Gmac | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

No reason we can't be Louisville. They were horrible for a better part of a decade before Pitino was hired. The inferiority complex around here drives me nuts. It's like some are ok with mediocrity year after year. We should be in the top four of this conference with those other schools every year. I'm not sure JB wants it enough anymore.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not trying to be a jerk but when was the last time we played Louisville as the favorite

We were the two top programs in the Big East from 2010-2013. Those games were incredible. Two of my favorite recent wins of all time were beating them at the Yum when Triche went off in the first half and they were ranked number 1 and destroying them the final game of the regular season the year before at the dome. I guess people have short memories.

We lost one recruit to Kentucky and another to Duke.

It's not like we're losing recruiting battles to AAC schools.

No, we missed out on something like our top 8 targets in the Class of 2017. Three of our top targets for 2018 have already eliminated us.

It is not Gmac. Only Calipari could have gotten Green away from SU the last week of recruitment and he did but even he needed help. Tucker was salivating for Duke for 2 years and he finally got it. Randolf would have probably committed on his visit if we didn't suffer a self inflicted wound from within that drove him away. It almost seems like some posters are blaming Gerry for getting handed loosing lottery tickets. Gerry didn't decide not to keep recruiting the other guys at these positions.

The point is, it never should have come down to the last week - and actually it was AFTER the last week - he didn't commit to KY until AFTER the Fall signing period had ended.

Allowing THAT to happen is the biggest clown show this staff has pulled in recruiting this century.

I'm really starting to believe it's our style of play which is not consistent with NBA. Quite the dilemma

Offensively we do a good job of letting the players show their skills if they have them. There is a stigma defensively but honestly it means nothing to the NBA guys who are deciding who to pick. Just look at where our guys have been drafted based on preseason and even initial postseason draft boards. It is however very much being used against us on the recruiting trail and will continue to be.

Last edited:
The point is, it never should have come down to the last week - and actually it was AFTER the last week - he didn't commit to KY until AFTER the Fall signing period had ended.

Allowing THAT to happen is the biggest clown show this staff has pulled in recruiting this century.

I don't disagree with that and have said the same thing quite often. The WHOLE staff did not want to leave all our eggs in the Green basket and where ready to get a different PG and move on. Hopkins wasn't the lead recruiter on any of these kids.

Yeah, that's why we keep producing draft picks every year.

Right it doesn't hurt draft stock one iota. It is used against us in recruiting however.

Thanks for the info, that's great to know. I just find it odd that if Hop felt that way we didn't set up a plan B? Seems like a power move to completely ignore the opinion of your lead recruiter and be so stubborn to believe Green is all Orange when there were a lot of good prospects still available.

There were Plan B's, such as the kid from Oak Hill - who was mysteriously turned away right before his visit. If that was done as a result of Quade worrying about his spot, then we should have made Quade sign, or have kept the visit.

This stuff isn't that hard, folks.

There were Plan B's, such as the kid from Oak Hill - who was mysteriously turned away right before his visit. If that was done as a result of Quade worrying about his spot, then we should have made Quade sign, or have kept the visit.

This stuff isn't that hard, folks.

That is the biggest head scratcher to me. We were going to have Coleman in and Green came running back with his buddy Bamba. I'd have been "OK sign here Quade or we are going to try and get Matt Coleman." If you don't know you are being messed with at that point when will you. We are trying to move on to play B, Quade was making sure his plan B was still available.

We will never beat out Kentucky or Duke (and probably a few other schools). This program has maintained their excellence by having a good eye for talent and then developing it (and in some cases, holding on to it). Whoever we sign at whatever ranking, we need to see more improvement during their time here too.

Duke and Kentucky can't take everybody.
It only seems that way sometimes.

JB was a bigger problem than I and probably others didn't realize. Nobody knows the reason why Hop seems to be less active on the trail the last 2 years after Battle which was a Hop flip. Hop wasn't leading last cycle and that decision makes no sense when he was supposedly taking over the next year. JB making this decision is still baffling to me.

I think the answer is pretty obvious. Because Mike realized that Boeheim didn't want to leave, and Mike was not going to be the guy to "force him out". So he threw in the towel and told his agent to keep his ears open for a good opportunity. It was frosty last year, IMO.

No, we missed out on something like our top 8 targets in the Class of 2017. Three of our top targets for 2018 have already eliminated us.
that would mean that Brisset and Sidibe were our 9th and 10th choices . . . I don't think that is the case

How do you know who out top targets are? Who you wanted? We have no idea what the Syracuse board looks like.

How do you know who out top targets are? Who you wanted? We have no idea what the Syracuse board looks like.

Ok let us know when anyone ranked in the top 20 commits to us.. btw don't want to middle of pack ACC team.. Change has come sooner than later and needs the happen soon. JB flat out is not getting it down no other way to put it

Offensively we do a good job of letting the players show their skills if they have them. There is a stigma defensively but honestly it means nothing to the NBA guys who are deciding who to pick. Just look at where our guys have been drafted based on preseason and even initial postseason draft boards. It is however very much being used against us on the recruiting trail and will continue to be.
I agree and was insinuating zone without saying it. When certain elite players state they are not interested in us because of the zone that is something that we get eliminated by and no one else does. You can't say zone is a recruiting positive. Does it work well in college for us... typically yes. Does it profile Typical NBA defense... no. I know you all know this and I don't mean to be redundant or insult anyone's intelligence but call a spade a spade

No reason we can't be Louisville. They were horrible for a better part of a decade before Pitino was hired. The inferiority complex around here drives me nuts. It's like some are ok with mediocrity year after year. We should be in the top four of this conference with those other schools every year. I'm not sure JB wants it enough anymore.
Agree on the Louisville comparison. A no brainer. Disagree that JB doesn't want it enough anymore. That's ridiculous.

Agree on the Louisville comparison. A no brainer. Disagree that JB doesn't want it enough anymore. That's ridiculous.
Is it a given though? Louisville is one helluva town in/near geographically rich recruiting grounds, they have one of the nicest venues in college basketball in the Yum Center, fairly easy academic requirements, and so on...

that would mean that Brisset and Sidibe were our 9th and 10th choices . . . I don't think that is the case

You should keep up with the recruits and offers page tagged at the top of our recruiting page. We had offers out to Bamba, Green, Randolph, Tucker, Duval, Diallo, Lonnie Walker, and Nick Richards for about a year before we took any of the other guys.

This might strike you as news, dasher, but offers get reported these days. There's this thing call Twitter. We have not been offering 20-30 players these past several years, to keep our offers "precious". We locked in on our 8 targets or so and stuck with them for a very long time and got none of them last cycle. You can't win 'em all, but usually we get a couple of our early targets. But not this year.

This might strike you as news, dasher, but offers get reported these days. There's this thing call Twitter. We have not been offering 20-30 players these past several years, to keep our offers "precious". We locked in on our 8 targets or so and stuck with them for a very long time and got none of them last cycle. You can't win 'em all, but usually we get a couple of our early targets. But not this year.
This might strike you as news, but none of us know who is at the top of JB's board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom