Gross is ticked! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gross is ticked!

It's hard to ferret out just what Gross's problem is with SU playing this game. We haven't heard what the conflicts are yet ... or at least I haven't. So it's hard to judge how legitimate or weighty Gross's complaint is.

Absent this information, I think this is SU "firing a shot across the bow of the Big East". They are telling the Big East. "Look, we have been cooperative and collegial in this. We aren't suing anybody. We have raised a public stink. But at the same time, don't screw with us.

Our relationship (between the Big East and SU) has fundamentally changed. We don't want this divorce to be adversarial and bitter, so you need to do your part to keep it from descending into that.

That means that you need to exercise some caution in how you Big East guys deal with us.

As SU's entrance into the ACC gets closer and closer attitudes are going to change. It hasn't quite sunk in. But as it does I can see SU becoming harder and harder to deal with and less willing to cooperate. More and more the feeling is going to be, "Why don't you azzholes just let us go. This dying relationship isn't helping anyone". (Do you really want to see an SU Big East home game on TV with big ACC decals on the court floor?).

I expect we are going to see some bad behavior and more bruised feelings at some of SU's in-conference home games.

It's like a couple who have decided to divorce. They may continue to go places together socially until the divorce becomes final, but they can no longer accept invitations individually and without double checking with their soon-to-be ex. The relationship has fundamentally changed. There is no future to it. You can no longer assume cooperation..

It's hard to ferret out just what Gross's problem is with SU playing this game. We haven't heard what the conflicts are yet ... or at least I haven't. So it's hard to judge how legitimate or weighty Gross's complaint is.

Absent this information, I think this is SU "firing a shot across the bow of the Big East". They are telling the Big East. "Look, we have been cooperative and collegial in this. We aren't suing anybody. We have raised a public stink. But at the same time, don't screw with us.

It's like a couple who have decided to divorce. They may continue to go places together socially until the divorce becomes final, but they can no longer accept invitations individually and without double checking with their soon-to-be ex. The relationship has fundamentally changed. There is no future to it. You can no longer assume cooperation..

Completely agree--that's basically what I thought when I first saw Gross's comments.

I think it had very little to do with the game, and more to do with bigger picture issues as we wind down our tenure in the BEC. The game was just the impetus for Gross to vent.

Disagree - TGD is acting like a spoiled child.

A big Dome BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! to YOU!!! ;)

C'mon, man. The BE leadership is ridiculous at this point. If TGD had conversations with these people about NOT playing, and they put SU in anyway, F them. He needs to look out for SU's interests, not the NNBE.

Don't you understand that this has little to nothing to do with any "replacment game"?
Please enlighten me then. If you think this isn't about money, then it appears you are buying the vague conspiracy thing DG appears to be conjuring up. Without specifics I will continue to believe this is a smokescreen to hide the issue, which is DG wants more money.

Did DG go to the Bobby Davis school for presenting Vague Evidence? Where is the "As we discussed on 3/12"? Where is the completed schedule? How, exactly, is SU now overcommited? It looks like every school, including Pitt, kept those dates available.

Either DG is a buffoon (replying cc:all) or being purposely vague (no real details in an email BE wide). If he's being purposefully vague, then I question his case and his motives.

From a basketball perspective I look at the whether SU will have a better schedule with this game or without. It looks like you can only schedule 31 regular season games. So, to me, this is all about the "replacement game". If DG is proposing we don't play at AR, but instead play at MSG vs UK, he would get my support. But I feel that is not the case. I think he will bring up something lame like the scheduled Temple game or the SDSU game were put in ARs place. But he didn't say that in the email, now did he? And the rest of SUs schedule will be filled with semi-patsies at home where the payout is better.

Do you think SUs BBall schedule will be better with or without the AR game?

What would consist of not getting screwed by the BE? A home game vs. Kentucky?

It's a one road game - jesus christ.

Then why don't your Huskies play the game? Or the Cards? I find it amazing that the BE allows it's highest ranked team, Louisville, to sit this out. You think including SU against it's wishes and leaving out a Pitt team that was depending on a home payday is coincidence? This is a screw job, plain and simple. Gross outed the BE offices for their selective incompetence and now something will happen. I bet SU plays the game, but gets a $$$ discount on their exit fee. Pitt filed a lawsuit. Gross is going for trial by media, which we here know all too well. Embarrass the BE officers for the clowns they are.

I doubt UConn would sit idly by if they were the one's getting screwed. We'd see Calhoun's statement in the paper already.

Please enlighten me then. If you think this isn't about money, then it appears you are buying the vague conspiracy thing DG appears to be conjuring up. Without specifics I will continue to believe this is a smokescreen to hide the issue, which is DG wants more money.

Did DG go to the Bobby Davis school for presenting Vague Evidence? Where is the "As we discussed on 3/12"? Where is the completed schedule? How, exactly, is SU now overcommited? It looks like every school, including Pitt, kept those dates available.

Either DG is a buffoon (replying cc:all) or being purposely vague (no real details in an email BE wide). If he's being purposefully vague, then I question his case and his motives.

From a basketball perspective I look at the whether SU will have a better schedule with this game or without. It looks like you can only schedule 31 regular season games. So, to me, this is all about the "replacement game". If DG is proposing we don't play at AR, but instead play at MSG vs UK, he would get my support. But I feel that is not the case. I think he will bring up something lame like the scheduled Temple game or the SDSU game were put in ARs place. But he didn't say that in the email, now did he? And the rest of SUs schedule will be filled with semi-patsies at home where the payout is better.

Do you think SUs BBall schedule will be better with or without the AR game?

Read Townie's post, I think he hit the nail on the head. We are no longer married to the Big East, SU needs to look out for its own economic interests. This is one small move that can be made to cause the Big East problems and headache while we await them ending our headache and agreeing to let us go after this season. This particular issue isn't the big picture, its just one piece of the larger puzzle.

We should stop acting like weasels and find a way to play the game...irrespective of the obligations and behaviors of other BE members or the conference execs.

And we do owe Arkansas a beating, don't we?

Yes we do. And I have a way to get tickets, so I hope we do play. But I hope TGD's email has the desired effect on the BE as well. Endgame.

Agreed. The whole reason for setting up this series is for tv and the highest ranked BE team is sitting home. It's stupid.

Agreed. The whole reason for setting up this series is for tv and the highest ranked BE team is sitting home. It's stupid.

It is. This is what i think happened. The BE knew Louisville was sitting this one out, as was UConn. Therefore, the only true draw they had left was SU. Can't let SU sit out. But, let's not make this good for everyone and find a way for SU to play UK. No, let's give the marquee game to (EDIT: NOTRE DAME) and send SU to Fayetteville because so many TV sets are there. The whole thing doesn't make sense. Meanwhile, Pitt was scheduled to play a home game in the challenge this year and gets the cold shoulder. Coincidence? No way. Pitt is the one party that is REALLY getting screwed in this mess.

The SEC would NEVER let UK sit this out. And the BE let's Louisville sit idle? That's the difference in leadership right there.

I think that SU should call Pitt and schedule their "first" ACC game at Pitt for this season. Put the new logos on the floor, let Raycom pick the game up, and split the proceeds. F Providence. Give Pitt and both fan bases a preview game, and a home game that will certainly make up for whatever crap the BE would have given them. How'd that be for a big ?

l'ville asked to be left out,and the big east grants them their wish not wanting to piss them off even more. I have gross's back on this issue as he seems to be holding a few aces up his sleeve here.

I don't think it was a conspiracy. A conspiracy is secretive. It was blatant. They just used Syracuse to boost attendance at other teams' stadiums, while giving SU more weekday home games. I'm sure it was viewed as being in the best interests of the Big East. You can believe me or not, frankly I don't care.

Just for sh1ts I checked our Syracuse's schedule last season.

By my count of 2011-2012 Big East weekend games: 5 road games - 5 home games.

So then I got a little more interested, just to see how full of you really are:

2010-2011. 5 road weekend games - 5 home weekend games.
2009-2010: 4 road weekend games - 5 home weekend games.
2008-2009: 2 road weekend games - 6 home weekend games.
2007-2008: 3 road weekend games - 5 weekend home games.
2006-2007: 5 road weekend games - 4 weekend home games...PRETTY SUSPICIOUS.
2005-2006: 4 road weekend games - 4 weekend home games.

Instead of all this, why don't you go back to the UConn forum and try to help your fellow Huskies sort through their conundrum.

How can they trash the ACC on one hand and pray for admission to the ACC on the other?

Why would they cheer for a Big 12 raid of Clemson and FSU as a way to get an invite to a less-desirable ACC?

These people need help to sort their way through all this conflict and confusion.

Sgt. Cuse said: "Either DG is a buffoon (replying cc:all) or being purposely vague (no real details in an email BE wide). If he's being purposefully vague, then I question his case and his motives."

Believe me, the people that DG sent the e-mail to need no interpreter to understand where he is coming from. We may not know the whole story yet, but I'm certain they do.

Sgt. Cuse said: "Either DG is a buffoon (replying cc:all) or being purposely vague (no real details in an email BE wide). If he's being purposefully vague, then I question his case and his motives."

Believe me, the people that DG sent the e-mail to need no interpreter to understand where he is coming from. We may not know the whole story yet, but I'm certain they do.
Good point Real. I hoping this gets the message across without the need for canceling the game. Things seem to be getting a little contentious.

I am wondering just how ugly this extended departure period is going to get.

Upon exiting Big East, The BC AD said "I'm glad that is over with" or something to that effect. BC student buses had been pelted with rocks and bottles at UConn.

We can expect to get a lot of feedback on just how the fans of the left-behinds feel.

I would expect UConn and Rutgers fans to be most disappointed and the worst behaved. Followed by St Johns and Georgetown and Villanova.

It's hard to imagine that Cincy and UL would have much of a bitch. After all, we don't have a lot of history with them. But who knows.

Thank goodness, WVU is gone. That's the fan base with the greatest potential for acting stupidly.

This hanging on in the Big East does nothing for SU and it does little for the Big East. It's a beneficial to everyone to get us on our way as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Who were the games against?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom