Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

He hasn’t set the world on fire if you look at his overall W/L but Iowa State was the absolute P5 pits so I give him a lot of credit for what he’s done there.
He had the chance to go for the Jets jobbed, passed on it and his stock has fallen as a result. With BYU, Texas and K-State to close out the season, he may miss a bowl altogether for the second season in a row and be on the hot seat going into 2024.

It would make sense - but he did go back to Georgia as an OC for a few years recently before going back to the NFL. But not as a HC though.

I still think he’d be a great candidate, but you can’t make a guy want to do a job he’d be pretty good at.
I heard he had a different set up at Georgia vs traditional OC roles

He had the chance to go for the Jets jobbed, passed on it and his stock has fallen as a result. With BYU, Texas and K-State to close out the season, he may miss a bowl altogether for the second season in a row and be on the hot seat going into 2024.
Kind of is what we’re looking for, a competent P5 HC without NFL stars in his eyes.

If Memphis's Ryan Silverfield had any ties to the Northeast, I'd think he is well worth a serious look. Many people thought that the Memphis program would die on the vine when Norvell left. Silverfield had 0 HC experience at any level, so his first 2-4 years certainly would be about learning how to be a head coach. It is Year 4, and he may have his best team yet. And the worst he's produced so far is 6-6.

Coach Mark DeLeon deserves a look to serve as next head coach of the Syracuse University football team.

Mark has extensive and impressive NFL and P5 college coaching experience serving with some of the best football minds there are.

Mark is a Syracuse guy. His Dad was first assistant during the successful Pasqualoni years. He is young. He is aggressive. Mark is a passionate SU fan; he bleeds SU Orange, No one would out work Coach DeLeone.

Below is Coach DeLeone’s bio.

Whoa, George’s kid. That would be hilarious, but not in a good way. Will he run the freeze option? Lol.

Last edited:
Among the criteria for SU's next HC to be successful is a proven record of building programs. A career coordinator with no HC experience is a big gamble. I keep coming back to a coach who built 4 winning programs, including the same Bowling Green program that Dino inherited and made Dino look like he was the one who hit the home run: Dave Clawson.

We get out-coached every year by Clawson. I'm not suggesting that Clawson would ever come to SU, but I am saying that's the type of coaching resume who could make a respectable program out of SU.

Clawson's record as HC reads:
1999 Fordham 0-11
2002 Fordham 10–3
2003 Fordham 9–3
2004 Richmond 3–8
2007 Richmond 11–3
2009 Bowling Green 7–6
2010 Bowling Green 2–10
2013 Bowling Green 10–3
2014 Wake Forest 3–9
2015 Wake Forest 3–9
2016 Wake Forest 7–6
2017 Wake Forest 8–5
2018 Wake Forest 7–6
2019 Wake Forest 8–5
2020 Wake Forest 4–5 *Covid
2021 Wake Forest 11–3
2022 Wake Forest 8–5
2023 Wake Forest 4–5

6 winning records in a row at WF, if not counting Covid year; playing in the same brutal ACC division as us, w/ Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, etc.

I don't know if Bob Chesney is the answer, but his record is similar to Clawson's, although Clawson did build a winning MAC program, which is closer to the ACC level of competition than the Patriot conference.

We need someone who has proven success building programs! It follows that you can't build a winning program while not knowing what it takes to build an offensive line. Same goes for having a team that plays with discipline - not leading the nation in penalties every year; you can't consistently beat the teams you are supposed to beat doing that.
Clawson at Wake is a good model for our next head coaching search.

I think I read they received $200 million in donations after one week being in the ACC. They don’t need ACC dollars. They had a meeting before they joined the ACC which had 15 billionaires in the room. Crazy money at SMU.
It seems weird that so many billionaires would be SMU alums. I get that Texas has oil money but huh.

Who I would prefer:

Tom Herman
Dan Mullen
Jamey Chadwell
Rich Rodriguez

Who I think will be in the mix:

Tony White(whom I wouldn't hate)
Al Golden
Jim Knowles(as has been reported)
Bob Chesney

I'd just rather have someone who has done it before(at a high level) rather than someone learning on the job. I also realize we may not have the $$ for the coaches in my first column and/or they may have no interest in being at Syracuse.

Who I would prefer:

Tom Herman
Dan Mullen
Jamey Chadwell
Rich Rodriguez

Who I think will be in the mix:

Tony White(whom I wouldn't hate)
Al Golden
Jim Knowles(as has been reported)
Bob Chesney

I'd just rather have someone who has done it before(at a high level) rather than someone learning on the job. I also realize we may not have the $$ for the coaches in my first column and/or they may have no interest in being at Syracuse.
Unfortunately, I think your first 4 are a pipe dream and wouldn’t give us a millisecond of consideration, not to mention the Money needed to get them. I would prefer Herman and Mullin myself, for obv reasons.

The best we can do is one of your bottom 4. Because, Syracuse

Unfortunately, I think your first 4 are a pipe dream and wouldn’t give us a millisecond of consideration, not to mention the Money needed to get them. I would prefer Herman and Mullin myself, for obv reasons.

The best we can do is one of your bottom 4. Because, Syracuse

Why is Herman out of our range? His contract is super low currently. He seems like the perfect target. The only box he doesn't check is EAST COAST connections so he would have to handle that with his staff.

Why is Herman out of our range? His contract is super low currently. He seems like the perfect target. The only box he doesn't check is EAST COAST connections so he would have to handle that with his staff.
He is the one I want. But for some reason, I don’t think SU will pursue him. You’re right about his contract, currently 750k/year

Not to single you out Phil because you're one of many, but people are making assumptions about what "boxes need to be checked." I'm not saying that the boxes people list are unreasonable or unrealistic, only that nobody really knows what the boxes are.

As an aside, I think SU will be competitive with respect to HC and new staff salaries. No, we won't set the market or match big boy programs in the B1G or SEC. But the belief that SU will go "cheap" simply because "that's what they do" is likely misguided IMO.

Not to single you out Phil because you're one of many, but people are making assumptions about what "boxes need to be checked." I'm not saying that the boxes people list are unreasonable or unrealistic, only that nobody really knows what the boxes are.

As an aside, I think SU will be competitive with respect to HC and new staff salaries. No, we won't set the market or match big boy programs in the B1G or SEC. But the belief that SU will go "cheap" simply because "that's what they do" is likely misguided IMO.

We’re also paying around 4 million to DB. That’s not the top end B10 or SEC $$$ but it’s also significantly more than what some of these lower level coaches are making who would like to move up in the world.

Just recruit 4 and 5 star high school talent. Yes they will not pick SU, but remember they're no good to us out of the gate because they'll get scooped up after we develop them. So butter them up, build trust and they will consider us as a transfer destination when they decide to portal in 1-2 years.
I tried that strategy once with a girl that I liked when started dating someone the same time we met. Sadly (for me), they are now married with two kids.

This may work better with the portal, I give you that...

It seems weird that so many billionaires would be SMU alums. I get that Texas has oil money but huh.
Southern Methodist isn't a bad school. It's a Top 100 university on the USNW rankings.

Me saying check the boxes is the boxes of the forum. :) I don't pretend to know what JW is looking for as I have never spoken with him.

Reactions: 007
There is a lot of oil (and gas) in Texas. I’m not knowledgeable in the oil and gas industry by any means, but anecdotally, I believe there are a lot of smaller, family owned, oil/gas companies that result in generational wealth for families

Yahoo Sports had a good article on it: I believe everyone mentioned in the article from SMU is associated with oil/gas, if I recall correctly (I.e. I looked it up at the time)

The way SU is dropping in the USNW we will be looking up at them soon enough
Yeah. The school just cannot get traction to make ground in the rankings.

Meanwhile as the overall academic ranking has dropped, tuition has increased

This is a pretty good list and one I think is more likely the search committee will work from.

Depending on buy out I think you could make an attractive offer for Leipold to leave Kansas and the expanded Big 12.
I would be shocked if an offer to Leipold didn't just simply get him a raise from Kansas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom