Goodine starts from day one! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Goodine starts from day one!

If the backcourt minutes go mostly to joe, buddy, and Washington it would be our least athletic zone up top since 1996. Since JB favors defense I think it’s goodine and Carey’s job to lose.

Joe and Washington are not both going to play that many minutes.
They are competing, in all probability, for the 4th guard minutes.
If they are both playing a lot, that means both Carey and Goodine are injured.

Fwiw, Hughes practiced most of the time last year with the guards. After battle decided to come back, Hughes worked almost exclusively as a forward after the season.

Hughes played the forward spot for us this season defensively. Offensively, there really isn't any difference between how Hughes operated versus Buddy for example. If Boeheim thinks it would benefit the team, there's no real reason that Hughes couldn't be deployed as the "SG". He'd have to learn the defensive rotations from a different perspective but it really shouldn't be that difficult to do that in a year.

I doubt that that's the plan right now though.

narrator: when he was recovering from injury

Did you read this Daily Orange article about him?
Read this and tell me he was ever a four star.
He could barely play the game just a couple years ago.
He spent one year at Westtown, and had an injured hip most of the year.
But before that, he played in a league where nobody was taller than 6-3 and he was terrible.
He called his mother in Kenya and cried to her that he made a terrible mistake coming to the US. He cried on the court when he got yelled at by his coach. I truly hope for the best from this kid. But he has a long way to go. If you think he is our starting center next year, say so. Because I just don't see it.

Inside John Bol Ajak’s journey and commitment to Syracuse

I want to qualify this by stating up front that I expect Buddy to start. Kid had a good year, he played a ton, he's a great shooter, he's the coach's kid, etc. -- he almost certainly starts at 2.

That obligatory qualifier aside, I think that the main question for the lineup is: how good is Quincy Guerrier, and does he need to be out on the floor? If he isn't the stud I think he potentially might be, then he'll have to earn PT as a reserve. Hughes starts at 3, Buddy starts at 2.

But if he's really good, then I could foresee a starting lineup with Guerrier / Brissett at forward. Which in turn could have a cascade effect to the 2. Maybe under that set of circumstances, Hughes slides to 2 and Buddy continues to come off the bench, albeit playing a lot of minutes and being the team's sixth man who comes in for a lot of different players, and just has the lineup adjust depending on who's removed.

Again, I understand fully well intellectually that Buddy is JB's son, and is the likely starter at the 2. But in the interest of getting the "best 5" out there, per IMatt's post above, then Hughes at 2 could [emphasis on "could"] be something we see.

I 100% agree that what happens at PG and what happens at C are the two other big questions for the team.
I'm of the opinion QG will be very good. And yes this could bring about exactly what you describe - a Eli/OB/QG nucleus that gets floor time. In that scenario Buddy loses time. I think it might be somewhat easy for JB to do,- because it allows the natural progression of Buddy to get more time as a jr and senior.

My wildcard prediction is JG3 takes over the point duties during the season. Tough to see anyone uprooting J Carey preseason, but I see JG3 coming on. Yes JG3 will have to learn a different role, but I think he has what it takes to do it. I don't know how long JB will be able to stick with JC. It just doesn't seem like roles and functions translate over to JC. I think you tell JG3 once, bring the ball up and don't turn it over is priority 1, and the message gets through.
Also I think JG3's game will be a better complement to QGs - much like Buddy's game meshed better with Battle.

But before that, he played in a league where nobody was taller than 6-3 and he was terrible.
He called his mother in Kenya and cried to her that he made a terrible mistake coming to the US. He cried on the court when he got yelled at by his coach. I truly hope for the best from this kid. But he has a long way to go. If you think he is our starting center next year, say so. Because I just don't see it.

i've read everything you've read and likely more
i get that you are committed to the narrative you've constructed about him & are impervious to counter evidence. which is why i suggest you wait until we actually eat the pudding

and this thread is supposed to be about goodine/pg/guards anyway

Did anyone see stewart last night? He is am absolute animal/beast. If we had him, potential final four contenders with all the shooters.

Precious and Anthony were the stars of the game.

I mean he was an immigrant from Kenya who escaped the Sudanese Civil War. I forgive him for getting a little over passionate during his first several minutes of organized competitive basketball. This was years ago.

He’s not going to be Mutumbo his freshman year, he is a project in aspects of the game. But, unfortunately, our talent at the 5 is awful. I think he’s an improvement.

Doubt early playing times out of the question.

Which, hopefully is being differentiated from the "Hughes could be a guard" narrative.

To me he’s only playable there if we’ve got a big time PG.

He hasn’t shown much in terms of ballhandling or passing skills IMO. And he would likely need a lot of work defensively at the top of the zone.

i've read everything you've read and likely more
i get that you are committed to the narrative you've constructed about him & are impervious to counter evidence. which is why i suggest you wait until we actually eat the pudding

and this thread is supposed to be about goodine/pg/guards anyway

No, I said in the middle of last season when we had some new tape that he has improved. Not true. I am not committed to saying "This is the next Chino".

He can hit an open three. We have never had a big man who could do this (unless you count Elvir Ovcina). He is not a banger, though, and he is not a rebounder. He is a 7 foot finesse player.

He might get good, legitimately good, but it's going to take him a couple years of practicing and playing against college kids. Unfortunately our whole roster is full of stringbean finesse players at center, so I don't know that we're going to fully prepare him for what it's like to play Florida State or others teams with big physical front courts.

He will have a lot of growing to do, but he has some touch on his shot. That's more than a lot of our centers have had over the years.

Precious and Anthony were the stars of the game.

Stewart did play real well last night. But the other two were great. Anthony can do everything.

First time in years I didn't watch the burger boys game. Had no interest since we had no recruits and don't seem real interested in recruiting these elite guys any more. It's just a scrimmage for all the UK, Duke, UNC, KU, MSU recruits and a recruiting commercial for those schools.

Buddy's gonna transfer to Washington—prefers Hop's system—so it's wide open. Carey and Goodine, 1-2!

It really could be four guys

Washington Carey Goodine Girad

I don’t think Washington will play at all, i wish he would transfer because i don’t think JB has any confidence in his game. Never was really quick before the injury, don’t see it being better post injury

I love Buddy as a player. But I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet, just from a physical standpoint. We kind of saw that in the tournament game. He was a step slow getting out on shooters when he had to play a whole game, and his lack of acceleration was evident. And if he misses his first couple shots, he tends to get down on himself a bit, and it can snowball. We've seen games like that.

On the one hand, yes, Buddy is the coach's son, and he certainly had a great freshman year, shot lights out in conference play and was developing a midrange game and a better handle as the season went on.

On the other hand, JB isn't going to expose his son if it's not going well. Buddy got some DNPs against more athletic competition early in the year while Carey got his chance. I think JB sees Buddy's talent about as objectively as a guy could in his situation.

Buddy might start. If Goodine is "all that", Buddy might be better suited to coming off the bench and being our Microwave next year. Either way, I see him, Carey and Goodine all playing around 20-25 minutes a game, with Girard getting some time as a zone buster, like Buddy started out this past season.

If Goodine struggles to adapt because his handle isn't good enough to play some point, and if Carey goes through a stretch where he is a turnover machine, that might be when we see a Buddy-Hughes backcourt, or Buddy, Hughes and Girard sharing the duties of bringing up the ball in certain situations.
Buddy's obviously put in the skill work to be a good basketball player.

His improvement is likely to come as he dedicates himself to the physical preparation needed to excel at this level.

I think he can make some leaps there.

I see Battle grad transferring to Washington and Jordan Tucker and Brissett transferring to UW as well and getting waivers to play immediately so Coach Hopkins has a lineup of:

PG) Quade Green
SG) Tyus Battle
SF) Jordan Tucker
PF) Oshae Brissett
C) Isaiah Stewart

If you wear 3D glasses and squint, their purple uniforms may look orange, and the coach on the sidelines looks like he belongs in the Dome.

Last edited:
Precious shot it like 20 times and scored 22 points

Yep, 10/20.

FWIW, Anthony was MVP. And Khalil Whitney had 2 points and 1 rebound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom