Guys are playing more minutes than their production justifies | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Guys are playing more minutes than their production justifies

Also known as the reason message boards were created, you old so and so.

No. That's not why message boards were created. It's how you choose to use them.

And it is surprising how sensitive the "Trophies and juice boxes for everyone' generation is when faced with relative adversity. I thought my parents generation was tough (The Depression and WWII) and I never thought of my own as being tough. But compared to what I see now, there's no comparison.

No. That's not why message boards were created. It's how you choose to use them.

And it is surprising how sensitive the "Trophies and juice boxes for everyone' generation is when faced with relative adversity. I thought my parents generation was tough (The Depression and WWII) and I never thought of my own as being tough. But compared to what I see now, there's no comparison.
Must be amazing to be you, knowing and seeing all. And tough too!
You get 2 juice boxes.

It's a saying that has been around forever. Knight didn't make it up.

And until the PC revolution, no one much cared about it. They knew it was a little raw, but it did make the point. But these days, the media can cash in on whoever uses it as "insensitivity to rape victims" to the clucking of the Politically correct.

It's perfect for the mental midgets who are running around the country tearing down historical monuments that they find offensive.

You can complain all you want. But don't pretend you know what the answers are. I mean other than ridiculous nostrums like "Recruit better players".
That's an utterly moronic statement. Maybe no meathead guys "much cared about it" but I'm quite sure women have always been offended by it.

You know what being PC actually is? Just not being a dick.

Must be amazing to be you, knowing and seeing all. And tough too!
You get 2 juice boxes.

When things are soooo obvious, it doesn't take much talent or sensitivity.

It's hard to see your own generation without experience.

In my high school gym classes there were kids from each grade. Skinny thirteen year olds were in the same class with heavily muscled and bearded 19 year olds.

We frequently played "dodgeball" a game in which six fully-inflated basketball were thrown out on the gym floor while the gym teacher went to his office and closed the door. The last man standing who hadn't been hit, won the games.

13 yr. olds were trapped in corners cowering with their hands over their privates while near men wound up and threw basketballs overhand at them from 15 feet away. No one complained. No irate mothers showed up demanding this stop. No lawyers threatened a suit. Kids just survived it. It was training for the real world, I guess.

When I see what people now consider "bullying" (e.g., lack of "inclusion") it's quite hilarious. This really is the weakest generation ever.

That's an utterly moronic statement. Maybe no meathead guys "much cared about it" but I'm quite sure women have always been offended by it.

You know what being PC actually is? Just not being a dick.

What about "It was a commonly used phrase" and not even remarkable don't you understand.

Your hyper-sensitivity is showing.

When things are soooo obvious, it doesn't take much talent or sensitivity.

It's hard to see your own generation without experience.

In my high school gym classes there were kids from each grade. Skinny thirteen year olds were in the same class with heavily muscled and bearded 19 year olds.

We frequently played "dodgeball" a game in which six fully-inflated basketball were thrown out on the gym floor while the gym teacher went to his office and closed the door. The last man standing who hadn't been hit, won the games.

13 yr. olds were trapped in corners cowering with their hands over their privates while near men wound up and threw basketballs overhand at them from 15 feet away. No one complained. No irate mothers showed up demanding this stop. No lawyers threatened a suit. Kids just survived it. It was training for the real world, I guess.

When I see what people now consider "bullying" (e.g., lack of "inclusion") it's quite hilarious. This really is the weakest generation ever.
How old do you think I actually am?

I'd rather focus on what's going to happen. But that's just me.

And I strongly believe there's no better than a 30% chance that the next coach does as well as JB. It's a frustrated fan fantasy that the problem is Boeheim and that a new regime will fix things. (It's the "put in the back up QB in" syndrome.) It's predictable, because that's what some fans do.

The rise of SU basketball from irrelevance of being yet another northeastern Mid-Major was based on the emergence of the Big East, ESPN and the Boeheim regime. The Big East, as it once was is gone. Big Monday games are now lost among the dozen games broadcast almost every night.
30% chance next guy is better than tail end JB or lifetime JB?

The fact that “if rape is inevitable, enjoy it” isn’t in everyday parlance anymore is truly a sign that we have become a nation of pajama boys.

Pajamas are comfortable. Especially those Hannah Anderson ones

If you get to March with a .500 record or worse, it won't matter how ready the 6th - 9th players are because you'll be sitting home watching the tourney on TV. I don't know if the fan base realizes there are now 20 ACC games, half of which are on the road.

The idea, the requirement, is to win every game you can. If a tired starter is still better that the 7th or 8th man, that's who you play. Unless its an exhibition game. Games are not for player development. In a two minute period, the shape of a game can swing dramatically.
Ummm, no.
It’s coaching philosophy and nothing more. Some coaches in the Pitino or JTII mode, live on the premise that a long bench, coupled w/ maybe a pressure D, fits their style the best. JB has never subscribed to such a philosophy and has been quite successful w/ the zone D, accompanied by a “7men & a cloud of dust” bench. Sometimes it’s worked, other times not so much.
I’ve more than come to terms that until he retires, we’re not likely to see much deviation from that philosophy.
But your generalization that “games are not for player development”, relies on nothing more than YOUR opinion, not facts.
And based on some of the other grenade-like nuggets you’ve hurled onto this thread, it’s apparent this latest episode of “Townie Unleashed” is breaking new ground. Kudos.

Last edited:
To get back to the original question - I think the deeper bench will happen naturally in some of the games simply because of foul trouble. Buddy and Girard are both slower and try for steals. Sidibe has been known to pile on fouls quickly. Marek still reaches in and get called for ticky tack stuff. Therefore, I'm not worried about QG and Goodine getting shut out when ACC play starts. The inexperience will lead to more fouls too.

I bet we see Howard, Braswell, and Edwards in a handful of ACC games for the same reason.

To get back to the original question - I think the deeper bench will happen naturally in some of the games simply because of foul trouble. Buddy and Girard are both slower and try for steals. Sidibe has been known to pile on fouls quickly. Marek still reaches in and get called for ticky tack stuff. Therefore, I'm not worried about QG and Goodine getting shut out when ACC play starts. The inexperience will lead to more fouls too.

I bet we see Howard, Braswell, and Edwards in a handful of ACC games for the same reason.
Agree...somewhat. But my premise is based on the idea of a long bench due to coaching philosophy, vs having to utilize one out of necessity.

tyus battle was 3rd team all acc. the only player honored post conference. JB's philosophy dates back to the days when we had superstar BE 1st, 2nd team all conference performers. those days are gone. his roster is borderline mid major talent and the thought that any of these dudes needs to play 36 minutes a game no longer applies. our guys currently play more minutes than the top draft picks. old dude is simply too stubborn to adapt to the new REALITY. syracuse can no longer win on a "roll the ball out we got better players" approach.

tyus battle was 3rd team all acc. the only player honored post conference. JB's philosophy dates back to the days when we had superstar BE 1st, 2nd team all conference performers. those days are gone. his roster is borderline mid major talent and the thought that any of these dudes needs to play 36 minutes a game no longer applies. our guys currently play more minutes than the top draft picks. old dude is simply too stubborn to adapt to the new REALITY. syracuse can no longer win on a "roll the ball out we got better players" approach.

Mike Gbinine/ Tyler Ennis/CJ Fair/Rakeem Christmas/Andrew White/Tyler Lydon all made some version of a postseason conference team. Good lord you are not good with facts.

We can agree on that, right?

Buddy, Marek, Girard... all rotational guys. No issues with it. They are not 30-35 minute players.

Hughes is. Nobody else is.

But who else plays?
Quincy and Brycen and a Braswell need more time

Hughes more at the 2 so

1) Buddy or Girad hit the bench more

2) we have a bigger back court front court and are more physical and better rebounding and lose very little shooting if Quincy can start hitting the J or insert Brazwell to give you more size, athleticism,defense,and rebounding

Agree...somewhat. But my premise is based on the idea of a long bench due to coaching philosophy, vs having to utilize one out of necessity.
I think we do agree, just approaching it from a different angle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom