Grant of Rights | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Grant of Rights

If this happens then every single college fanbase should troll the WVU boards and make their lives miserable for a couple hours for all the crap they have spewed on the internet. Also, this means SU is safe and I am even more thankful for the work Dr. Gross and Chancellor Cantor have done. Also, UConn is thinking can we join the Big East?

David Glenn Show@DavidGlennShow
6m
BREAKING: Multiple DG sources says ACC will announce unanimous 15 school agreement extending Grant of Media Rights
The results of the Maryland-ACC lawsuit just got a lot less interesting to a lot of people.

My take: the highest stake game of musical chairs ever played just ended. At least until the Big 12's GOR expires.

Who knows, maybe this is a good thing for UConn. The B1G might decide they can't wait to get to 16 and take UConn and someone (who?) else to get to 16. If the cable television market collapses as some think, the B1G might have missed out on their best chance to land the big names.

I checked and as best I can determine, the B12 GOR expires in 2017. Correction: the Big 12 GOR originally expired in 2017 but was extended to 2025. When it expires, I think the Big 12 gets stripped by the big conferences. Texas will be the big prize the B1G, SEC, Pac 10 and ACC fight over. I like the ACC's chances there, especially given they have already shown themselves willing to accomodate a member's unique media needs (Notre Dame).

The Dude weeps in his mom's basement somewhere in West Virginia.

Also, how much of a boss is John Swofford? His conference was left for dead and all he managed to do was improve it in every conceivable way by trading Maryland for Louisville.

Also, how much of a boss is John Swofford? His conference was left for dead and all he managed to do was improve it in every conceivable way by trading Maryland for Louisville.
Swofford seems to have done a fine job...but I'd take Maryland's academics over Pappa John's any day and a dozen times on Sunday. ;-)

Greensboro, N.C. - The Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents announced today that each of the current and future 15-member institutions has signed a grant of media rights, effective immediately.
"This announcement further highlights the continued solidarity and commitment by our member institutions," said ACC Commissioner John Swofford. "The Council of Presidents has shown tremendous leadership in insuring the ACC is extremely well positioned with unlimited potential."
"The ACC has long been a leader in intercollegiate athletics, both academically and athletically," said the collective ACC Council of Presidents. "Collectively, we all agree the grant of rights further positions the ACC and its current and future member schools as one of the nation's premier conferences."
The ACC's current and future 15-member institutions include:
Boston College
Clemson University
Duke University
Florida State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Louisville
University of Miami
University of North Carolina
North Carolina State University
University of Notre Dame
University of Pittsburgh
Syracuse University
University of Virginia
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Wake Forest University

About the Atlantic Coast Conference:
The Atlantic Coast Conference, now in its 60th year of competition, has long enjoyed the reputation as one of the strongest and most competitive intercollegiate conferences in the nation. Since the league’s inception in 1953, ACC schools have captured 127 national championships, including 67 in women’s competition and 60 in men’s. In addition, NCAA individual titles have gone to ACC student-athletes 146 times in men’s competition and 102 times in women’s action. For more information, visit theACC.com.

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/042213aaa.html

Arb where are you??!!
Right here...:) and a ;) and a:rolling:

I have been trying to take you all down a path that I was not allowed to discuss...if you go back to several earlier posts I believe I have led you to this point...remember the ACC Network and leading a horse to water...and saying remain calm everyone it will be okay...WELL its better than okay...
Here is a great article if you have not read!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...r/22116192/acc-approving-grant-of-rights-deal

Now what does it mean...most likely the ACC network is going to be unveiled soon. What is important is the timing of all this...until 2025 most of everything in college sports realignment is going to be shut down...and oh by the way, the Notre Dame contract also ends along with the new BCS contracts about the same time...as for Maryland, stand-by...it is going to be okay...not sure the $50,000,000 gets hit but the dollars for the conference are just going up and up. Its good to be 'Cuse! More to discuss really, really soon...'ITS A 'CUSE HUG!

Not saying its so, but a GOR for the ACC, could be the straw that entices Notre Dame to join, because now they know that the ACC will be around for a long time.

I view this as a good thing but there are plenty of people celebrating this who gave no credence to the B12 GOR saying that there were ways around it and it wouldn't stop realignment. I guess it depends on where you view things from.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Right here...:) and a ;) and a:rolling:

I have been trying to take you all down a path that I was not allowed to discuss...if you go back to several earlier posts I believe I have led you to this point...remember the ACC Network and leading a horse to water...and saying remain calm everyone it will be okay...WELL its better than okay...
Here is a great article if you have not read!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...r/22116192/acc-approving-grant-of-rights-deal

Now what does it mean...most likely the ACC network is going to be unveiled soon. What is important is the timing of all this...until 2025 most of everything in college sports realignment is going to be shut down...and oh by the way, the Notre Dame contract also ends along with the new BCS contracts about the same time...as for Maryland, stand-by...it is going to be okay...not sure the $50,000,000 gets hit but the dollars for the conference are just going up and up. Its good to be 'Cuse! More to discuss really, really soon...'ITS A 'CUSE HUG!
Great stuff Arb! Appreciate the info and can't wait for the details to be released !

Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerCBS

I'm told #ACC annual media rights money, in light of GOR completion, will average $20-plus-million per school starting July 1
Anyone remember the Swarbrick and Swofford news article I posted that they said: don't worry the ACC will have just as good or better TV rights contract...for all you non Notre Dame and Swofford proponents...eat crow now! Yipee!!!!

I view this as a good thing but there are plenty of people celebrating this who gave no credence to the B12 GOR saying that there were ways around it and it wouldn't stop realignment. I guess it depends on where you view things from.

A GOR isnt 100% fool proof but its as close to it as you can get. There was a good article linked from the WVU board of all places I read a few moments ago that approached a GOR through your lense and stated why its all but a lock for no further expansion against the ACC. This is the best outcome we as Syracuse fans could have hoped for, this is more important for SU athletics then the final four was a few weeks ago.

...and just to make sure everyone is on the same page...Notre Dame is also signing...they are connected to the ACC for the length of the GOR and beyond...Notre Dame had lots to do with this...along with Swofford and several presidents of ACC championing the GOR for past several months...and of course the TV partner-ESPN!

UConn upon hearing the news...

sad_face.gif

I'm sure there are ways around it, but it does show a level of commitment that many people (Big 12, B1G, UConn fans, etc) that were hoping for the ACC to blow up didn't think existed. This seems like a great day for the ACC and for Syracuse.

Swofford seems to have done a fine job...but I'd take Maryland's academics over Pappa John's any day and a dozen times on Sunday. ;-)

It's such a contrast when you view Maryland and Louisville's academics, versus their ability to manage an athletic budget. Obviously very disparate concepts.

I think people figured there was a way around it for Texas and Oklahoma. Meaning if one leaves, so does the other, and there's a compelling argument that the league folds shop on the spot. Which people assumed makes the GOR null and void.

Does the ACC have something similar? Depends who goes, but hopefully more strength in numbers being at 14 teams (well 14 and a very big half) vs 10.

Took a hit on academics there, but ... ultimately achieved greater conference stability. Now, he seems focused on an even bigger coup ... an ACC network.

I doubt that anything short of the conference or the media partner exploding will successfully attack the GOR.
And I must have right - Arb is the Director of the NSA.

Swofford is having a very, very good day. Delany? Not so much.

Part of the reason the B1G went after geographical pawns, Rutgers and Maryland, was to eventually destabilize the ACC to the point where real prizes like UNC or Ga Tech etc would jump.

Instead, the ACC ended up with an agreement with Notre Dame (which may eventually lead to full membership down the line) and traded an athletic powerhouse Louisville for Maryland.

The B1G added two football bottom feeders with little sex appeal and weren't able to reach their goal of adding two big time programs (UNC and Ga Tech or UVA) and killing the ACC.

Today was a good day.

Swofford is having a very, very good day. Delany? Not so much.

Part of the reason the B1G went after geographical pawns, Rutgers and Maryland, was to eventually destabilize the ACC to the point where real prizes like UNC or Ga Tech etc would jump.

Instead, the ACC ended up with an agreement with Notre Dame (which may eventually lead to full membership down the line) and traded an athletic powerhouse Louisville for Maryland.

The B1G added two football bottom feeders with little sex appeal and weren't able to reach their goal of adding two big time programs (UNC and Ga Tech or UVA) and killing the ACC.

Today was a good day.
Delany increased the payout to his top-tier teams by conscripting the hapless cable subscribers of NJ and MD. He could care less about the quality of the athletics programs floundering in his food vacuole.