Hip Hop thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

My Evidence - Unlearning Vol. 1 vinyl came in today! My favorite album of 2021!

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient is on the way! Finally stopped talking about it and ordered it.

Thinking of going for Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…I think ssbriefcase got that one? Also want to grab some classics from way back…back when I was a little kid with a record player in my bedroom - I’m talking Rakim, Kane, Special Ed, LL, Slick Rick….it just seems right to have to have those on vinyl. That was when tapes were like the “newer” thing but records were still the old standby and nobody had CDs yet.

In terms of new albums coming out, Rome Streetz first album on the Griselda label comes out tonight, Westside Gunn has been hyping it on social media for months. He can certainly rap very well - very excited to see the beats and songs he went with - I’m sure it’s grimy.

Rome Streetz, Freddie Gibbs, and Boldy James all with new ones today. This year is insane, I can’t even keep up.

I love a good storytelling song. This could’ve came out in ‘96. Alchemist on the boards.

I love seeing the best of the best acknowledge the other best of the best. Put all these guys on the dollar bills and stamps.

I love seeing the best of the best acknowledge the other best of the best. Put all these guys on the dollar bills and stamps.

There were only a few KRS ONE did that I really ever liked much when I was younger. Rakim though....nice

I'm kind of enjoying this Jamie Foxx movie, 'Day Shift,' on Netflix for the music alone.

Body Count...haven't heard them in a bit.

There were only a few KRS ONE did that I really ever liked much when I was younger. Rakim though...nice
I loooove KRS’s stuff up until ‘95.

At some point he started just using…crappy beats. IMO. I don’t know if he was getting them for free from nobody’s because he’s KRS and it was a cost saving thing? Or he just wanted his lyrics front and center getting all the shine? Or does he actually like them? No clue. But 87-95?? Legendary run, IMO. My favorite:

Unexpected!!!!
That beat is just GORGEOUS. Everything about it is perfect. And so California.

And Kurupt both raps well and is hilarious. “We wear khakis, f*** jeans!!!” I love that line so much.

Big Sean is a guy I haven’t given enough listens to.

I think in his early years his delivery/voice just made him seem like a an annoying cocky guy that I didn’t like….but actually listening to his lyrics in some of the songs I’ve given more time to and hearing some of his interviews….I may have misjudged him.

Hmmm, I'm going to dwell on this California thing :) I feel 87% of people would pick California Love, just because...LOL

How about - best introductory guest spot on a track - when Snoop Dogg first appears in 'Deep Cover' ftw:

Big Sean is a guy I haven’t given enough listens to.

I think in his early years his delivery/voice just made him seem like a an annoying cocky guy that I didn’t like….but actually listening to his lyrics in some of the songs I’ve given more time to and hearing some of his interviews….I may have misjudged him.

Funny enough, I think I kind of align. I never go in deep cuz somehow I just always think I'll dislike him, while liking a lot of his stuff. lol

Hmmm, I'm going to dwell on this California thing :) I feel 87% of people would pick California Love, just because...LOL

How about - best introductory guest spot on a track - when Snoop Dogg first appears in 'Deep Cover' ftw:

THAT….is hard to top.

AZ on Nas’s “Life’s A Bitch” comes to mind as a contender.

Snoop was a damn BEAST his first few years.

I’ve read that Dre doesn’t like that song and has never performed it. That would align with a guy who put out 3 solo albums….ever. Damn perfectionists, lol.

THAT….is hard to top.

AZ on Nas’s “Life’s A Bitch” comes to mind as a contender.

Snoop was a damn BEAST his first few years.

I’ve read that Dre doesn’t like that song and has never performed it. That would align with a guy who put out 3 solo albums….ever. Damn perfectionists, lol.

Even after years of gangsta rap leading it up to it, and since, I'm not sure anything seemed wilder to me on first listen than the 10 seconds from when Snoop says:

"Whatcha wanna do..." lol

Underground favorite:

Side story - met Median at a show back in August. He was every bit as cool as he seems on record. I looked over during Rapper Big Pooh’s set and he was right next to me….I did a double take and then was probably giving him the Larry David stare trying to figure out if it was him….he looked at me funny probably wondering why I was eyeballing him….I asked “are you Median?”…he laughed and said “I am!” and gave me a pound. 5 minutes later he was on stage performing….which is why I was baffled as to why he was randomly next to me in the crowd in the first place.

Ran into him after the show too but I was drunk, so all I really remember is that he was also drunk and was incredibly cool to drunkenly talk to about music.

Underground favorite:

Side story - met Median at a show back in August. He was every bit as cool as he seems on record. I looked over during Rapper Big Pooh’s set and he was right next to me….I did a double take and then was probably giving him the Larry David stare trying to figure out if it was him….he looked at me funny probably wondering why I was eyeballing him….I asked “are you Median?”…he laughed and said “I am!” and gave me a pound. 5 minutes later he was on stage performing….which is why I was baffled as to why he was randomly next to me in the crowd in the first place.

Ran into him after the show too but I was drunk, so all I really remember is that he was also drunk and was incredibly cool to drunkenly talk to about music.

That's cool af - I wouldn't have asked, so good on you

That's cool af - I wouldn't have asked, so good on you
Ha, I probably wouldn’t have if he didn’t look at me - didn’t want him to think I had a problem with him or something, lol.

Took a picture with Phonte after the show and told him I was there from Syracuse and he said “oh s**%!! You came all the way here for our show?” I told him my brother was in Charlotte and the show gave me a good reason to visit, lol.

The down to earth relatable rhymes were always what drew me to LB and the JL crew, even beyond the beats and rhyme skill….how they are on record is how they are in person.

Another fun convo that show…got talking to the opening act Tab-One from the group Kooley High (Rapsody was in the group before she went solo and blew up), and found out we lived within miles of each other as kids in NC, but went to different schools.

I think I've posted Ocean Wisdom a couple times before, I tend to like UK rappers...but not sure about this one with Meth...his verse is pretty god imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom