Class of 2014 - Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Good comparison of Recruiting classes to date

Jersey DT Antoine white just picked penn state and the recent tod hunt article at nj.com said Rutgers 'cooled' on him. lol

That means that PSU is at 13 - they're almost full.

Even with the list of 7 I gave, we should be at 8 but the sites haven't recognized that Corey Cooper got reclassified to this class. He was a 10+ major offer kid out of North Carolina (including Miami, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Ok St.) and I would fully expect him to be in the 3-4 star range and a highly rated prep player that will be added to this class.

There are 4 guys right now that we should know where they are going over the course of the next couple of months that are 4 star recruits (or 3 stars depending on what site you look at) that fall into the long list of offer type guys - KJ Williams, WR PA - down to Michigan and SU, Steve Ishmael, WR FL - SU in top 3 with Illinois and Pitt, Chad Mavety, JUCO OT NR, SU in top 3 with OSU and Alabama, and Deion Hallmon, CB FL - SU in top 3 with RU and WVU. These 4 guys are the ones that we know about but there are others, like Qadree Ollison out of the Buffalo area that is one of the top regional recruits and a slew of Florida offers that haven't gotten as much pub as the other 4 guys I've mentioned. Most of the Florida names that have popped up for us are in the 6+ major offer type players. So with Cooper getting reclassified and the 4 mentioned above, I really expect at least 3 of Cooper, Williams, Ishmael, Mavety, or Hallmon added to our list of commits in the next few months.

Cabinda just picked SU today. Not sure where he ranked on Rutgers LB board with him being a NJ kid but Syracuse is taking 4-5 LBers this year, otherwise probably wouldn't have had room for him with the 3 already committed. If Rutgers was taking 4-5 LBers this year I'd venture to guess he would have had a RU offer.

I really expect us to be somewhere around 12+ recruits by the time we hit August. So we'll have a better feel then for where this class is headed. Then we'll just need to close down the stretch.

And there are still major wild cards out there, like a guy like Thomas Holley, who's looking past the trees for the forest right now. If he decides to stay close to home as has been rumored, by the time he decides there may be no room for him at PSU and RU which will limit his options, if those 2 schools continue to fill their classes as quickly as they have.

Looks like we will be going after a few of the same kids here. OL Mavety just left Ohio St and is taking a visit to Rutgers on Wed. Think we have a lot of ground to make up here to have a real chance though. Agree with Hallmon with offers from Wisconsin, South Carolina, FSU amoung many others down to SU, RU, and WVU.
Ollison is down to PSU, RU, SU, and Wisconsin as his finalists so there is another big time recruit up for grabs.

As far as linebacker RU wanted three and got their first choice NJs Gopre. After that they got anoer NJ kid they had been following for a while. They lost out on Burke(to Maryland) and then signed a Florida kid to finish up. Not sure where Cabdina fell on the RU board but I do not believe they offered him. Heard he is a very good player though from friends who watch the league he plays in.

Holley could end up anywhere as it seems he changes his mind like the wind about what he wants...

Will be interesting to see how things all shake out but I think both SU and RU can wind up with very strong classes here.

... i don't ever fluff up our recruits. but objectively speaking our 6 kids were early offers and early commitments - same as rutgers. rodney williams is a camp offer so how can anybody possible argue with that ?

you get your panties in a wad because of our total numbers in june. you did the same thing last year. whole lot of good it did last year having early commits from malik brown, augustus edwards and zach allen. i'll do my judging in February of 2014.

Do your judging whenever you want, wait as long as you want.

The thread was a comparison to how Rutgers was doing in this prime recruiting season -- and the answer is Rutgers is hitting it out of the park in this prime recruiting season. You don't like the topic, stay away until February.

Brown, Allen & Edwards (and Devan Carter) defected when their recruiting connections at SU went West on the Thruway. I wouldn't generalize that this happens every year.

But, on the main theme, I'd like to see SU get to the point where we win more recruiting battles in this prime period. We aren't there yet.

The thread was a comparison to how Rutgers was doing in this prime recruiting season -- and the answer is Rutgers is hitting it out of the park in this prime recruiting season.

But, on the main theme, I'd like to see SU get to the point where we win more recruiting battles in this prime period. We aren't there yet.

The prime period is between December and the end of January when the kids are taking 5 official visits and really deciding where they're going to go.

But as for 'hitting it out of the park' I think that's a stretch. Not to mention half the people on their board have been criticizing their own class. Heavy on rankings light on offers.

In my estimation, based on the below, they have 3 kids that hit it out of the park. The other kids look no different than what Syracuse is doing and the bottom half of their class doesn't really look that good at all.

Per Rovals

QB Tyler Wiegers 4* 5.8
(O) Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Toledo, Western Michigan, Iowa

DB Kiy Hester 4* 5.8
(O) Arkansas, BC, UConn, GT, Illinoi, Maryland, Miami, MichSt, Nebraska, UNC, Pitt, Purdue, SU, Vandy, WVU, Wisconsin

WR Adonis Jennings 4* 5.8
(O) Arizona, BC, Clemson, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Pitt, SU, Temple, UCF, Vandy, Washington ST, Western Michigan

RB Rob Martin 3* 5.7
(O) Arizona, Buffalo, UConn, GT, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Pitt, Purdue, Temple, Toledo, WVU

LB Sidney Gopre 3* 5.6
(O) Wisconsin, Miami, Temple

FB Jacob Kraut 3* 5.6
(O) Maryland, Western Michigan

TE Logan Lister 3* 5.5
(O) Houston, Nevada, Texas St., UCF, UTEP

DB Kam Lott 3* 5.6
(O) Akron, Indiana, Iowa St, Minnesota

DE Jim Hogan 2* 5.3
(O) UConn, Massachusetts, Central Florida

OL Justin Herron 2* 5.2
(O) BC, Old Dominion, Villanova

DE Don Bedell 2* 5.3
(O) UConn, Temple

LB Justin Nelson 3* 5.7
(O) Miami - questinable

WR David Njoku 3* 5.7
(O) BC

LB Brandon Russell 2* 5.4
(O) Western Kentucky

OL Jacquis Webb 3* 5.6
(O) Old Dominion

DB SaQuan Hampton 3* 5.6
(O) NONE

RB Josh Hicks, 3* 5.6
(O) NONE

TE George Behr 2* 5.4
(O) NONE

DT Pete Mokwuah 2* 5.3
(O) NONE

OL Zack Heeman 2* 5.3
(O) NONE

The prime period is between December and the end of January when the kids are taking 5 official visits and really deciding where they're going to go.

But as for 'hitting it out of the park' I think that's a stretch. Not to mention half the people on their board have been criticizing their own class. Heavy on rankings light on offers.

In my estimation, based on the below, they have 3 kids that hit it out of the park. The other kids look no different than what Syracuse is doing and the bottom half of their class doesn't really look that good at all.

Per Rovals

QB Tyler Wiegers 4* 5.8

DB Kiy Hester 4* 5.8
(O) Arkansas, BC, UConn, GT, Illinoi, Maryland, Miami, MichSt, Nebraska, UNC, Pitt, Purdue, SU, Vandy, WVU, Wisconsin

(O) Arizona, BC, Clemson, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Pitt, SU, Temple, UCF, Vandy, Washington ST, Western Michigan

RB Rob Martin 3* 5.7
(O) Arizona, Buffalo, UConn, GT, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Pitt, Purdue, Temple, Toledo, WVU

LB Sidney Gopre 3* 5.6

FB Jacob Kraut 3* 5.6

TE Logan Lister 3* 5.5

DB Kam Lott 3* 5.6

DE Jim Hogan 2* 5.3

OL Justin Herron 2* 5.2

DE Don Bedell 2* 5.3
(O) UConn, Temple

LB Justin Nelson 3* 5.7
(O) Miami - questinable

WR David Njoku 3* 5.7
(O) BC

(O) Western Kentucky

OL Jacquis Webb 3* 5.6
(O) Old Dominion

DB SaQuan Hampton 3* 5.6
(O) NONE

RB Josh Hicks, 3* 5.6
(O) NONE

TE George Behr 2* 5.4
(O) NONE

DT Pete Mokwuah 2* 5.3
(O) NONE

OL Zack Heeman 2* 5.3
(O) NONE

WOW the last 12 recruits really put the point across that we have been trying to make. Six of them have no other offer then Rutgers and three others have one offer each with those being Old Dominion, WKU, and BC. Hogan, Herrell and Bedell aren't exactly setting the world on fire either with that offer list. I dont know who looks more foolish those on the Rutgers board thinking this is a great class or SoBristol who things "they hit it out of the park" in prime recruiting season, lol.

Yes, we will fill the class with hidden gems and jucos. And we will convince ourselves we did just fine.
People won't like that statement, but I won't lie - it's not like we haven't ever seen that play out exactly as described.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

WOW the last 12 recruits really put the point across that we have been trying to make. Six of them have no other offer then Rutgers and three others have one offer each with those being Old Dominion, WKU, and BC. Hogan, Herrell and Bedell aren't exactly setting the world on fire either with that offer list. I dont know who looks more foolish those on the Rutgers board thinking this is a great class or SoBristol who things "they hit it out of the park" in prime recruiting season, lol.

exactly. you could go to 13 and add that kid from Texas.

the Mokwuah kid rovals is showing pitt and uconn but when I wrote his name down way back when he had zero offers. and so i checked tod hunt at nj.com and the kid stated himself he didn't have any offers.

People won't like that statement, but I won't lie - it's not like we haven't ever seen that play out exactly as described.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

When have we closed out a class with nothing but Jucos and under the radar kids? If anything we have added 1 or 2 under the radar guys after the recruiting season the past few years and outside of last year when we brought in a handful of JUCOs we have brought in what 1 or 2 at most. A little exaggeration there I think .

When have we closed out a class with nothing but Jucos and under the radar kids? If anything we have added 1 or 2 under the radar guys after the recruiting season the past few years and outside of last year when we brought in a handful of JUCOs we have brought in what 1 or 2 at most. A little exaggeration there I think .

yup. We've played the free agent market a bit after signing day because we've had so many roster openings but some people like to blow things way out of proportion. The juco's this last haul to is because our roster balance is still so screwed up.

But heck the late addition of the Avant kid and he's one of our highest rated prospects with offers to boot. Took and official visit to LVille.

yup. We've played the free agent market a bit after signing day because we've had so many roster openings but some people like to blow things way out of proportion. The juco's this last haul to is because our roster balance is still so screwed up.

But heck the late addition of the Avant kid and he's one of our highest rated prospects with offers to boot. Took and official visit to LVille.

Avant may end up being a huge get, getting a project O line guy is always a good thing especially when that guy knows he is a project and needs to redshirt. Could be a big help if we dont have a huge haul of OL this class, though I think we need at least 2-3 OL this class at the bare minimum.

I think that characterizes the close of our last class (and it was trending that way before the Marrone/Shafer switcheroo) and the one two seasons before that. The one in between those ended pretty well (Morris was a good close as I recall).

I think that characterizes the close of our last class (and it was trending that way before the Marrone/Shafer switcheroo) and the one two seasons before that. The one in between those ended pretty well (Morris was a good close as I recall).

Our end game recruits last season; from January on:

1/22/13 – WR Corey Winfield
(O) Missouri, Purdue, Northern Illinois and others

1/27/13 – OL Alex Hayes
(O) Central Florida, East Carolina, Tulane

1/27/13 – WR Corey Cooper – did not qualify
(O) Miami, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Illinois, Iowa St, Kentucky, LVille, Maryland, Minny, UNC, NCSt, Ok St, Pitt, Vandy, Wake, WashSt

1/28/13 – DB Chauncey Scissum
(O) Buffalo, Old Dominion

1/28/13 – QB Mitch Kimble
(O) NC State, Northern Illinois

1/30/13 – ATH Aaron Batten
(O) Kentucky, Minnesota, Duke, UConn, Temple, Bowling Green, Western Michigan

2/4/13 – ATH Brisly Estime
(O) NC State, Iowa St, Purdue, Cincinnati, FAU, FIU, Bowling Green, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan

2/5/13 – OL Kendall Moore
(O) Oklahoma, Illinois, Iowa State, Purdue, Indiana

WAIVER WIRE KIDS WELL AFTER SIGNING DAY

3/23/13 – LB Malcolm Howard juco
(O) NONE reported

4/7/13 – LB Alryk Perry
(O) Miami FL (per scowt)

4/8/13 – DE Tyler Marona juco
(O) Colorado / official visit, Maryland, New Mexico

4/18/13 – OL Mike Lasker juco
(O) SE Louisiana

4/29/13 – WR Sean Avant
(O) Louisville / official visit, Wake Forest, UCF, Temple, Marshall, FIU, Bowling Green

6/25/13 – OL Jamar McGloster
(O) NONE reported

I don't see how anyone can say they are beating us in recruiting when only two of their commits have SU offers.

Per Rovals

QB Tyler Wiegers 4* 5.8

DB Kiy Hester 4* 5.8

RB Rob Martin 3* 5.7

LB Sidney Gopre 3* 5.6

FB Jacob Kraut 3* 5.6

TE Logan Lister 3* 5.5

DB Kam Lott 3* 5.6

DE Jim Hogan 2* 5.3

OL Justin Herron 2* 5.2

DE Don Bedell 2* 5.3
(O) UConn, Temple

LB Justin Nelson 3* 5.7
(O) Miami - questinable

WR David Njoku 3* 5.7
(O) BC

(O) Western Kentucky

OL Jacquis Webb 3* 5.6
(O) Old Dominion

DB SaQuan Hampton 3* 5.6
(O) NONE

RB Josh Hicks, 3* 5.6
(O) NONE

TE George Behr 2* 5.4
(O) NONE

DT Pete Mokwuah 2* 5.3
(O) NONE

OL Zack Heeman 2* 5.3
(O) NONE

I don't see how anyone can say they are beating us in recruiting when only two of their commits have SU offers.

Its simple ... they are just beating commitments out of these kids :rolling: makes me want to go there ...

Per Rovals

QB Tyler Wiegers 4* 5.8
(O) Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Toledo, Western Michigan, Iowa Minnesota and Indiana are trying to get into the mix as well

DB Kiy Hester 4* 5.8

RB Rob Martin 3* 5.7

LB Sidney Gopre 3* 5.6
(O) Wisconsin, Miami, Temple, Michigan St., Iowa, Nebraska

FB Jacob Kraut 3* 5.6
(O) Maryland, Western Michigan, Auburn, Fla. International, Troy. Take in consideration that FB are never going to be heavily recruited by most schools. Still he was rated the best FB in the nation for whatever that's worth.

TE Logan Lister 3* 5.5
(O) Houston, Nevada, Texas St., UCF, UTEP He's a second tier TE from Texas, but I guess that's good enough consider the quality of football down in Texas.

DB Kam Lott 3* 5.6
(O) Akron, Indiana, Iowa St, Minnesota, South Carolina has offered recently

DE Jim Hogan 2* 5.3
(O) UConn, Massachusetts, Central Florida, Syracuse

OL Justin Herron 2* 5.2
(O) BC, Old Dominion, Villanova He's a camp offer who did very well against some highly rated kids. He's a project who has time to develop behind some other highly rated OL recruits for Rutgers the last 2 years.

DE Don Bedell 2* 5.3
(O) UConn, Temple Potential is the best way to put it.

LB Justin Nelson 3* 5.7
(O) Miami - questinable not questionable because the U was after him and teammates Hester and Jenkins. Jenkins a 2 star did commit to Miami U. Nelson made it clear he wanted to stay home and some school just stop trying to recruit him.

WR David Njoku 3* 5.7
(O) BC After a outstanding track season (spring) interest in him is high from Maryland and Penn St. Njoku won the NJ Meet of Champion high jump (6'11) and finished second in the triple jump (47'6). Actually Maryland just offered in the last few days. Penn St. is a long shot since space is limited.

(O) Western Kentucky Lack of offers seem crazy, but his film is for real. His HS coach was a former RU player.

OL Jacquis Webb 3* 5.6
(O) Old Dominion Don't know much about him. I thought you guys would know more about him.

DB SaQuan Hampton 3* 5.6
(O) NONE Maybe a diamond in the rough or a real reach

RB Josh Hicks, 3* 5.6
(O) NONE He was the first commit from almost a year ago. Plus his HS coach was a former RU player. Since then Fla. St. and Miami have been hot on the trail. Both are trying to get him on campus for a visit.

TE George Behr 2* 5.4
(O) NONE Now Minnesota has step up with their recruitment of Behr. They are pushing for him to come for a visit ASAP

DT Pete Mokwuah 2* 5.3
(O) NONE Maybe a diamond in the rough or a real reach

OL Zack Heeman 2* 5.3
(O) NONE RU is hoping to strike gold again like they did with this year's starting LT in Keith Lumpkin. Heeman, like Lumpkin was a basketball player and just started playing football. He camped at RU and showed great athletic ability to go along with holding his own against some good recruits. The staff was sold on his potential.

Each school is going to recruit players that fit their program and not someone else. The bottom line those kids have to develop once they set foot on campus. Some do and others don't. Rutgers is basing their success on a track record of kids buying into the program and style.

At some point, we probably won't have to debate this bs with Rutgers fans. They will be defending themselves against their Conference bretheren. At least I can hope that will happen. PS as a general rule, I do not read anything in red font . . . too hard on the eyes . . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom