Heads up for YouTube TV Subscribers! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Heads up for YouTube TV Subscribers!

In my part of CT, the bundles still are worth it with cable because of a lack of internet alternatives. A competing fiber internet company is installing lines but going to be a bit before they’re in my neighborhood.

Not surprised this is how it all shook out - people were going to pay for the content one way or another. They weren’t going to let consumers win.

I also was a loyal directv customer for 17-18 years. However, about 3 years ago I finally cut the cord because even with a stripped down package, I couldn't get my bill under $130 or so. What really added up were all the various HD boxes that I had throughout the home - yes, I have a lot of tvs. Directv just nickel and dimed.

I literally tried every streaming service available and finally landed on Sony, which I really liked. When they discontinued their service, I switched to YouTube TV. Other than them making a large price increase a year or so ago (and the continued problems they're having with others - i.e. Disney, Roku, etc.), I've really enjoyed it.

I'm now spending $65 a month (versus $130) for the same amount of content. Their unlimited DVR feature is excellent - can't say enough about this. What I absolutely love is that once you choose to record something, let's say college basketball, it will automatically record EVERY college basketball game that airs. I never have to remember "setting my dvr". Therefore, I always know that I have Syracuse sports, NFL, college basketball, college football, PGA golf, and House Hunters for my wife. This feature ensures that probably 99% of the time I have what I want when I want. The other thing I love is that I can take my service anywhere I go. Over thanksgiving, I brought my laptop to visit my folks in Georgia, and had all of my content with me. In fact, I was even able to add YouTube TV temporarily on my dad's smart tv and watched my content on his big screen.

That all said, if YouTube TV loses Disney, I'm out. There is just too much Disney content that I watch.

assuming Disney & YTTV come to an agreement, the best option is to get your stand alone internet, and get YTTV and split the $65 with a friend

Whether you pay $65/month for YTTV or $70/month for Hulu Live ($5/mo. increase come January) there's still your ISP price in addition to your streaming service. Therefore, when comparing cable, satellite/DTV, etc. vs. streaming, one shouldn't conveniently leave that out. Otherwise, it isn't a true/accurate comparison relative to costs.

Last edited:
For those looking for a radio streaming alternative that always has the Orange games with the full pregame show. It isn't video but heck I would've paid big bucks to have this available back in the 80's.

Try The Varsity Network. I have the app on my Android phone. I use it occasionally. It is at the Google Play Store and whatever Apple calls their app store.

Yes
Interesting...that might be a good option. Another way to help. If you join 24 7 and support Stephen Bailey's website (they have a 50% off VIP today and tomorrow, $53 for the year) you get free access to Paramount+
That gives you CBS among other things. I've been watching the original Hawaii 5-0 episodes lately. They are all commercial free so you can watch an hour show in 40-50 mins.

Last edited:
Whether you pay $65/month for YTTV or $70/month for Hulu Live ($5/mo. increase come January) there's still your ISP price in addition to your streaming service. Therefore, when comparing cable, satellite/DTV, etc. vs. streaming, one shouldn't conveniently leave that out. Otherwise, it isn't a true/accurate comparison relative to costs.
True but 99% of directv users don’t have satellite internet .. and the isp / cable bundles usually force a land like phone plan down your throat that you want nothing to do with

They are but I’d argue that streaming is better than corded .. no wire .. no equipment .. take your TV every where with you

I had directv for over 20 years and dumped it for YouTube tv this year .. I’m very pleased with the switch irrespective of the 200 dollar a month savings …. My ONLY beef is no local regional sports ..

True but 99% of directv users don’t have satellite internet .. and the isp / cable bundles usually force a land like phone plan down your throat that you want nothing to do with

Well, 99.9% of satellite users would only choose HughesNet (satellite internet) due to it being their only option. :)

I have DTV, primarily because of the Sunday Ticket so I can watch the Browns every Sunday. I have my internet with Spectrum, no doubt I'd get a better deal if I packaged the internet with TV, however, in my experience, I haven't been forced with any land line phone pressure, etc.

Like you, prior to your recent switch, I have also had DTV for 20 plus years. In all of my years with them, I've always been able to annually negotiate a monthly savings anywhere from $40-$65/month. Albeit, ever since the AT&T purchase of DTV a few years back, it's more of an effort of back and forth, etc. This year I'm getting $50/month off of my bill, through July of '22. At that time, it'll be time to renegotiate again. I'm currently paying $136/month for the XTRA package, which includes the ESPN's, FS1 & 2, B1G Network, ACCN, RSN, Golf Channel, etc., pretty much everything sports related not subject to blackouts, pro sports specialty packages, etc.

After the '22 NFL season, the NFL Sunday Ticket contract ends with AT&T/DTV. From what I hear, AT&T will not be bidding for the next ST deal, I'm hearing Disney, Amazon & Apple are all likely to bid. At that time, I'll need to reevaluate where I go from there.

Last edited:
They are but I’d argue that streaming is better than corded .. no wire .. no equipment .. take your TV every where with you

I had directv for over 20 years and dumped it for YouTube tv this year .. I’m very pleased with the switch irrespective of the 200 dollar a month savings …. My ONLY beef is no local regional sports ..

Do you mean the RSN/Bally games?

Here is a great article comparing streaming services for 2022 with a handy easy to read comparison chart. I hope Youtubetv and disney get it figured out because that seems to be the best value to me.

I have tried all of them. Trust me, YBTV is definitely the best, at least for my needs - great DVR situation, every channel that I would want, the entire espn suite, hallmark for my wife, etc. I'm not sure about value, as they all have continued to jack their prices up since I cut the cord. However, Google is greedy, which is why I'd love for another service to come in and do better. I'd jump ship like the portal.

I have DTV, primarily because of the Sunday Ticket so I can watch the Browns every Sunday.

This ain't 1990 dude. You can get sunday ticket with many other providers now as well. But I understand, that once was the case as I remember that over the 17+ years I had directv.

Last edited:
This ain't 1990 dude. You can get sunday ticket with many other providers now as well. But I understand, that once was the case as I remember that over the 17+ years I had directv.

Honestly I just realized this myself but being a Giants fan makes this unnecessary.

I’m always amazed how much work and aggravation people will deal with in order to save a couple of bucks with their tv packages……..I’m guessing these are the same people who never pick up a tab, are the last to buy a round and are bad tippers.

To be able to get the NFL Sunday Ticket 'with many other providers now as well' you need to meet the criteria to be "eligible." If you live in an apartment complex (or dorm if you are a student, etc.) without access to the DirecTV/satellite version, then yes, you can stream online to your computer, smartphone, etc. That's it!

The "To Go" streaming package prior to the commencement of the season was $294, and the other streaming package, NFLST "Max" was $396. Students (or if one has a student in your family) gets a significant discount at $120 for the entire season 'online.' However, only one device can be streaming online at the same time.

Residing in a single family residential dwelling, I have access to the satellite DTV/NFLST version, and, therefore, would not be eligible to stream online through any of those available devices/services; Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Chromecast, PS4/PS5, Xbox One, Samsung Smart TV, iOS, Android, or PC.

DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket renewal in 2014 cost the company 1.5 billion annually. It's a huge loser for AT&T (who acquired DTV in 2015) and is why they no longer have any interest and will not bid after the completion of the 2022 NFL season.

I’m always amazed how much work and aggravation people will deal with in order to save a couple of bucks with their tv packages……..I’m guessing these are the same people who never pick up a tab, are the last to buy a round and are bad tippers.
Not sure about aggravation. I absolutely love my tv situation now, better than ever. I have a way to get any damn game I want, when I want it. It's amazing. That said, I'll give you a tip...

But most everyone would have that cost anyway. Yes, it would be part of your bundle, but you'd still be paying for internet. Even with the separate charges, I'm still paying less now than I did before.

YTTV is excellent. It will suck having to change if ESPN is gone.
Yes, YTTV is excellent, it really is, which is why they need a better competitor than what they have now to continue to keep them in check. I wish Sony was still in the streaming business, they were a legit competitor at the time.

But most everyone would have that cost anyway. Yes, it would be part of your bundle, but you'd still be paying for internet. Even with the separate charges, I'm still paying less now than I did before.

I'm sure you are, paying somewhat less, but that's not the foremost point. That is, that folks whom claim they are saving huge amounts, or along the lines of the "$200/month savings" are being rather disingenuous. Especially, if comparing true apples to apples level of programming.

I'm sure you are, paying somewhat less, but that's not the foremost point. That is, that folks whom claim they are saving huge amounts, or along the lines of the "$200/month savings" are being rather disingenuous. Especially, if comparing true apples to apples level of programming.
I agree that they're not saving the tons of money that they think they are. I left Comcast. The only channels my family and I miss that we no longer have on YouTube TV are meTV and A&E. It would also be nice to have MASN, the ACC's RSN for MD, DC, DE, and NoVA, but I can live without it. We pretty much never watched the rest that we no longer have.

Last edited: