Gmac | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

Why was JB giving priority recruits to GMac over Hopkins is the takeaway:

GMac didn't need to be groomed by JB. JB was gone after next year. Why did JB not listen to Hopkins. GMac's development in recruiting at the time of transition was stupid. We lost these must have recruits and lost Hopkins.

You're asking the right questions.

I think EVERYONE hopes we can turn this ship around, but is "hope" is the only card we have left to play? Optimism and hope are interchangeable at this point. What if JB truly is untouchable and that we will be sentenced to mediocrity for 5-6 more years until he finally hangs em up? Now obviously if we continue to flirt with the NIT every year going forward, then I can see pressure mounting and forcing JB to recognize that it's time to go before "he's ready". But more likely, I can see him doing "just enough" to avoid that fate -- oscillating between NITs and 8-9-10 seeds in the NCAA. That's sort of where we are as a program if the last few years means anything. Personally, I'd rather rip the band-aid off and start over now to spare that fate, and ironically that's where we were headed until Hop was gently nudged out the door.

We didn't become SU fans because of fledgling 8-9-10 seeds and bubble talk every year. I'm a patient man, but just delaying the inevitable doesn't sit well. Even if we're set the expectations pretty low, this board will be a dumpster fire if we don't even sniff the NCAAs next year. I think it's only fair that the next recruiting cycle (17-18) should be considered his last chance for redemption. Being a head coach at SU should always be considered a privilege and not an entitlement... but the way JB turned the tables on the transition screams entitlement. When the program is near its low-water mark, that doesn't leave much wiggle room for excuses.

I don't foresee a situation where Boeheim leaves on his own accord.

Yeah right based on my thread the fans don't care what JB does. Legit criticism be damned if you aren't JB or die your a troll.

Butts in seats are a big difference than fans on a message board...but we're in agreement here...

That ship sailed to Washington this year. And this will hurt. No kid wants to play for a coach that won't be there for his entire 4 years. How could they? JB is being loyal to JB
You don't think he'll stay for all of Buddy's tenure ?

Gmac jaw brought in Buss, Moyer and Sidibie in 4-5 years. Just in volume alone that stinks.

Moyer redshirted so we'll see and Sidibie looks to be a solid 4 year guy.

We're not winning on the deals he closes, if he was in sales he'd been fired years ago and it has nothing to do with Tucker or Green.

Yeah right based on my thread the fans don't care what JB does. Legit criticism be damned if you aren't JB or die your a troll.
The irony is JB built this program and now we think it's ours

That ship sailed to Washington this year. And this will hurt.
No kid wants to play for a coach that won't be there for his entire 4 years.
How could they? JB is being loyal to JB

So, in the ACC, guys like Coach K, Leonard Hamilton, Larranaga, Ol Cryin' Roy, Pitino, etc - NONE of whom are spring chickens -
aren't going to have this issue, but Jim Boeheim and ONLY Jim Boeheim alone, will?

Please.

OK, please list the designated Head Coach in Waiting for each of those programs.
We'll wait here.

So, in the ACC, guys like Coach K, Leonard Hamilton, Larranaga, Ol Cryin' Roy, Pitino, etc - NONE of whom are spring chickens -
aren't going to have this issue, but Jim Boeheim and ONLY Jim Boeheim alone, will?

Please.

OK, please list the designated Head Coach in Waiting for each of those programs.
We'll wait here.

JB is still the oldest and I hate to break it to everyone but those coaches are bringing in better talent than us.

JB is still the oldest and I hate to break it to everyone but those coaches are bringing in better talent than us.

But HOW? They're OLD!! They could DIE at ANY MOMENT!!! :p

Gmac jaw brought in Buss, Moyer and Sidibie in 4-5 years. Just in volume alone that stinks.

Moyer redshirted so we'll see and Sidibie looks to be a solid 4 year guy.

We're not winning on the deals he closes, if he was in sales he'd been fired years ago and it has nothing to do with Tucker or Green.
Not really fair at all. G-mac really wasn't on the road for almost all of that. Hop and AA were. I'm not saying he is troy weaver part 2. Just that we don't know yet and as a person that unfortunately had to fire many sales people in my career, the verdict on G-mac isn't close to being in.

he may intend to do just that. But late 70's is late 70's. Things happen to your body.

Dan Patrick: He's listed as day to day, but then again, aren't we all?

I mean there is clearly more to the story than Hop just decided in year 9 of his 10 year HCIW plan to leave. I mean it was pretty evident if you follow recruiting that Hop was not driving the ship even for his first incoming class which is odd...
I had a long post in the other thread.

I will say this if you think being critical after the last 3 years is unreasonable I don't know what to tell you.

This program has a lot of crap behind the scene of the recent moves.

You and I don't like each other's posts I am not negative to be negative. I am critical of the problems and sorry you don't like it.

Not really fair at all. G-mac really wasn't on the road for almost all of that. Hop and AA were. I'm not saying he is troy weaver part 2. Just that we don't know yet and as a person that unfortunately had to fire many sales people in my career, the verdict on G-mac isn't close to being in.

I've done sales for a majority of my adult life and while it can take a lot of time before you judge and make decisions, I don't think it's unfair to say that GMac doesn't belong anywhere near the main guys we go after. Gmac should be out looking at the plan Cs and Ds until he shows some consistency.

I've done sales for a majority of my adult life and while it can take a lot of time before you judge and make decisions, I don't think it's unfair to say that GMac doesn't belong anywhere near the main guys we go after. Gmac should be out looking at the plan Cs and Ds until he shows some consistency.
That, I agree with. And with that, I question both hop and JB. How did Hop, with the job his and on the verge of getting it, go to the pics instead of recruiting.

That, I agree with. And with that, I question both hop and JB. How did Hop, with the job his and on the verge of getting it, go to the pics instead of recruiting.
et tous, brutus

he may intend to do just that. But late 70's is late 70's. Things happen to your body.
Exactly what I was trying to hint at recently. Although you jumped on me a little, I said we had time to bounce back and there was no reason for doom and gloom. But the fact remains, we're in a slump, caused by a variety of factors. One of those factors could be JB's age and another could be strategy (GMac's recruiting chops, waiting until Spring and getting played, etc).

He better win then. The fans here aren't going to be able to handle another season like the last 3.
Exactly. I have faith that JB can get recruiting back on track. But if he doesn't make the NCAAs next season, the pressure will be at an all time high. He will get one more year of course, but he will be forced out if necessary, especially if he doesn't score some recruiting victories. He's a Hall of Fame coach but it's much easier to push him out if he's perceived as over the hill and attendance and revenue declines. He's said it himself: If you don't win in college basketball, you can kiss your job goodbye. It's as simple as that.

I had a long post in the other thread.

I will say this if you think being critical after the last 3 years is unreasonable I don't know what to tell you.

This program has a lot of crap behind the scene of the recent moves.

You and I don't like each other's posts I am not negative to be negative. I am critical of the problems and sorry you don't like it.
I don't care if you're critical of the program. I have been also. It's just the approach of doing it post after post after post...

The irony is JB built this program and now we think it's ours
It is ours--the university and its fans. That's what happens. The program is bigger than him now. That's the reality of modern-day college basketball. Ask Bobby Knight. Sure, he was forced out because he was an arrogant jerk who defied the administration. But the fact that he wasn't winning enough contributed to his demise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom