Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you will rip me because that's you M.O. whenever you disagree with me, but you literally just compared us to St. Johns, Providence, BC, and Seton Hall. Not to mention UConn is at a strategic disadvantage because of their garbage conference.

It depends on what we disagree about.

If you start a thread saying it is time for JB to retire, only to retract it after we win our next game, yeah I'm going to rip you for acting ridiculous - like one win should tilt the balance from out the door to hey, stay awhile...

I do compare us to those programs. At one time, all were powerhouses, for a time, but were never able to maintain that status.

All also had ESPN, proximity to recruiting hotbeds, strong fan support (when they were winning).

Carnasecca retired, Pitino left, Davis left and Carlesimo left.

And, IMO, if Calhoun is still at UConn, they are still a powerhouse, regardless of their conference affiliation.

The Dome and JB were all that separated us from them and, while it may not seem so on the surface, our history could just as easily been theirs had JB accepted the Ohio State job.

Get the wrong guy(s) and do you think the dome would have saved us? Get the wrong guy and we might be back at Manley...

Last edited:
I think our fanbase, Dome, location to NYC and recruiting hotbeds will make the job Desirable enough that we will get a good coach.

The Old Big East schools aren’t a good comp as football is a huge factor in SU’s favor the P5 are becoming more powerful and with the way the NCAA is headed a split isn’t out of realm of possibility.

I think we will find a good HC. I acknowledge JB is an alltime great and his replacement won’t be as good but SU BB will be fine IMO. Townie acts like only JB can get it done.

You are actually a bigger Boeheim fan than Townie, because you acknowledge that he helped put the program in position to succeed after he leaves.

I think our fanbase, Dome, location to NYC and recruiting hotbeds will make the job Desirable enough that we will get a good coach.

The Old Big East schools aren’t a good comp as football is a huge factor in SU’s favor the P5 are becoming more powerful and with the way the NCAA is headed a split isn’t out of realm of possibility.

I think we will find a good HC. I acknowledge JB is an alltime great and his replacement won’t be as good but SU BB will be fine IMO. Townie acts like only JB can get it done.

I don't think Townie thinks that only JB can get it done.

I think he gets frustrated, as do I, when posters like Tbone and Franco seem to act like any idiot coach could have come in here and do what JB has both done, and continues to do.

I think Cooley and Willard are pretty good coaches #shrug.

I agree that they are but I don't think you would put Cooley in the same league with Pitino or Willard in the same league with Carlesimo (although Willard does seem like a damn-good coach so maybe he will)...

I sure hope so. We've been trying to find the right guy for football for 27 years...Pasqualoni turned out to not be good enough to keep us from mediocrity (acknowledging that there were other major factors conspiring against him) and we've been trying to dig our way out ever since...

I don't think Townie thinks that only JB can get it done.

I think he gets frustrated, as do I, when posters like Tbone and Franco seem to act like any idiot coach could have come in here and do what JB has both done, and continues to do.

I think that's a (very) overly-generous presumption.

You're talking about a poster who doesn't even have the decency to read and consider a thoughtful post like the one CuseCPT made a couple pages back; instead he just reflexively dismisses it with a thinly-veiled ad hominem attack. Just like he does in 99% of his posts on this board. That's not frustration. It's trolling, and it's inconsiderate to everyone who's trying to have an honest conversation here.

If you start a thread saying it is time for JB to retire, only to retract it after we win our next game, yeah I'm going to rip you for acting ridiculous - like one win should tilt the balance from out the door to hey, stay awhile...

I do compare us to those programs. At one time, all were powerhouses, for a time, but were never able to maintain that status.

All also had ESPN, proximity to recruiting hotbeds, strong fan support (when they were winning).

Carnasecca retired, Pitino left, Davis left and Carlesimo left.

And, IMO, if Calhoun is still at UConn, they are still a powerhouse, regardless of their conference affiliation.

The Dome and JB were all that separated us from them and, while it may not seem so on the surface, our history could just as easily been theirs had JB accepted the Ohio State job.

Get the wrong guy(s) and do you think the dome would have saved us? Get the wrong guy and we might be back at Manley...

Tbonezone and Franco are clueless posters (along with a few of the others) who disappear after wins. They complain about JB when we win or have good teams because we aren't playing a style they like or just like to talk about impending doom to be trolls.

I and a lot of the other people who criticize JB are not them. We actually post when we win. I thought the NC State loss was inexcusable. Like losing to Seton Hall back in the day at the dome. It was also midnight when i started that thread(not making excuses/just frustrated). That being said I think Townie and yourself greatly exaggerate the doom we face when trying to replace JB.

Tbonezone and Franco are clueless posters (along with a few of the others) who disappear after wins. They complain about JB when we win or have good teams because we aren't playing a style they like or just like to talk about impending doom to be trolls.

I and a lot of the other people who criticize JB are not them. We actually post when we win. I thought the NC State loss was inexcusable. Like losing to Seton Hall back in the day at the dome. It was also midnight when i started that thread(not making excuses/just frustrated). That being said I think Townie and yourself greatly exaggerate the doom we face when trying to replace JB.

Don’t forget me! I’m clueless too.

Not sure I'd characterize it as "doom".

I think it is harder than Alsacs seems to think it will be (and lord knows I hope that he is right and that I am dead-wrong on this) and I think the odds of us not hiring the right guy are higher than the odds of us hiring the right guy.

I think it will be difficult to replace JB. Not impossible, but difficult.

Not sure I'd characterize it as "doom".

I think it is harder than Alsacs seems to think it will be (and lord knows I hope that he is right and that I am dead-wrong on this) and I think the odds of us not hiring the right guy are higher than the odds of us hiring the right guy.

I think it will be difficult to replace JB. Not impossible, but difficult.

And for the record, I agree with this. What's Boeheim, .740 on the career? I have no faith that SU will find a successor who could replicate that over 10 years (much less 40+). There's a reason Boeheim's regarded as a great coach...because what he's done is very uncommon and difficult. It's much more likely than not that the guy he follows him won't match that standard.

In 0307's defense, he didn't say JB should retire. He made a hypothetical that if JB can't get us back to national prominence next year, with the recruiting class that he is bringing in, then it's time to move in another direction. I personally think that's pretty fair.

In 0307's defense, he didn't say JB should retire. He made a hypothetical that if JB can't get us back to national prominence next year, with the recruiting class that he is bringing in, then it's time to move in another direction. I personally think that's pretty fair.

Last I checked, we were still in the hunt for a tourney berth and not 9-18..

If 18-9 (7-7) is as bad it gets, sign me up for 1000 more years of JB...

Truly not trying to being offensive but man are you spoiled...if the team is again 18-9 (7-7) next year at this time, you would support firing him or forcing him to retire?

And for the record, I agree with this. What's Boeheim, .740 on the career? I have no faith that SU will find a successor who could replicate that over 10 years (much less 40+). There's a reason Boeheim's regarded as a great coach...because what he's done is very uncommon and difficult. It's much more likely than not that the guy he follows him won't match that standard.

Agree, but also think we have structural advantages that will prevent us from spiraling. The ACC, talent within 4-5 hours of campus, a fan base that may erode somewhat but can easily be activated. We saw that recently after "down" years from the 06, 07 and o8 seasons to explode again in popularity and excitement.

Truly not trying to being offensive but man are you spoiled...if the team is again 18-9 (7-7) next year at this time, you would support firing him or forcing him to retire?

With the talent next year there’s zero reason we should be that mediocre. More intelligent(Mason) basketball people than me have said that on here and don’t get nearly the pushback I do. If we are 9-9 with Brissett, Bazley, and Carey something is wrong.

Syracuse is never going to be Duke or North Carolina.
Those are 2 of the top 5 teams in America yearly.

Syracuse can be Louisville, Virginia and win conference titles and be safe tournament teams yearly.

JB isn’t the only coach who can make Syracuse a consistent tournament team. JB is a HOFer and alltimer but Arizona survived Lute Olson. Michigan State survives Jud Heathcode, Louisville survived Denny Crum.

Good programs can and will be fine.
You forget we haven’t made the Tournament every year. We miss it 2-3 times a decade.
I'm not sure Duke will be Duke when Coach K leaves. I think a Duke fan should be more worried about succession than an SU fan.

We have the Tarheels in the Dome tomorrow night for the biggest game of the season and all people want to do is regurgitate the past or day dream about what may or may not happen in the future? If this was a UCONN game from 10 years ago everyone here would be off the hook with anticipation and that really helps the atmosphere and the team. Focus on the task at hand (Steven Wright/Halfbaked) and let's get a W over Roy and UNC.

Year after year of bubble talk is offensive to me. And yes, if he's got a top 10 recruiting class, and returning players like we expect, and we are only 7-7 in ACC play, it's time to start the search process.

We have the Tarheels in the Dome tomorrow night for the biggest game of the season and all people want to do is regurgitate the past or day dream about what may or may not happen in the future? If this was a UCONN game from 10 years ago everyone here would be off the hook with anticipation and that really helps the atmosphere and the team. Focus on the task at hand (Steven Wright/Halfbaked) and let's get a W over Roy and UNC.
Friendly advice don’t read the thread and start your own thread on this subject. See how much interest that draws.

Agree, but also think we have structural advantages that will prevent us from spiraling. The ACC, talent within 4-5 hours of campus, a fan base that may erode somewhat but can easily be activated. We saw that recently after "down" years from the 06, 07 and o8 seasons to explode again in popularity and excitement.

GROB was "down"..06-08 weren't really down...they were down from elevated heights...we pull a Pitt...now that is down...

just 7-7 in ACC play. and the combined conference records of the 7 teams we beat (Pitt2x) are 33-69.
we need to take down a top dog.

Last edited:
You aren’t worth a response 75% you post. So whatever man. Go pound the Albany and UMass drums.
You should stop working out your male authority figure/ oedipal complex on Jim Boeheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom