have we ever been more wrong about a team??? | Syracusefan.com

have we ever been more wrong about a team???

I realized we were in trouble when we scored 100 points on South Carolina State... we managed to score 100 but it was like watching 5 strangers who have never played organized basketball, met for the first time in their lives and just got selected for the team by shooting free throws. There was no cohesion or chemistry and everything was one on one crap. It was fairly obvious that the stuff Gillon was trying then against "inferior" opposition was never going to work and Howard had trouble executing anything remotely resembling a half-court offense in that game.

Like I posted in another thread, I don't think the team that has shown up to the last four games beats Monmouth. They look completely different than the first three games of the season. Monmouth isn't a typical cupcake. But wow has SU looked sloppy and tentative since that Wiscy game.

Jim Boeheim probably thinks the same.

I dunno man, I think one reason he's been so relatively calm and reserved on the sidelines is he knew all along it was coming to this, that's this will be a season long project just to salvage some self-respect.

I dunno man, I think one reason he's been so relatively calm and reserved on the sidelines is he knew all along it was coming to this, that's this will be a season long project just to salvage some self-respect.

He certainly did not have those thoughts in September when he told everyone to "buy their tickets".

I realized we were in trouble when we scored 100 points on South Carolina State... we managed to score 100 but it was like watching 5 strangers who have never played organized basketball, met for the first time in their lives and just got selected for the team by shooting free throws. There was no cohesion or chemistry and everything was one on one crap. It was fairly obvious that the stuff Gillon was trying then against "inferior" opposition was never going to work and Howard had trouble executing anything remotely resembling a half-court offense in that game.

When I posted after the Wisconsin game, I was told I was talking out of my a** when I said that there were quite a few things that I saw in our wins that gave me concern. It's pretty much all come to fruition here.

No more stroking egos, play everyone who gives all out effort, and in their most efficient positions...

One other thought that comes to mind is that on a team that has almost no one who can create their own shots, JB was betting heavily on:
- Lydon stepping up as a creator for himself: hasn't happened and in fact it looks like Lydon has regressed
- Howard/Gillon being able to run the team which based on last year's ff run and Gillon's career should have been a no brainer. Again hasn't happened because Howard for lack of a better word has stage fright when he's facing like for like talent and Gillon can't seem to compete against better athletes
- Battle being able to slash to the bucket when all else fails: This again should have been a no brainer given Battle's pedigree but it hasn't translated to the college level

So if you're counting three things had to happen for this team to be good and none of them have panned out. In addition the Chukwu experiment has been a total disaster of epic proportions. Not sure if any of this is fixable either. I think JB should just go all in on the press and run 40 minutes of hell... yes we're not good at it but it gets us out of half court sets where we are a total disaster on both offense and defense.

We will be in the final four of the NCAA tournament.

He certainly did not have those thoughts in September when he told everyone to "buy their tickets".
I agree - I was at an event in the off season where my table was perplexed as he said he expected us to be very good. His usual MO is we stink.

I agree - I was at an event in the off season where my table was perplexed as he said he expected us to be very good. His usual MO is we stink.

I'm sure that's the way he felt in September. Since then he's had a closer look at what he's actually got. I've coached and reffed for the best part of 40 years, and I've seen all kinds of coaches. The look on his face, and his body language, says one of two things: either there's nothing he can do and he knows it, or he has to be patient and let them play their way together into a team.

I'm sure that's the way he felt in September. Since then he's had a closer look at what he's actually got. I've coached and reffed for the best part of 40 years, and I've seen all kinds of coaches. The look on his face, and his body language, says one of two things: either there's nothing he can do and he knows it, or he has to be patient and let them play their way together into a team.
Lets face it, his legacy all comes down to getting another title in March/April before he retires. He doesnt have to have title #2, but thats all that would move the needle at this point. And if thats all that will move the needle...how truly important are some nov and dec games....?

Edit: and i would guess he saw in spades last year how what happened in march basically trumped everything that happened the rest of the year...

Lets face it, his legacy all comes down to getting another title in March/April before he retires. He doesnt have to have title #2, but thats all that would move the needle at this point. And if thats all that will move the needle...how truly important are some nov and dec games...?

Edit: and i would guess he saw in spades last year how what happened in march basically trumped everything that happened the rest of the year...

Well, you have to get to the tournament...so I'd say rather important. The only reason we got in the tourney last year were because of those early (out of conference) wins against quality opponents back in Nov. at the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom