldnt do anything.

We didn't rest our starters in that game. We rode them down the stretch as they coughed up a decent lead, couldn't score over guys five inches shorter than they were, and didn't guard the perimeter.

Of course, we could have played the bench, coughed up the lead even worse, and dug ourselves too deep a hole to extend the game to OT.

We only managed 25 points in each half. If you blame fatigue for the bad 2nd half performance, what do you blame the 1st half on? Too much rest?

So now the narrative is Roberson never got a chance this past year. Got it.

13 games with 0 minutes and another 7 games with under 5 minutes. Yeah, I would classify that as not getting much of a chance. 20 of 34 games where he received less than 5 minutes of playing time. The kid didnt get any minutes against St. Francis for crying out loud, I dont care if that game was close he still should have got some run.