Has Coleman disappointed? | Syracusefan.com

Has Coleman disappointed?

djcon57

Living Legend
I mean...I'm not sure what we all expected a dude out for 2 years to be. But I hope he could have a little more offensive game than he's showing

I mean...I'm not sure what we all expected a dude out for 2 years to be. But I hope he could have a little more offensive game than he's showing

Yes. Seems like a great kid, but at this point, he's not effective at either end of the court.

Tough to tell. We've seen very little of him in college to determine if he's a disappointment. There have been maybe a handful of games where you saw some potential. Personally, I think what we see is what we're getting. I hope I'm wrong.

Not sure anyone knew what to expect but it seems like the preseason reports were pretty positive. After all, he had shed all that weight.

How is this even up for discussion? Dude was a 5* McDonald's All-American ranked 14th in his class.

Here are his stats:
Fr: 5pt, 4rbs. 13 min/game
Soph: 4pts, 4rbs. 13 min/game. Injured for half the year
Jr: DNP
Sr: 5pts, 4rbs, 15 min/game.

If these numbers don't scream disappointment, I don't know what does.

I think he grades an incomplete for now. He looked like he had arrived against TX Southern, but took a major step backwards since then. It is also tough for him considering he is being asked to play the anchor of the zone, and he clearly doesn't belong there. If he can deliver on more of the flashes he has shown, he can still have a good comeback season.

I like what I see in his rebounding, but everything else is a disappointment. I just don't understand how someone so big gets blocked so easily and so often. I was really hoping his 2 years on the bench would help get that out of him.

i'm not at all disappointed becuz frankly i wasn't expecting a lot given his long rehab. i'm glad and proud that he was able to make it back into battle but realistically figured 5 or 10 minutes a game was his window .

I honestly don't understand the quick hook all the time. I don't think there is any doubt playing the 5 on D is impacting Lydon on O. We are awful in regard to interior D with any lineup. I think he didn't play enough against Clemson and I think we have to start throwing it into him no matter the result. I also think he has been unfairly officiated more than any player I have seen this year.

He was probably over hyped coming in his Frosh year and we had unrealistic expectations this year.

need to cut him some slack. He's coming back from knee surgery (Oats procedure) that most players never come back from. He lost weight knowing that it would decrease its chance of reinjury, and he is playing Div 1 ball, after not playing for two years. I think that's quite an accomplishment. Some guys sit out for a much shorter period of time and never regain whatever they had.

I thought DC would be a beast inside...get him the ball and get the heck out of the way. That hasn't happened at all and like many have said, I can't believe how much he has struggled to get off the floor and finish at this level. This has been a problem since his freshman year.

However, I am extremely proud of how he has conducted himself given his knee issues. First class young man for sure!

How is this even up for discussion? Dude was a 5* McDonald's All-American ranked 14th in his class.

Here are his stats:
Fr: 5pt, 4rbs. 13 min/game
Soph: 4pts, 4rbs. 13 min/game. Injured for half the year
Jr: DNP
Sr: 5pts, 4rbs, 15 min/game.

If these numbers don't scream disappointment, I don't know what does.
So, a curious question for the masses. If he played 30 minutes a game and averaged 10 and 8 would that change any perception about him.

I like what I see in his rebounding, but everything else is a disappointment. I just don't understand how someone so big gets blocked so easily and so often. I was really hoping his 2 years on the bench would help get that out of him.

He gets blocked partially because he brings the ball down, but he's also short for a center nowadays and has practically no jumping ability. He's Onuaku with less strength and athleticism.

I don't think he can play 25 minutes. He's committing 6.7 fouls per 40. That number has steadily increased in his abbreviated career. He's not a great defender and has to foul to get the advantage.

Absolutely Coleman has disappointed from when he was a recruit. Has he disappointed since returning from serious knee surgery? I don't think so. I'm honestly surprised he's even playing.

My OP meant disappointed after the knee problems...I don't think it's fair to grade him as a recruit due to the injuries.

He has zero explosion and always brings the ball down.

My OP meant disappointed after the knee problems...I don't think it's fair to grade him as a recruit due to the injuries.
I think what's disappointing is that they didn't/couldn't recruit over him in 2013 and bring someone in the 2014 class. Even before the injury happened. It was obvious he had knee problems and I don't think you can ever have too many C/PF types.

At some point Syracuse is going to have a season with a good-to-great center that doesn't end in abject misery.

Last edited:
In what sense? Compared to his HS clippings and McD AA status, then yes he has disappointed.

But compared to what he looked like as a Frosh and Soph, I wouldn't consider him a disappointment. He's just not very talented. In fact, I'm actually surprised that he's done anything this year after coming off the knee issues.

Took Christmas three full years...Based on the number of games played is Coleman even a sophomore?

I thought DC would be a beast inside...get him the ball and get the heck out of the way. That hasn't happened at all and like many have said, I can't believe how much he has struggled to get off the floor and finish at this level. This has been a problem since his freshman year.

However, I am extremely proud of how he has conducted himself given his knee issues. First class young man for sure!

I like the tone of what you said. The word disappointment can carry with it the sentiment that he didn't work hard enough. From everything that I read and saw, he did everything that he could and he was a great teammate throughout his injury and recovery. That's the reason why I really pull for the guy.

Even before his injury, he seemed to struggle with the fundamentals involved with playing in the post (as many posters noted) and he was never an explosive player. I still think that there is a decent chance that he'll turn into a solid player as he recovers from his injury and spends more time playing basketball. It may not happen this year though.

I like the tone of what you said. The word disappointment can carry with it the sentiment that he didn't work hard enough. From everything that I read and saw, he did everything that he could and he was a great teammate throughout his injury and recovery. That's the reason why I really pull for the guy.

Even before his injury, he seemed to struggle with the fundamentals involved with playing in the post (as many posters noted) and he was never an explosive player. I still think that there is a decent chance that he'll turn into a solid player as he recovers from his injury and spends more time playing basketball. It may not happen this year though.

Another reason to pull for him is that he's got a great attitude, and is team first all the way. It isn't easy being a hometown prospect, especially when you don't live up to expectations. Instead of sulking / pouting when he gets pulled and doesn't play much, he's always been the biggest cheerleader on the bench during games for his teammates. Team first all the way.

Easy kid to root for.

When I hear 5 star recruit, McDonald's AA, my assumption is that these kids are Elite, the cream of the crop in their respective class. In my view, watching Coleman the first year and half, prior to his injury hiatus, he didn't show in any way, shape or form that he was even a top 150 caliber recruit, let alone Elite. Therefore, after such an evasive surgery procedure, and extensive rehabbing, etc., I really didn't have much of an expectation for him to produce/contribute anything significant.

The fact that he is out there today is clearly a credit to the young man's perseverance, character and work ethic, but his talent and skill set, unfortunately, is far less tangible, something that I expect to remain in relatively plateau status for the duration of his eligibility up on the Hill.

i'm not at all disappointed becuz frankly i wasn't expecting a lot given his long rehab. i'm glad and proud that he was able to make it back into battle but realistically figured 5 or 10 minutes a game was his window .

This. My expectations were pretty low for this year, so for this season, not disappointing.

Overall, of course. I've yet to see anything out of the kid that makes me think even minus the injury he would have been much of an impact player. He plays soooo small for a man with that size.

It is also tough for him considering he is being asked to play the anchor of the zone, and he clearly doesn't belong there.
If he doesnt belong there, then where do you propose to play him?

Bottom line, this was a huge miss by the staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom