Hearing gross on his | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hearing gross on his

orangepassion said:
Maybe this is why there was no Gross sighting at the uniform revelation recently
I read he was at some meetings out of town. For the ACC maybe?

it's hard for me to understand all the dynamics involved with a person that earns this type of position. having said that, it would seem that dr. gross has modernized the athletic department. having said that, maybe he did it at an expense that was no sustainable.

That's too bad, if this is true. Obviously fans have had a few issues with some of the decisions that have been made on his watch, but honestly, look at the overall performances for the non-hoops/football/lax teams since Gross has been here. Significant upgrade pretty much across the board. Softball, soccer, field hockey, rowing, etc, all much better now than they ever were even a decade ago when I was a student.

I was never a fan and I think he gets too much credit for a lot of obvious things that any replacement AD would have done . . . that being said, he got SU into the ACC, and that is the only thing that really matters. Getting one of those prime P5 slots was the critical task of this last decade, and he did it. Fail at that, and we are staring at UConn's or Cincy's future. Pass that - and he did - and you get an A+

I don't understand this and there has to be more than a simple disconnect between the chancellor and Gross. I was always worried about Gross leaving for somewhere else, never him being let go. Not happy at all with this unless again, there is more to it.

I don't understand this and there has to be more than a simple disconnect between the chancellor and Gross. I was always worried about Gross leaving for somewhere else, never him being let go. Not happy at all with this unless again, there is more to it.

If nothing else, new chancellor equals new point of view.

Cantor had Gross' back unquestionably.

The new guy clearly seems to have a different point of view than Cantor. And when that happens...we get posts like this.

Not a surprise. And I have very pro-Gross, but I think we will be A-OK. TGD has been a great AD for us in so many ways, and has his negatives...but who the hell on Earth doesn't?

MadNY3...what direction would the Chancellor want to go that Gross wasn't already going? Or point of view. I think Gross has taken the woman sports to new heights and I like the direction SU has been going. SU was ok and breaking down gradually during Jakes run, I want more and felt that Gross did that.

What is the Chancellors vision for the sports program? I don't know if you know but this just feels wrong to me.

Gross leaving is good thing. He wasted a lot of money on nonrevenue sports It was just ridiculous. Yes he was much better than Jake but that's not saying much. He was very disorganized and poor at fund raising. The new chancellor wants competence and accountability. I think he's much better than Nancy was.

MadNY3...what direction would the Chancellor want to go that Gross wasn't already going? Or point of view. I think Gross has taken the woman sports to new heights and I like the direction SU has been going. SU was ok and breaking down gradually during Jakes run, I want more and felt that Gross did that.

What is the Chancellors vision for the sports program? I don't know if you know but this just feels wrong to me
Exactly the problem! Gross wasted way to much money on non-revenue sports.

I dint get that impression. I think he will be great for the AD and the school. More accountability, cut waste, spend money smartly.

The Chancellor was at JBs cancer ball tonight. Never saw Cantor at one.

So he's a smart politician, that doesn't make him a good administrator.

Seems like too quick for him to have made a fair assessment of someone or a department that probably shouldn't be one of his first points of focus upon coming on board. Maybe the mismatched uniforms worn against BC bothered him even more than they did us.

What else does Gross need to accomplish here at SU that could add any value to his resume? What else can Gross do to substantially increase his comp here at SU? He can only do that by moving on to bigger & better things.

By the way, it is my understanding the he and the new chancellor get along quite well. I think, if true, it is the good Dr wanting to leave not the other way around.

Gross made two great hires for football and we are headed back to where we all want to be.

I don't think that because he "overspent" in the non revenue sports he should be punished for all of his accomplishments and especially getting SU to spend money to make money.

The ACC admittance alone should buy Daryl 5 more years.

What message is the new chancellor sending the paying Syracuse fans?

I remember the John Corbally era where sports were being downgraded and talk of dropping a level was even allowed to be discussed.

Leave Daryl alone and let SU sports continue to rise in stature and facilities.

Restructure the fund raising area and get some pros in here that know how to get that job done.

Be careful of upsetting this apple cart at this point in time.

Gross made two great hires for football and we are headed back to where we all want to be.

I don't think that because he "overspent" in the non revenue sports he should be punished for all of his accomplishments and especially getting SU to spend money to make money.

I remember the John Corbally era where sports were being downgraded and talk of dropping a level was even allowed to be discussed.

Restructure the fund raising area and get some pros in here that know how to get that job done.

Extremely well said and summarized OE.

Bad omen for athletics. Gross wants to be big time. Not sure the new admin does. He may be happy to be Wake Forest.
Interesting when you make this comparison. When I was at the Wake Forest game I sat next to a long time Wake Forest fan/graduate. In his mind Syracuse was a larger Wake Forest. I think some good and some not so good in the comparison.

From a University perspective, Gross wasn't great. He overspent on non-revenue sport coaches, has a very top-heavy organizational structure that I'm sure is bleeding even more money, and as has been stated before hasn't exactly been knocking it out of the park from the fundraising perspective.

Being fiscally responsible and being stingy (Jake) are two different things. I like what the new Chancellor has had to say thus far and think it's only natural that he wants a fiscally responsible head of a department that spends millions of dollars (is it really necessary for two Deputy AD/Chief of Staff positions? a lot of fat could be trimmed).

All those empty seats during football for the last decade plus amounts to 10's of millions in lost revenue. I think that was the main thing he was hired to address.

Gross leaving is good thing. He wasted a lot of money on nonrevenue sports It was just ridiculous. Yes he was much better than Jake but that's not saying much. He was very disorganized and poor at fund raising. The new chancellor wants competence and accountability. I think he's much better than Nancy was.

Of course, this assumes this is even his idea. It might be part of the list of things the BOT has given him to address. Just as I'm sure Cantor received her similar list of things when she entered the position after we had been jilted by the ACC. So this could be a case where one incoming Chancellor had the BOT's backing to do whatever is necessary to right the ship enough in athletics to ensure an ACC invite while the next one has been a given a different agenda.

It's too early to tell on the latter at this point in time.

Cheers,
Neil

SU was getting in to a major conference with or without Daryl Gross So I don't see this as the big accomplishment as some do.

From a University perspective, Gross wasn't great. He overspent on non-revenue sport coaches, has a very top-heavy organizational structure that I'm sure is bleeding even more money, and as has been stated before hasn't exactly been knocking it out of the park from the fundraising perspective.

Being fiscally responsible and being stingy (Jake) are two different things. I like what the new Chancellor has had to say thus far and think it's only natural that he wants a fiscally responsible head of a department that spends millions of dollars (is it really necessary for two Deputy AD/Chief of Staff positions? a lot of fat could be trimmed).

This is said quite often, but I haven't seen much evidence of this. There are two known cases in this regard out in the public arena - the infamous Luke Jensen hire and Gary Gait. One is at last gone and the other is a Syracuse legend.

I've seen posts on this board that want to say Ange Bradley is another. But it's from the usual lot who don't care a twit about the non-revenue sports. But using common sense it would be difficult to imagine that we "overspent" on Bradley considering she came from Richmond (so while I am sure it was a pay increase from there, I would hardly think it was extraordinarily that much more than any BCS league might pay for such a coach) and it would be even harder to imagine she is getting paid anywhere close to some of the coaches she was to directly compete against or would likely compete against in the ACC when one actually looks at said coaches and their career accomplishments - like UConn's Nancy Stevens, Maryland's Missy Meharg, UNC's Karen Shelton, UVa's Michele Madison, etc.

Cheers,
Neil

As far as AD's go, I think he's done a great job. There have been a lot worse ADs. It's not exactly an easy job. Lots of politics and many circles of money interests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom