Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Tony White and Sean Lewis are the two top interviews ADJW probably has already had. Liam Coen, Manny Diaz, Al Golden, and Jason Candle are guys that will be interviewed if they want to be. Chesney and some others may get a look but I doubt it will be really serious unless they truly impress in the interview process. I think SU will announce the hire within 10 days.

Why too early? He has SEC coaching experience. He took a perennial loser in UNLV and put them in the MWC championship game in year 1. He put a Greatest Show on Turf offense together to take advantage of playing in a WEATHER CONTROLLED DOME STADIUM HOME FIELD.
I'd be on Odom in a flash. I was at the UNLV / Air Force game yesterday and was totally impressed with what I saw. They recovered from a bad 2nd quarter to shut out AFA in the 2nd half. I was kind of puzzled why Mizzou let him go when they did.

Dave Clawson
No brainer for us, but it's rare that P4 coach makes a lateral move. What do you know about his status at WF? SU might be a more challenging program than Wake being right now; the state of NC has a lot of great athletes.

No brainer for us, but it's rare that P4 coach makes a lateral move. What do you know about his status at WF? SU might be a more challenging program than Wake being right now; the state of NC has a lot of great athletes.
I know Syracuse and Wake don't play till 2028 I think.

I know Syracuse and Wake don't play till 2028 I think.
I'd expect Wake would pay him more than SU could offer in order to retain him. I don't think he'd leave Wake unless it was a clear step up, probably from a school in the big money leagues (B1G or SEC).

My scorecard:

1) Doug Marrone: Hell yes
2) Dan Mullen: Hell yes
3) Curt Cignetti: Yes
4) Jason Candle: Has a chance to be a Dave Clawson or a Dave Doeren. He'll be in demand by other P5 programs.
5) Bob Chesney: The right idea, but the Patriot League is way down even from the MAC. Better if he showed success at G5 first.

6) Jamey Chadwell: with a big buyout?
7) Willie Fritz: would he come here?
8) Tom Herman: would he come here?

-Bronco Mendenhall: couldn't win at UVa; how would he win at SU? He's as laid back and quirky as Dino. He also suffered from burn out.
-Sean Lewis: No more Dino ball.
-Tony White: Ryan Walters redux. We have to do better.
-Al Golden: If you can't win at Miami, how do you win at Syracuse?

-Jim Knowles: Chris Ash redux; Jeff Hafley redux. A losing record at Cornell? Disqualifying.
-Liam Coen: no HC experience. We need to do better.
-Teryl Austin: no HC experience. We need to do better.
-Same comment goes for the long list of coordinators w/ no HC experience.

The next coach really needs to have won as a HC at some level, preferably has some NFL exposure, and certainly needs to have a proven record of developing an offensive line.

-Rich Rodriguez: talk about a retread...

You misspelled Doug Marrone.
Why Marrone? Out of the last 22 years, how many of those SU seasons had an actual P5 quality offensive line that held up for 12 games? I'd say 3 or 4. And the only one that was not built by Marrone was in 2018. DM and staff out-schemed most of these college coaches, even though we were usually at a talent disadvantage. He installed a new offense 2 weeks before the start of his final season. He knew how to build a winning program and actually did it here at SU, where no one else has succeeded since 2001.

Our talent is on the D side of the ball. But if you look at the makeup we really should be running a 3-4. We don't have the depth to play 3 Safeties and we have more LBs than we know what to do with.

I hope it is Dan Mullen. He is the safest choice. I think he can take SU to bowl game almost every year if not every year. Do not think he can compete with Florida State and Clemson though. But what we need now is the sustaining power in the top 25% or 30% of ACC. Then when SEC and B1G expand to 28 or 30 in the end of alignment, we can get a seat in B1G.

Last edited:
going through all of the circulating names and putting them to Wildhack's weird special teams comment (Freudian slip?), and other qualifications, the two guys who meet his preferred qualifications; HC and/or P5 coordinating experience who also have personal Special Teams experience are Chesney and Manny Diaz.

All of this Chesney talk is beyond ridiculous, The guy is coaching at HOLY CROSS, and they did not make the playoffs this year, and he has no coaching experience at the power 4 level AT ALL... Why not just hire the coach from Albany if we are going to do that ridiculous non sense. He at least recruited Jared Verse! Manny Diaz yes!

going through all of the circulating names and putting them to Wildhack's weird special teams comment (Freudian slip?), and other qualifications, the two guys who meet his preferred qualifications; HC and/or P5 coordinating experience who also have personal Special Teams experience are Chesney and Manny Diaz.
Of which Diaz has both.

Funny I was just thinking about this too.

Of which Diaz has both.
Not that they crossed paths, but according to Wikipedia, Manny worked at ESPN in the mid 90s before getting into coaching as a production assistant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom