Hearing gross on his | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hearing gross on his

From my perspective, this could be a common pendulum swing in corporate management. Gross has been a good visionary and has accomplished the original goals (ACC, Football righted). But the execution aspect of his dept is less than stellar (top heavy, poor communications, website, tickets, fundraising). Pretty common to replace an idea guy with an execution expert, just to make sure you don't get too far off. Very unusual to find both in the same person. My guess is the next Ad will have fundraising and communications and efficiency as a focus. Won't be dabbling significantly in the big ideas, meaning any new stadium will be on the back burner.

Florange44

SU was getting in to a major conference with or without Daryl Gross So I don't see this as the big accomplishment as some do.
Sort of like UConn was? They may have won the NCAA basketball tournament, but their football program is out in the cold. Gross made sure we were taken care of early on, and that we got to do what we wanted to do and not be one of the leftover teams, or even the after thought teams like Rutgers and Maryland. We were a "wanted" team. Makes a difference in the recruiting game also. Oh yea that was one of the first teams picked up by the ACC.

SU was getting in to a major conference with or without Daryl Gross So I don't see this as the big accomplishment as some do.

He ensured it. Yes, he overspent but the BE was a dying model after the 2003 raid. It wasn't a sure thing SU got in a P5 (yes, we were better than 50/50 chance IMHO but things could have happened differently). He overspent on non-revenue sports to bring us up to P5 level in non-revenues. NY's College Team motto was a stroke of genius and he "lead turned" all the other local schools (UConn, Rutgirls, St Johns, SUNY Buffalo) into our best conference outcome. FB attendance is more local economics and CNY culture issue based.

I like Syverud but getting rid of Dr. Gross would be a mistake if this true. I get Syverud doesn't consider Gross his guy and wants a complete overhaul I just feel Gross has done a good job. He has stressed the Olympic sports because of incentives in his contract and I get that, but those sports have improved. Basketball has the Melo Center and is on the up swing, he corrected his GRob mistake and we are getting better. The IPF is going to happen, and Men's Lax have the only 2 NC under Gross's time as AD, but I like and respect the man. I hope this doesn't happen, but with new leadership it shouldn't be shocking.

I wished Syverud worked on improving on our academic standing that Nancy Cantor ruined in the name of admitting more students for the money to satisfy her spending and balance the books.

Daryl Gross has a commitment to athletic excellence, particularly in football, and that's exactly what we fans want in an AD. I don't like that games were moved to MetLife or the hiring of Robinson but he's gotten SU football into a great position now. I can only hope that SU continues to pursue athletic excellence without him and doesn't become complacent.

Many at UConn said the same thing. It doesn't happen by itself. Whatever Gross did he was successful in getting SU in.

Many at UConn said the same thing. It doesn't happen by itself. Whatever Gross did he was successful in getting SU in.

Exactly. UConn thought they were in twice - once over Pitt and then again over UL.

Cheers,
Neil

TGD did a fabulous job, with the exception of GRob and Jensen. Even with those missteps, I wouldn't trade his tenure for anything.He brought a different mindset to SU Athletics. One that was surely needed.

but also overspent on coach Q, gait, and the womens field hockey coach.

great that they are all winning - but can't be in the red and overspend to win just to be more in the red.

CusefanATL said:
but also overspent on coach Q, gait, and the womens field hockey coach. great that they are all winning - but can't be in the red and overspend to win just to be more in the red.

If all this is true, I foresee us dropping some sports in a few years.

We can forget about adding hockey or baseball.

If all this is true, I foresee us dropping some sports in a few years.

We can forget about adding hockey or baseball.
I'm still 100% on the adding hockey bandwagon, it would be perfect and I'm shocked we don't have a team already.

I'm still 100% on the adding hockey bandwagon, it would be perfect and I'm shocked we don't have a team already.

I've personally written about this to the AD many times! Yes yes yes! And as for eliminating sports, if that happens it would be tragic. We already have one of the smallest P5 sports supported lists out there.

Just wait till the new AD tells Hop he's 3rd on the interview list.

Gotta think he'd want to hire 1 of the 2 main sports coaches...

Oh, and they're not dropping sports and they certainly aren't adding the great sport of hockey.

but also overspent on coach Q, gait, and the womens field hockey coach.

great that they are all winning - but can't be in the red and overspend to win just to be more in the red.

And where have you seen this?

Q was the assistant coach for one year and then elevated to head coach, his first such position. And while he has the program heading in the right direction, he isn't a coach that is in high demand that I am aware of, nor was he likely to be prior to TGD making him head coach. Common sense says it is extremely unlikely Q is overpaid in terms of other BCS level programs or BE coaches.

I detailed the Ange Bradley situation above.

It seems to me that spending ANY $$$ on these sports coaches (and a case could be made should have been spent on them long ago) is somehow now being considered as overspending.

Cheers,
Neil

I've personally written about this to the AD many times! Yes yes yes! And as for eliminating sports, if that happens it would be tragic. We already have one of the smallest P5 sports supported lists out there.
What do you usually get for a response?! I think they could add to the Tennity Ice Pavilion on South Campus and make it possible.

we have to be careful what we wish for if it is the new Chancellor forcing TGD out. Our fundraising seems to be a disaster under whatever model we are using now. That definitely needs to be addressed with a professional hand. Other then that I would have liked to see less spending on the non-rev sports, and more on the sports that pay the bills, but i still think he did an outstanding job. I would have to credit him on getting the IPF passed despite it most likely not being privately funded, so great job there.

i just don't know if we can get somewhere better? let's hope we make a good hire, and it's not a Julie Hermann

Is the loss of Gross comparable to cuse losing an NCAA tourney game? Was the Dr himself at the gala last night?

According to the data on this website: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

SU's Head Coaches for women's sports earn an average of $188,809. The ACC average is $146, 614. Not sure if you can attribute this to Gait and Jensen, or not, but this does support the argument that Gross has paid more for these coaches.

He has also spent more to give the non-revenue sports a 2nd full-time assistant instead of a GA, as well as increasing their operating budgets. However, this has certainly helped many teams improve their standing.

Of course, this assumes this is even his idea. It might be part of the list of things the BOT has given him to address. Just as I'm sure Cantor received her similar list of things when she entered the position after we had been jilted by the ACC. So this could be a case where one incoming Chancellor had the BOT's backing to do whatever is necessary to right the ship enough in athletics to ensure an ACC invite while the next one has been a given a different agenda.

It's too early to tell on the latter at this point in time.

Cheers,
Neil

I think this line of thought is overl optimistic in that it assumes the BOT is organized and thoughtful enough to drive the sort of consensus required to come up with a to-do list for their hires.

What do you usually get for a response?! I think they could add to the Tennity Ice Pavilion on South Campus and make it possible.

Joe Giansante is the only one to ever write me back and he simply said they were shoring up current sports, since the ACC move and would then look at additions. Nothing specific.

gilardino said:
Is the loss of Gross comparable to cuse losing an NCAA tourney game? Was the Dr himself at the gala last night?

Yes he was.

Other then that I would have liked to see less spending on the non-rev sports, and more on the sports that pay the bills, but i still think he did an outstanding job.

Disagree with this. I take it as a source of pride that we have improved our overall athletic program over the last 10 years. Every University playing big time college sports has the same issue of subsidation of the non-Olympic sports by football and bball. The issue isn't unique to us. I'm proud that we aren't a one-trick pony and are national players in multiple sports. Daryl Gross has done an excellent job in this area. If it means we're spending some money to do so, good on us. And last time I checked, last year we were 10 million in the black as an athletic department. Lets not pretend we're a Rutgers and we have a 30 million annual hole needed to be filled.

I hope the TGD rumors are just that, rumors. Overall, he'd been a major plus for this athletic department.

For me, the only acceptable reason for DG to leave SU is to take over for Pat Haden at USC... Hope the rumors are false...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom