Gmac | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

This is very interesting. Goes along with what I've heard that there is frustration on the part of assistant coaches over the disconnect with JB regarding recruiting.
Yep. Mainly one...

Can you list each player we have gotten and each player we haven't that we seriously recruited and then who their main recruiter was? Don't cherry pick a couple, please give a full accounting.

Below is a list of guys since GMac joined in fall of 2011 and who the "lead" was for the following pieces of each class:

Coleman - Hop
Grant - Red
Gbinije - Red (edit to add)

Ennis - Red
Roberson - Not 100% sure if Hop or Red
BJ - Hop
Buss - Gmac

McCullough - Red
Kaleb - Hop

Lydon - Hop
Malachi - Hop
Frank - Red
Diagne - Red

Battle - Hop
Moyer - GMac
Thompson - Red

Brissett - Red
Sidibe - Sounds like from Francis and Iommi that Hop started things up and GMac took over down the stretch to close
HW - Red
Hughes - Red

(I didn't go through each target since November of 2011 because that would be a very inexact exercise; do you only pick guys who visited, guys we offered, guys we "had a hat on the table" for come announcement time, how do you capture guys who had an offer but weren't in a position where we would take their commitment ala Newton, etc.)

We can say GMac just fell victim to the Duke and UK machine for Tucker and Quade, which is probably true, but he's also been here for 6 recruiting classes now and brought in 3 players total - none of which were drawn out battles against powerhouses:

Buss - I think he beat out Xavier
Moyer - got an offer, visited shortly after and committed almost immediately after the visit.
Sidibe - Oklahoma St. and Texas Tech were the other two finalists

Still odd we gave him as much responsibility with this class as we did but that's not really GMac's fault. Quade, I wonder if we had Hop running with that are we able to close it out before UK decides to make Quade the priority? Lonnie, I have to think Hop gives us a better chance with his history of Team Final wings in 2015 and 2016 with Malachi and Tyus.

Last edited:
Below is a list of guys since GMac joined in fall of 2011 and who the "lead" was for the following pieces of each class:

Coleman - Hop
Grant - Red

Ennis - Red
BJ - Hop
Buss - Gmac

McCullough - Red
Kaleb - Hop

Lydon - Hop
Malachi - Hop
Frank - Red
Diagne - Red

Battle - Hop
Moyer - GMac
Thompson - Red

Brissett - Red
Sidibe - Sounds like from Francis and Iommi that Hop started things up and GMac took over down the stretch to close
HW - Red
Hughes - Red

(I didn't go through each target since November of 2011 because that would be a very inexact exercise; do you only pick guys who visited, guys we offered, guys we "had a hat on the table" for come announcement time, how do you capture guys who had an offer but weren't in a position where we would take their commitment ala Newton, etc.)

We can say GMac just fell victim to the Duke and UK machine for Tucker and Quade, which is probably true, but he's also been here for 6 recruiting classes now and brought in 3 players total - none of which were drawn out battles against powerhouses:

Moyer - got an offer, visited shortly after and committed almost immediately after the visit.

Still odd we gave him as much responsibility with this class as we did but that's not really GMac's fault. Quade, I wonder if we had Hop running with that are we able to close it out before UK decides to make Quade the priority? Lonnie, I have to think Hop gives us a better chance with his history of Team Final wings in 2015 and 2016 with Malachi and Tyus.
Thank you. Lets hope that Red and Grif take bigger roles in 18

Coleman - Hop
Grant - Red

Ennis - Red
BJ - Hop
Buss - Gmac

McCullough - Red
Kaleb - Hop

Lydon - Hop
Malachi - Hop
Frank - Red
Diagne - Red

Battle - Hop
Moyer - GMac
Thompson - Red

Brissett - Red
HW - Red
Hughes - Red

Isn't it kind of strange that Mike Hopkins faded from the 2017 recruiting lead responsibilities ( did not get anyone assigned to him to commit) especially since this was to be the legacy class that he was to inherit?

I understand from reading this forum that JAB did not want to give up the lead decision authority but, still it seems strange that none of Hopkins' charges materialized?

Isn't it kind of strange that Mike Hopkins faded from the 2017 recruiting lead responsibilities ( did not get anyone assigned to him to commit) especially since this was to be the legacy class that he was to inherit?

I understand from reading this forum that JAB did not want to give up the lead decision authority but, still it seems strange that none of Hopkins' charges materialized?

Ever since the Hop to Washington news came out I've long thought there are signs to suggest that the version of events Wildhack and JB presented to the public didn't really seem like it made sense or lined up.

Coleman - Hop
Grant - Red

Ennis - Red
BJ - Hop
Buss - Gmac

McCullough - Red
Kaleb - Hop

Lydon - Hop
Malachi - Hop
Frank - Red
Diagne - Red

Battle - Hop
Moyer - GMac
Thompson - Red

Brissett - Red
HW - Red
Hughes - Red

I really appreciated Jake's post which gave us new information for a lot of us on this board.
Where the assistants do all the work or did all the work under JB these past few years.
Now JB upped his involvement for Tucker but he let the assistants do their thing.

So sanctions restricting us couldn't be that big a killer when JB didn't like to go on the road.

GMac was given these assignments by JB. It appears over what Hopkins wanted done. It just screams there was a rift in decision making behind the scenes between JB and Hopkins.

People can be frustrated by GMac's recruiting. JB has tried to build him up but he should have been using his big dog Hopkins since he was retiring after the 2017-18. He should have wanted as good a roster so he should have used his best instead of giving GMac bigger reps.

ughh this thread. Its pretty simple and Jake has made it really simple. Plus there is UK and Duke what do people expect Gmac to do recruiting? 06 BET every time out?

ughh this thread.
This thread has shown a light on how we did recruiting these past few years.

The information has given this thread a must read.

Beyond that it appears JB tried to make GMac a made man in recruiting and his successor disagreed with recruiting decisions and wasn't listened to and look at where we are now.

Are we bleeping using GMac as the lead on Swider?

Unless Hopkins with relationship with Mike Hart transfers to GMac this is frustrating.

Yes. I'm not as down on Gmac as the rest of the fans though.

I think people need to ask themselves realistically if Hop, Red, or Griff would have closed against UK and Duke for Green and Tucker.

I keep coming back to the same answer which is absolutely NOT.

Also no offense to Red. He's signed a lot of guys, but I would gather we were the best option for a lot of the players he signed as well. Just like we were Moyer, Sidibe's and Buss best option too.

This thread has shown a light on how we did recruiting these past few years.

The information has given this thread a must read.

Beyond that it appears JB tried to make GMac a made man in recruiting and his successor disagreed with recruiting decisions and wasn't listened to and look at where we are now.

I know that but the fact that we need a thread to figure that out at this point is strange. I mean its been said before and yes Jake's info is much more specific than usual but there is also a common sense aspect. You don't become a great recruiter day one you have to build relationships. We seriously mishandled the Quade Green recruitment. I thought everyone knew these things.

Yes. I'm not as down on Gmac as the rest of the fans though.

I think people need to ask themselves realistically if Hop, Red, or Griff would have closed against UK and Duke for Green and Tucker.

I keep coming back to the same answer which is absolutely NOT.

Also no offense to Red. He's signed a lot of guys, but I would gather we were the best option for a lot of the players he signed as well. Just like we were Moyer, Sidibe's and Buss best option too.
Jake though has inferred that Hopkins wouldn't have gone all-in for Quade Green.

How long a leash does GMac get he has been an assistant since 2013. When does he get a big win? When does that drought get him legit heat.

I have given GMac credit for Tucker just to give him credit. That recruitment picked back up because of JB. We would have won it barring Knox to Kentucky.

We need a legit win from this coach on a priority recruit. It doesn't need to be a 5 star player but just a player who is top 100 and priority.

Coleman - Hop
Grant - Red
Gbinije - Red (edit to add)

Ennis - Red
BJ - Hop
Buss - Gmac

McCullough - Red
Kaleb - Hop

Lydon - Hop
Malachi - Hop
Frank - Red
Diagne - Red

Battle - Hop
Moyer - GMac
Thompson - Red

Brissett - Red
HW - Red
Hughes - Red

He was also the lead recruiter for Brandon Randolph and he was set to come here until things out of Gmac's hands happened on the visit to sway him otherwise.

Jake though has inferred that Hopkins wouldn't have gone all-in for Quade Green.

How long a leash does GMac get he has been an assistant since 2013. When does he get a big win? When does that drought get him legit heat.

I have given GMac credit for Tucker just to give him credit. That recruitment picked back up because of JB. We would have won it barring Knox to Kentucky.

We need a legit win from this coach on a priority recruit. It doesn't need to be a 5 star player but just a player who is top 100 and priority.

GMac is an employee. There are things he has no say in. Green verballed to him but that doesn't mean that Gerry didn't suspect that something was funky in Philly long before that. Its still his job to keep recruiting. That was what he was assigned to do.

I know that but the fact that we need a thread to figure that out at this point is strange. I mean its been said before and yes Jake's info is much more specific than usual but there is also a common sense aspect. You don't become a great recruiter day one you have to build relationships. We seriously mishandled the Quade Green recruitment. I thought everyone knew these things.
Why was JB giving priority recruits to GMac over Hopkins is the takeaway:

GMac didn't need to be groomed by JB. JB was gone after next year. Why did JB not listen to Hopkins. GMac's development in recruiting at the time of transition was stupid. We lost these must have recruits and lost Hopkins.

He was also the lead recruiter for Brandon Randolph and he was set to come here until things out of Gmac's hands happened on the visit to sway him otherwise.

I don't get how these misses are on GMac or how the fan base can perceive that they are. You do not have to be an insider or anything to know what happened with the 2017 class. We had plan A at the Pg and the SG spots. Things changed, UK jumped in, Frank threw a haymaker, Knox went to UK and a bunch of other stuff happened in between none of which Gerry could control.

Why was JB giving priority recruits to GMac over Hopkins is the takeaway:

GMac didn't need to be groomed by JB. JB was gone after next year. Why did JB not listen to Hopkins. GMac's development in recruiting at the time of transition was stupid. We lost these must have recruits and lost Hopkins.
You can't answer your own questions in paragraph 2?

I guess my point is where I disagree with the OP is this is on the head man and not the assistant.

We blew off 2 other top 75 point guards because the head man was determined to wait for Quade to decide.

Once he decided there was nobody left. I think using Gmac as a scapegoat ignores the fact our strategy stunk this cycle.

Who ultimately decides the strategy?

I don't get how these misses are on GMac or how the fan base can perceive that they are. You do not have to be an insider or anything to know what happened with the 2017 class. We had plan A at the Pg and the SG spots. Things changed, UK jumped in, Frank threw a haymaker, Knox went to UK none of which Gerry could control.
But it gives everyone a chance to take a shot at Gmac...

That's the thing about the long leash though. Seems like we can point to the whiffs all day with various reasons and excuses.

Maybe there really wasn't anything GMac could have done and losing these recruiting battles was out of his control. But these unlucky bounces seem to keep going against GMac. Fair or not, that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

GMac is an employee. There are things he has no say in. Green verballed to him but that doesn't mean that Gerry didn't suspect that something was funky in Philly long before that. Its still his job to keep recruiting. That was what he was assigned to do.
Calling GMac an employee is why some don't give him heat in his performance.

Hopkins had the great relationship with Neumann-Goretti HC and is on the staff and you give the keys to newer coach? JB and Hop something doesn't smell right there just based on this.

I don't care GMac got a silent verbal. Michigan got a verbal from Tyus Battle.

GMac needs a legit win on a priority recruit.

Anybody blaming Gmac for losing Quade and Tucker needs to reexamine where the blame is going (i.e. not on GMac).

We lost Tucker to Duke. Nearly every program that was in our shoes a few weeks ago would've seen the some result. If we hadn't backed off of Tucker for months, who knows.

The strategy we have in place is why we're losing recruits and not able to sufficiently make up for it.