Goodine starts from day one! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Goodine starts from day one!

Yep, 10/20.

FWIW, Anthony was MVP. And Khalil Whitney had 2 points and 1 rebound.
I thought tyrese maxey also looked pretty good. However judging someone from mcaag means nothing because last year everyone crazy over little locking up zion

Maybe he has the potential to be but he was far from outstanding in the zone as a freshman.

I think most of us would agree that Buddy showed good hands in the zone, and disrupted interior passes pretty well. He looked like he knew what he was supposed to do in the zone, which you would expect from the coach's son. He wasn't Andy Rautins (yet), but he matched and maybe surpassed Andy's sophomore year as a frosh. Buddy is going to be a borderline All-ACC player as an upperclassman.

Jalen Carey had just a couple steals less than Buddy for the year, playing about half as many minutes. Jalen Carey has long arms, he's a legit 6-3, he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of players, he stays low in his stance, and his arms are up most of the time on defense. He's fundamentally very sound defensively. He will be near the lead of the ACC in steals next year.

not when you realize that it's actually a stealth hit job on buddy

Buddy should be 6th man next year. He'd be lethal. He wouldn't have too much pressure and he could develop even more. I think Buddy can be near All-ACC as an upperclassman, but I don't think that physically next year he will be at that level yet. I think he needs another year of S&C.

By his junior year, he will hopefully be more explosive, stronger, and have worked on his handle. You don't question Buddy's work ethic, because just look at his game! But it's going to take some time for his body to catch up, and our S&C seems to never help with our hoops players. They never seem to get ripped.

This “Hughes is a/should be a guard” narrative is one of the weirder ones I’ve seen on here.
It’s only because we have Mareck and Oshae as our two best rebounding and defensive forwards

Buddy should be 6th man next year. He'd be lethal. He wouldn't have too much pressure and he could develop even more. I think Buddy can be near All-ACC as an upperclassman, but I don't think that physically next year he will be at that level yet. I think he needs another year of S&C.

By his junior year, he will hopefully be more explosive, stronger, and have worked on his handle. You don't question Buddy's work ethic, because just look at his game! But it's going to take some time for his body to catch up, and our S&C seems to never help with our hoops players. They never seem to get ripped.
Totally agree. Buddy as a bench option to get a chamge of pace is the move

If he’s not our best two guard, I agree.

But I have a feeling he’ll be our best two guard.
I could v easily see Girard playing the point and Carey at 2. Would love to see Goodine show he’s good enough to start tho. He’s underrated I think

I could v easily see Girard playing the point and Carey at 2. Would love to see Goodine show he’s good enough to start tho. He’s underrated I think

That’s a freshman and a guy who stunk this year.

I’d love it too...if they’re good enough to push Buddy to 6th man, we’re in good shape in the backcourt because right now Buddy is the only guy I’m 100% confident will produce.

If it gets the best 5 players on the floor, you may see it at times next year.
After all, even Rafael Addison got time at guard his senior year.
As I recall, Raf was at guard his entire senior year.

As I recall, Raf was at guard his entire senior year.

He was, but I think I recall him hurting his wrist, and wasn't sure if he stayed outside after that happened. Boeheim might have put him closer to the basket so he didn't have to shoot it from distance so often.

If he’s not our best two guard, I agree.

But I have a feeling he’ll be our best two guard.

He might be. And he tries to keep his head in the game, and just making basketball plays if he misses a shot. But if you do look at his season, if he missed his first couple shots, he probably didn't make one at all that game. He still felt some pressure. He had a tremendous year - better than Andy Rautins as a sophomore, seriously.

I do believe he can sniff the All-ACC team as a junior / senior, and how many coaches' sons are ever that good. I do believe in Buddy. But I also don't want to crush him with expectations next year, just because he IS so promising. Let him grow into the role.

As his dad said, he played 14 minutes a game and averaged about 8 points. That's pretty good. He had one of the best freshman years we have seen.

But let him play 20-25 minutes next year, and he'll probably shoot close to 40% for the whole year, and he'll average 10-12 points off the bench, a couple assists, a couple rebounds and a couple steals. I mean, seriously, that is Andy Rautins as a junior. Buddy is that good next year, trying to keep expectations reasonable.

Physically, Andy had a redshirt year, plus his sophomore year, before he became what Buddy should be next year. But if we think Buddy is going to play 30-35 minutes a game next year, he's going to get tired, because his athleticism and fitness isn't at that level yet. He won't shoot close to 40%, he might shoot 32% because he'll be worn down and will have a target on his back from opposing defenses. He can't run off screens yet like Cooney could, or like Andy could for that matter. But he's getting there.

Goodine is good. Carey is good. Hughes is good, averaged 14 points and 35% from three, shooting twice as many threes as Buddy. He will probably be our best player next year. (I am truly impressed, by the way. I didn't think he would be this good.)

Girard can shoot from anywhere, but I'm not sure if he can guard anyone, even in a zone, unless it's against Colgate, Eastern Michigan or Niagara. Buddy is to be trusted on the floor, but you can't ride that horse too long next year. Take the long view here.

saying it doesn't make it so
elijah hughes played close to zero minutes at guard at syracuse & ecu combined. counting his season at ecu, he has played many more minutes as a big forward than he has as a guard

so that's 5 guards

we have hughes, oshae, marek, braswell and guerrier as forwards 5 forwards

we will have bourama, marek, and jba as centers. 3 centers

unless you are practicing some kind of new math with which i am unfamiliar, that does not look like an unbalanced roster
You count Marek twice and Hughes once and ask me to check my math.
Clown.

You count Marek twice and Hughes once and ask me to check my math.
Clown.
iu

I'll take a Billy Donovan type (JR & Sr) Year, 4 Guard team and one good Big man..

A back court of Girard-Boeheim would get lit up like a pinball machine. I don’t think that conbo can play long stretches next year.

I would expect Carey- Goodine-Buddy will be the three guards getting the majority of minutes.
I agree, but it’s going to be difficult to keep Girard off the floor. Shooters find a way to get on the court, ala Buddy, ready or not.

Goodine/ Hughes should be the backcourt for us to be most successful next year imo, have to get goodine and Guerrier big minutes for us to be good!!!
One of those two guys has not shown he can score at this level.

One of those two guys has not shown he can score at this level.
Agreed but having seen them both play, they will be 2 of our best players next year!!! Will be surprised if both of them don’t start!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom