Hip Hop thread | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

Those were necessary, but I also bought tapes basically until you couldn’t find them anymore because of my car’s tape player. Had that car until like 2007, so I was still blasting my Illmatic and It Was Written tapes until that time. Can’t help but wonder if they still would work, if I could find a tape player.

Those were necessary, but I also bought tapes basically until you couldn’t find them anymore because of my car’s tape player. Had that car until like 2007, so I was still blasting my Illmatic and It Was Written tapes until that time. Can’t help but wonder if they still would work, if I could find a tape player.

I actually bought a cd deck for my first car (the aforementioned blue cavalier in a different thread haha), so I only used these in my mom’s minivan when I was a kid lol.

Funny story: the first rap CD I ever owned was the Dangerous Minds soundtrack. My 75 year old grandmother bought it for me from Media Play for my 12th birthday. She had to ask an associate for help finding it. To this day, I smile picturing that.

I actually bought a cd deck for my first car (the aforementioned blue cavalier in a different thread haha), so I only used these in my mom’s minivan when I was a kid lol.

Funny story: the first rap CD I ever owned was the Dangerous Minds soundtrack. My 75 year old grandmother bought it for me from Media Play for my 12th birthday. She had to ask an associate for help finding it. To this day, I smile picturing that.

Ha, that’s a great story and memory.

Gangsta’s Paradise is the obvious monster hit, but I still play Devante - Gin and Juice off that soundtrack!

In honor of Magoo’s recent passing: the Gin and Juice Remix, that he featured on. I like the original better, but this one knocks too.

Fun fact: Devante and Da Bassment Crew(that Timbaland, Magoo, Missy Elliott, Ginuwine, Playa, and others were a part of in their early years), were living and recording in Rochester. Music for Jodeci’s 3rd and at the time final album was made there, as well as these Gin and Juice songs and even others off Dangerous Mind were made by that crew there. I’ve never been able to find out why they ended up in Rochester though, as they were all NC, VA, Kentucky natives as far as I know.

Edit: Ok, there’s always more popping up every few years on this, so I got some new info here. I love this kindve stuff, lol.
The Story of DeVante Swing's Da Bassment As Told By the Artists Who Were There - YouKnowIGotSoul.com

Last edited:

MEDIA PLAY!!!!!

Shoppingtowns glory days...

Anybody watch those 'Origins of Hip Hop' on A&E? I just watched the first episode. Not bad - seemed too short. It was the Fat Joe episode.

I had that discman (or one VERY similar)...when I bought it i thought I was the baddest man on Earth. Even though I'd seen like 877,000 people with them before me. Still seemed like a big deal lol
Funny enough, my first experience with one was in my friend’s red Chevy Cav. Must be something about that model, lol.

He had LL - Phenomenon, and JD - Life In 1472. I love LL, but Phenomenon just was not it, lol. Eventually he got DMX’s first album going in there.

Funny enough, my first experience with one was in my friend’s red Chevy Cav. Must be something about that model, lol.

He had LL - Phenomenon, and JD - Life In 1472. I love LL, but Phenomenon just was not it, lol. Eventually he got DMX’s first album going in there.

Phenomenon...hahahah

I remember always saying "something like a phenomenon" with friends because it was so corny. Did not like.

Are these all Zed 28s (as the Canadians call them) or just regular Cavs?

Phenomenon...hahahah

I remember always saying "something like a phenomenon" with friends because it was so corny. Did not like.
To be fair that line was at least a shout to Melle Mel - White Lines.

There wasn’t a lot to that album other than 4,3,2,1 and Father(underrated LL song IMO, and easily the most personal he’s ever gotten). The rest was forgettable.

th

Are these all Zed 28s (as the Canadians call them) or just regular Cavs?

This was basically what I was driving, except a different shade of blue and the rear bumper was made of the most indestructible rubber composite material known to man. The two 12” pioneer subwoofers literally took up 75% of the trunk space.

1693625923665.jpeg

BG finally got out of jail.

I was never much of a Cash Money fan, but BG was easily my favorite. When all that “best rapper alive” stuff started for Wayne, I used to tell those people he was 3rd best out of his own crew after BG and Juvenile.

The day I’m going to Durham for the Little Brother block party concert(featuring one of my favorites Big KRIT as well), the Orange are playing UNC in Chapel Hill. Really wish I could do both. But….concerts, I know I’m having a great time. Sports….if my squad loses, it’s no fun.

Still, wish the concert was on Sunday, I’d LOVE to do both. Saw Cuse hammer UNC in Chapel Hill back in ‘95 - McNabb’s first game.

Pipe dream, but would love if they got Big Daddy Kane to come out and do this one. He’s lived down there for a long time now, which is how this song happened.

2010’s Fabolous - an example of a guy who I had previously respected as a skilled rapper but generally didn’t care for probably 90% of his songs.

All of a sudden he started rapping over beats I liked and making songs I connected with. Not sure there’s ever really been a similar career pattern, at least from my perspective as a fan and what I do and don’t like.

"Shout out to rappers who inspired me in my beginnings/and who I inspired right back when their pens were dwindling"

Love it.

New Little Brother song over a Conductor Williams(Griselda) beat. Love when some my favorites collab for the first time. I’m obviously a huge fan for 20 years, and I still think this is one of their best songs they’ve made.

Side note: I been saying Jay-Z should do an album over Conductor Williams’ beats and I’m trying to talk it into existence.

“Tell the vultures, stay the f*** out the garden if you gon’ whore da culture”(horticulture)

That’s a BAR, lol. There’s a bunch of them.

“They say they love you but they pull out at the last second. A damn shame, rap game withdrawal method.” Smh.

Last edited:
Lupe probably doesn’t get the love he deserves, overall.

Also, never been a huge Wayne fan but he brought it here. Love the beat. And Nas obviously brought it. One of the better songs on the album, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom