Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgetown won 64% of its games under JT3, won 3 regular season Big East titles, 1 Conference tournament and was a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament 6 times in 13 seasons and made 1 Final Four.
How the hell is that irrelevant?
Momentum lasts foe a while and then winds down.

I know you think very highly of your own opinion, but what is so bad about anger?

I’d be concerned find their was apathy after a loss. There isn’t. The fans have high expectations. We expect to be top 25 year in and year out while being in the top four of the conference.

Historically we are the third or fourth best program in the league, but we haven’t been playing like that for a couple years.
My theory would be that the angriest, most frustrated fans will be the first to bolt. They are here for the winning.

Well the situation hasn’t changed in 40 plus years, now it’s a problem?

And you obvious don’t understand how financial aid at the Ivies works. (But, I do.)

Norte Dame is expensive. Duke is expensive. Georgetown is expensive. Virginia is expensive for out of state students. All the Ivies are very expensive.
Go check the US News and World Report on college rankings.
I am happy with my Newhouse degree and love my Alma mater but it’s not in the league academically with the Ivys or Duke, Notre Dame all elite academic institutions.

Plus I am aware how the Ivy system works they look at parents income and that decides how much you pay if at all. Harvard I believe it’s if your parents combined income is below 125k it’s tuition free.

Momentum lasts foe a while and then winds down.
They made the Final Four in 2007 and have been a top 4 seed 5 other times in the past 13 years.

They aren’t irrelevant like I want them to be.

JB ain't john wooden. he's got 1 title in 40+ years which ties him with kevin ollie and a host of others.

I realize you see national titles as some entitlement but the number of coaches in history who have won a title is actually pretty small.

As of today there are only nine coaches in the NCAA who currently have a title. And I’d wager that number is going to go down this spring.

Joe Biden is talking about running for President in 2020 and he will be 80 years old. The genetic repair treatments that they have discovered are real and can greatly rejuvenate a person who is already very healthy like JB. Why do you think Tom Brady and Drew Brees are still playing and look so young? This is a whole new era and I can tell you that Coach Boeheim will get these treatments and will be here for many more years.

just in case the diehards missed the death spiral the pollsters vote every week to remind the sane.

Autry has more checks off the box than GMac. If GMac take another job and proves he is good fine.
However if he is here the next 4-5 years then give me Autry who is looking for a HC job and wants to move up.

Does that mean Autry would find a position for his son to spaz around and act like a cheerleader on the sideline?

If so, I'm voting against that option as well.

Other than formerly being in the same conference, what do Georgetown and St. John’s have to do with Syracuse?

We’re in the ACC and they aren’t, we’ve been a consistent winner for much longer than they were, we are the only team a whole region cares about while they are well down the list in major cities even when they were good, we have better facilities(though I believe GTown is finally upgrading).

Agree; St. John's is a poor comparison for a lot of reasons, not least of which the fact that their descent wasn't the result of the loss of a great head coach (which the other poster seems to be suggesting was the case). St. John's lost the huge recruiting advantage of offering housing stipends. Carnesecca started having some down years. And by the time he retired, St. John's wasn't St. John's anymore.

Agree; St. John's is a poor comparison for a lot of reasons, not least of which the fact that their descent wasn't the result of the loss of a great head coach (which the other poster seems to be suggesting was the case). St. John's lost the huge recruiting advantage of offering housing stipends. Carnesecca started having some down years. And by the time he retired, St. John's wasn't St. John's anymore.

I mean St John’s plays half their games in a sixty year old five thousand seat field house in Queens and the other half in Manhattan at MSG.

How is that a legit comparison?

Oh, I wasn't aware, forgive me as I know threads never combine or ever stray off tangent here. I was referring to getting beat that way in the Dome in lacrosse as I responded to a post that mentioned it. I hope you feel better now that you've scolded me, "first off."

Yes, and I was rebutting that, by stating that the hoops team has taken a whole lot more and worse beatings at home, to much worse teams - which is, you know - actually on topic for this forum. ;)

I feel awesome, thx for asking. :cool:

No dynasty lasts forever. In sports or otherwise.

Your acting like a mewling quim about SU Lax getting taken to the woodshed by an upstart program at home (and Albany is a higher ranked team currently, if I'm not mistaken?) is akin to UCLA hoops fans being bummed about losing at home to a team like Gonzaga, for example - because they used to be so dominant X number of years ago, and that other team didn't rate back then.

tl/dr - get over it.

And people forget they had a resurgence many years after Carnesecca’s heyday where they were getting elite NYC kids that the entire country wanted like Felipe Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, Ron Artest, and Erick Barkley and made the elite 8 in ‘99 and spent much of 99 and 2000 in the top 10. Like you said, once the stipend went away they couldn’t get those kids anymore.

And people forget they had a resurgence many years after Carnesecca’s heyday where they were getting elite NYC kids that the entire country wanted like Felipe Lopez, Zendon Hamilton, Ron Artest, and Erick Barkley and made the elite 8 in ‘99 and spent much of 99 and 2000 in the top 10. Like you said, once the stipend went away they couldn’t get those kids anymore.

I hated that Barkley/Thornton team in 99/2000 and it took me like three days to get over that loss at MSG.

We definitely would’ve beaten them and won the BET that year. But you know, Georgetown.

My Dad who is 72, my uncle mid 60s and my next door neighbor late 50s all can't wait for Jim to retire.

For some reason people think we may have more championships with a different coach. I may not completely disagree for specific in game coaching but Jim (with the help of Pearl and ESPN) built this program. His consistency cannot be questioned and this year he has a team on the bubble that shouldn't be close.

He is a top ten coach all time and people need to be careful what the wish for (see Pitt and UConn). When he is gone we will not be the same. He is a geeky student of the game and is extremely intelligent and watches hours of basketball. His Demeanor and curmudgeon attitude annoys me sometimes but he earned that right.

I understand complaining about things you wish a coach would change but those of you who want him gone are nuts

I do not need to wait another minute. I dont care that its only Feb 19. This is my official nomination for SyracuseFan post of the year.

I have no idea what candidates were interviewed when Danforth left.
I wouldn’t bet on GMac being JB 2.0 if that is point.

I wouldn't either.

But the more I think about it - the notion that SU would somehow be willing to drop $3 mil plus on a "name" coach- as opposed to hiring a long-time SU assistant for $1 mil a year plus incentives - strikes me as very, very unlikely.

I wouldn't either.

But the more I think about it - the notion that SU would somehow be willing to drop $3 mil plus on a "name" coach- as opposed to hiring a long-time SU assistant for $1 mil a year plus incentives - strikes me as very, very unlikely.
We wouldn’t pay a long time assistant only 1 million plus incentives.
Mike Hopkins was making more 1 million the last few years while being HCIW.
JB took a hometown discount but still has made 2+ million a year.

The next HC will make 2-2.5 minimum probably 3 million.

This means lots of competition for the best candidates. All of which are crap shoots.
A lot of coaches get replaced every year and there will always be competition for the coaches who are perceived to be the best. That issue will always be present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom