Gottlieb is obscessed with the non-conference schedule | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb is obscessed with the non-conference schedule

SWC75

Bored Historian
(yeah, I know, another Gottlieb post- but there's an issue here)

Gottlieb wants South Florida out because 8-6 non conference record. This team was 13-7 in the Big East, including the tournament. How can you leave a team out that won that many games in a power conference? Gottlieb actually seems to think that what happened in November and December is more important Than what happens in January and February.

Gottlieb wants South Florida out because 8-6 non conference record. This team was 13-7 in the Big East, including the tournament. How can you leave a team out that won that many games in a power conference? Gottlieb actually seems to think that what happened in November and December is more important Than what happens in January and February.

The only thing I agree with him in regards to this (I know agreeing with him is taboo here) is they really beat noone in conference. I still think they deserve and will get a bid but I can certainly see the argument for why they dont deserve one. To me they are no different than Tennessee who finished 2nd in their goofy half conference of the SEC.

Plus their pg was out the whole time, bet he didnt mention that

I agree with him on USF. They aren't bad, but they padded their conference resume against the bottom half of the league. Those 13 wins are more like 9.5 wins base on who they played.

Aren't you listening? The big east is a horrible horrible conference. None of their wins should count for anything. ;)

I agree with him on USF. They aren't bad, but they padded their conference resume against the bottom half of the league. Those 13 wins are more like 9.5 wins base on who they played.

solid bubble team who only has one signature win (at LVille) but they took care of business against everybody in the league except for the top teams (SU, ND, UConn, GTown, Marq and WVU).

Beat Nova 3 times
Beat Pitt twice
Beat Lousiville on the road
Beat Cinncinati
Beat Seton Hall

The only thing I agree with him in regards to this (I know agreeing with him is taboo here) is they really beat noone in conference. I still think they deserve and will get a bid but I can certainly see the argument for why they dont deserve one. To me they are no different than Tennessee who finished 2nd in their goofy half conference of the SEC.

The SEC doesn't have two divisions anymore

Over the last five years when teams are essentially evenly matched if you like the entire year, they seem to favour the team with the better OOC. It has been a consistent message from the committee year after year.

I'd rather take a team like Drexel than a mediocre BCS team.

Don't look now, but Doug was just fairly complimentary toward SU. Such an .

Yeah I caught that too. He has to backtrack now that everyone else lost too.

The criteria that the Selection Committee looks at is always changing and the overall body of work is a major factor now. By that standard, South Florida's record in the Big East becomes less significant because most of their victories came against weaker conference teams.

I always felt how a team was playing at the end of the season should be a major factor in selecting at-large teams. It is a good indication of the level of play they are likely to bring into the tourney. If the NCAA took that into consideration, South Florida would be in and Seton Hall would definitely be out. But the overall body of work is overemphasized now by the Selection Committee and we get underserving teams like Villanova which lost seven of its last nine games last season. The Wildcats record in November and December was the only thing they had going for them on Selection Sunday last year.

Go Cuse!

Fairly, but judging by the look on his face it seemed like he really didn't want to say it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom