Here is what to look for... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what to look for...

Red told me not to tell anybody but I, in fact, am the mystery player. Two years of eligibility left and scored a career high of 10 points against Paul Smith's in 2016.
And I scored 12 against his older brother Stevie down at Berry Park in 94.
New York Yankees Thumbs Down GIF by MLB

There is very little reason to take a long-term project anymore. Either they can play for you within a year, or they will be gone to a smaller school through the portal.

Seems to me Red used the portal this year to get a bunch of experienced guys who will be gone next year, leaving room for what looks like about a 4 man HS recruiting class.
theres 2 centers on the team as of right now

just imagine if one has a season ending injury or cant suit up for a given game

the likelihood of that happening next year is not 0% ...personally i think it is higher than 10%

and the only center on the roster gets in foul trouble

(can naheem actually play 4o/45 minutes of basketball? can eddie?)

and then also ask yourself what if the other team has actual post players?

maliq brown was toyed with by the likes of VT NC st duke and clemson last year...you know the guy everyone loved for his defense...

i mean, i cant even understand why people dont see the urgency of securing a 3rd center even if hes a project who will "never play"

imagine a frontline of freeman davis and bell trying to control the glass against duke and unc w/ bacot

i'd rather have 4 centers than 2

beyond that theres only 1 forward with size on the roster...theres only 1 forward on the team right now with traditional power forward size (davis might play "PF" but he's only 6'7")...then westry and bell...yikes

even if freeman can somehow defend a 7 footer...who else is going to rebound...if the 1st 2 centers are out????

maybe the coaches think its fine freeman is the emergency center...but the rest of the forwards are short...idk...i dont think thats the solution they think it is (if they do)

as is i think freeman will definitely play some center next year...and if he does that will not be good thing.

i get it that its only august and there's still time but these guys are already building chemistry together...practicing all summer...and youre going to throw in some rando at the end of the summer right before classes start (best case scenario)...i truly dont get how almost everyone seems so blase about this gaping hole in the roster

Last edited:

the likelihood of that happening next year is not 0% ...personally i think it is higher than 10%

maliq brown was toyed with by the likes of VT NC st duke and clemson last year...you know the guy everyone loved for his defense...

i mean, i cant even understand why people dont see the urgency of securing a 3rd center even if hes a project who will "never play"

imagine a frontline of freeman davis and bell trying to control the glass against duke and unc w/ bacot

beyond that theres only 1 forward with size on the roster...theres only 1 forward on the team right now with traditional power forward size (davis might play "PF" but he's only 6'7")...then westry and bell...yikes

even if freeman can somehow defend a 7 footer...who else is going to rebound...if the 1st 2 centers are out????

maybe the coaches think its fine freeman is the emergency center...but the rest of the forwards are short...idk...i dont think thats the solution they think it is (if they do)

as is i think freeman will definitely play some center next year...and if he does that will not be good thing.

i get it that its only august and there's still time but these guys are already building chemistry together...practicing all summer...and youre going to throw in some rando at the end of the summer right before classes start (best case scenario)...i truly dont get how almost everyone seems so blase about this gaping hole in the roster
I kinda agree with you, but the reality is that we had a third center last season and we didn’t play him. He redshirted and then transferred. That’s not encouraging for the next guy who would be occupying the same position on the bench.

I hope never to see Freeman at the 5, and it would not benefit his pro prospects to spend any significant time there.

Is this subject from original post still in play or fade away?

Can't be promising at this point.

Initial "report" from the credible source was that something would come to light about a month ago. It is unclear why it hasn't, but the more time that goes by, the less likely the addition probably is.

I kinda agree with you, but the reality is that we had a third center last season and we didn’t play him. He redshirted and then transferred. That’s not encouraging for the next guy who would be occupying the same position on the bench.

I hope never to see Freeman at the 5, and it would not benefit his pro prospects to spend any significant time there.
you cant teach height

its a good thing if the third center never plays...there are some seasons where they dont, some seasons where they do

theres a chance that this player wont play...but theres a chance he will...a lot.

wembenyama aint walking through that door

but just the security of having a hima or anslelem etc would be much better than not

just SOMEONE who is TALL and can rebound and play d, in case

i dont see it as an issue of enticement...this is a role that will appeal to some players given their options

are there no tall players left on the market??? are they all taken?

Well, last year we had 4 centers, and after McLeod went down Red went with a 6-8 guy. That shows me that sheer size isn’t as important to him as actual, you know, ability. Adding another 6-10 guy (who would be a whole inch bigger than Freeman) who isn’t ready or able to play at an ACC level may look good in layup lines but won’t be any actual assistance.

I think people are forgetting we had planned to preserve Patterson's redshirt.

Well, last year we had 4 centers, and after McLeod went down Red went with a 6-8 guy. That shows me that sheer size isn’t as important to him as actual, you know, ability. Adding another 6-10 guy (who would be a whole inch bigger than Freeman) who isn’t ready or able to play at an ACC level may look good in layup lines but won’t be any actual assistance.
and howd that work out for him?

team got blown out 9 times last year...and missed the tournament...again

pretty sure red telling almost the whole team from last year to kick rocks isnt the ringing endorsement of last years approach you think it is...

its crazy how expectations from the fanbase have been reset to losing standards

"they did it last year so its cool now"

really???

(and besides, my point wasnt to figure whats important to red...he obviously undervalues height if he's going to try and go with the current roster for a full season...my point is to point out that this current roster's undervaluation of height could be a major problem next year...but its all good lets just play donnie at the 5, youre probably right)

pretty sure red telling almost the whole team from last year to kick rocks isnt the ringing endorsement of last years approach you think it is...

really???

(and besides, my point wasnt to figure whats important to red...he obviously undervalues height if he's going to try and go with the current roster for a full season...my point is to point out that this current roster's undervaluation of height could be a major problem next year...but its all good lets just play donnie at the 5, youre probably right)
Your take cannot be more off base. Red can’t go to the grocery store and grab a couple of 7’ centers. Players are the choosers, not coaches. What has Red done to show potential big guy recruits they should want to play at SU? For the matter, what has SU done in the last 39 years to entice big guys to want to play for SU?

really???

Well, there’s no doubt in my mind that Donny would be better at the 5 than Hima or Carey, even though they’re a whopping 1 or 2 inches taller.

really???

I don't think anybody thinks Red is happy with the roster. He's still recruiting for this fall. If he can't get anybody, that's a problem.

But let's not go out of proportion... We have two really big guys who have the ability to play center, and a few guys who are big and can fill in at center in an emergency. Would it be ideal if we don't get another big? Absolutely not.

I don't think Red intends it this way. The international big that insiders were talking about might still materialize, or some big man who had his heart set on a starting role and big time NIL will settle for being a backup for a year now that roster spots and money are drying up.

There is still time and two scholarships. But, it takes two to tango, Red can’t just draft somebody he likes.

Last edited:
Can't be promising at this point.

Initial "report" from the credible source was that something would come to light about a month ago. It is unclear why it hasn't, but the more time that goes by, the less likely the addition probably is.
Shades of the JB era.

“This one is in the bag”…

Two months later, we’re left holding the bag instead.

Shades of the JB era.

“This one is in the bag”…

Two months later, we’re left holding the bag instead.
I mentioned a while back that letting "the international big" leak might become an unforced error by the staff.

The fans can't moan and groan about something they never knew happened. Letting rumors of an exciting recruit fly around and then... literally nothing about it ever heard again gives the grumpy fans fodder.

They were going to complain anyway, but why feed the beast if you don't have to?

I mentioned a while back that letting "the international big" leak might become an unforced error by the staff.

The fans can't moan and groan about something they never knew happened. Letting rumors of an exciting recruit fly around and then... literally nothing about it ever heard again gives the grumpy fans fodder.

They were going to complain anyway, but why feed the beast if you don't have to?
Yeah. It speaks to the 'loose lips sink ships' line.

It happened so often during the tail end of the JB era - and this is along those lines.

If we keep landing the Sadiq White's and Donnie Freeman's of the world, won't matter as much. But something to monitor.

Also, unrelated but I think Alex Kline is going to help us with the transfer portal and create a much better dynamic in that space than we have had in the past. We did OK this year -- but I think we can do even better.

Yeah. It speaks to the 'loose lips sink ships' line.

It happened so often during the tail end of the JB era - and this is along those lines.

If we keep landing the Sadiq White's and Donnie Freeman's of the world, won't matter as much. But something to monitor.

Also, unrelated but I think Alex Kline is going to help us with the transfer portal and create a much better dynamic in that space than we have had in the past. We did OK this year -- but I think we can do even better.
What loose lips? Did you know the kids name? Do you know what happened here? Why jump to that conclusion? And no one said it was in the bag. What they said was that they expected something in a week or so. I was the one that heard that and I sure didn't think that meant it was in the bag.

What loose lips? Did you know the kids name? Do you know what happened here? Why jump to that conclusion? And no one said it was in the bag. What they said was that they expected something in a week or so. I was the one that heard that and I sure didn't think that meant it was in the bag.
So...what IS in the bag?

So...what IS in the bag?
The cat? I have not heard what happened here. Maybe it fell through. Maybe the kid changed his mind about coming to America. Maybe the student visa is held up. I don't have any idea. I doubt anyone else on this board does either. That is my main point. Some people seem to just want to jump that Syracuse did something wrong. Maybe they did. Probably didn't.

I don't think anybody thinks Red is happy with the roster. He's still recruiting for this fall. If he can't get anybody, that's a problem.

But let's not go out of proportion... We have two really big guys who have the ability to play center, and a few guys who are big and can fill in at center in an emergency. Would it be ideal if we don't get another big? Absolutely not.

I don't think Red intends it this way. The international big that insiders were talking about might still materialize, or some big man who had his heart set on a starting role and big time NIL will settle for being a backup for a year now that roster spots and money are drying up.

There is still time and two scholarships. But, it takes two to tango, Red can’t just draft somebody he likes.
Well, we have one big guy and another really big guy who was rather recently seen in a boot. I hope all is gooder now, but I will find it hard to trust and rely on a 7’+ guy after foot surgery. Another ‘secondary’ option would be valuable. Not saying that’s easy to access and acquire, but it’s not “out of proportion” to be very concerned.

The cat? I have not heard what happened here. Maybe it fell through. Maybe the kid changed his mind about coming to America. Maybe the student visa is held up. I don't have any idea. I doubt anyone else on this board does either. That is my main point. Some people seem to just want to jump that Syracuse did something wrong. Maybe they did. Probably didn't.
Well maybe certain people shouldn’t share insider info until it’s ready to become outsider info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom