Hire a coach and pay him | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Hire a coach and pay him

Tremendous X's an O's coach. He could always be counted on to neat a ranked team with lesser talent.

Just a question, in the 2.5 years with Shafer, how often has that happened?

Keep that in mind Marrone bashers.
You think it's an indictment that a kid can't make the three deep at TCU at QB? You think Eric Dungey is on the three deep at TCU?

That doesn't mean he couldn't be the QB here. They made a two star wing T Qb into an NFL QB.

Shafer needs to go 4-2 to match Marrone's first three seasons. Marrone was rebuilding from Grobs 10-37 and starting from scratch. He inherited by far the worst program in the BCS and actually one of the worst in D-1. The four years prior both total offense and defense, and in almost all other statistical categories, had been ranked below 100, half the time below 110, in each of the prior four years.

Shafer was picking up from 25-25 and a team that had a top 20 offense and top 45 defense the year before.
youre forgetting one thing. Marrones schedule was a joke his last year. Add in playing big east teams. This team with that schedule get to 7-5

Is there a debate if Marrone wanted back he's 100%
Better than Shafer? Shafer has zero statement wins.

I'd say if they lose out u go get Doug if he made overtures to come back or find schiano. Need a guy who has done it in the north east.

You can always go home Doug
i do not believe schiano is an answer. he did what he did with schedueling weak teams. again a very poor gameday coach and a good recruiter. he shut us out of jersey.he came at a time when we neglected our program and they built a new stadium and football complex. that has changed now. any improvement in rutgers was magnified by their previous cellar dwelling status. his w/l record was 500 built with smoke and mirrors.

youre forgetting one thing. Marrones schedule was a joke his last year. Add in playing big east teams. This team with that schedule get to 7-5

Our schedule is a joke this year and we are 3-3, Weakest schedule that I can remember back at least 8 years. We played 3 ranked teams in 2012 and beat one of them.

So far in Shafer's career as HC here, we have played several ranked teams and have beaten exactly zero of them. I love Shafer but we need to start winning these games. And Marrone had far less talent, that should tell you something about how good Marrone was as an X's and O's guy.

So far the 6 teams we played, 5 were worse than most Big East teams we played in 2012.

12 out of 13 opponents were BCS teams. How is that a joke?

Good luck, the farther they get into their schedule, the more injuries start getting racked up as well.

Players are getting frustrated with the scheme on defense already (Williams) and the offense is inept w/o Watkins, Taylor, Percy and having 2 QB's that can't throw the ball.

Notice that the Jets after Rex are 4-1.

True, but Fitzpatrick is better than Geno and Marshall is a stud wideout.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be humorous, or if you're serious. There is no way Marrone is coming back here. Why would someone leave the NFL (where he might be in line for another HC position, regardless of the bizarre departure from Buffalo) to coach at Syracuse? Been there, done that. Just makes no sense.

And the day that Syracuse hires IROC, I turn in my football fan card and become a hoops-only.

I could see him come back 5 years or so from now if he isn't an OC or HC in the NFL. So if we hire a new coach and that new HC moves onto to a better job after 3-4 years then I could see Marrone in the picture. I think he rather be HC at SU than OL in the NFL.

i do not believe schiano is an answer. he did what he did with schedueling weak teams. again a very poor gameday coach and a good recruiter. he shut us out of jersey.he came at a time when we neglected our program and they built a new stadium and football complex. that has changed now. any improvement in rutgers was magnified by their previous cellar dwelling status. his w/l record was 500 built with smoke and mirrors.

I do not want Schiano at all. But IMO he would get bring in better talent, have a better D and STs compared to Shafer. He would be an upgrade. That being said I rather keep Shafer 10 years than see Schiano.

IROC ??
LOL - sorry. An old nickname we had for Shady
Chevrolet_Camaro_IROC-Z-2.jpg

If we do go the new coach route, we're in the ACC, we have the IPF, play in controlled conditions, and you've got legit talent in the freshman and sophomore classes.

That will appeal to somebody good. I'm confident.

Assuming there isn't a mass exodus.

If recruits smell a dead coach walking that will get many to look at other programs so you're damned if you and damned if you don't.

Bottom line the AD makes the decisions. If our talent keeps incrementally increasing under Shafer and our team develops a brand/identity I feel we are better sticking to the current path than rolling the dice on an unknown quantity.

BTW I think the coaches we would have a shot at are not the Tom Herman/Matt Campbell types as those guys are probably already fielding calls from programs with interim coaches. Our guys would be retreads like Randy Edsall, Greg Schiano, Mike Sherman, etc.

Ozcuse said:
If recruits smell a dead coach walking that will get many to look at other programs so you're damned if you and damned if you don't. Bottom line the AD makes the decisions. If our talent keeps incrementally increasing under Shafer and our team develops a brand/identity I feel we are better sticking to the current path than rolling the dice on an unknown quantity. BTW I think the coaches we would have a shot at are not the Tom Herman/Matt Campbell types as those guys are probably already fielding calls from programs with interim coaches. Our guys would be retreads like Randy Edsall, Greg Schiano, Mike Sherman, etc.

No way. Coyle gets it.

There's some risk there, sure. The thing is - the transfer market in college football isn't great. If you play, you'd likely play under a new staff. If you don't play, you may be an unknown for years, and a team needs to be willing to invest in you enough to swallow the transfer season. So I think most of the guys would stay, and certainly the best players among the group of ones that might think about looking elsewhere.

I haven't read all of this thread (thankfully), but from the little I did read, how great would it be if Coyle was fired next year because our football team wins 3 games this year?

That's up there...

There's some risk there, sure. The thing is - the transfer market in college football isn't great. If you play, you'd likely play under a new staff. If you don't play, you may be an unknown for years, and a team needs to be willing to invest in you enough to swallow the transfer season. So I think most of the guys would stay, and certainly the best players among the group of ones that might think about looking elsewhere.
the mass exodus thing is being way overblown. It would affect recruiting, for sure, but not so much for the existing roster. For sure, some players will see the writing on the wall and some may transfer due to a change in style/fit, but change is a given in this industry and players certainly know that. If Syracuse brought in some young, exciting coach with a history of high octane offense, does anyone really think Dungey et al would transfer? Players may be sad to see Shafer go, but they'll turn the page, just like everyone else does when change inevitably comes.

the mass exodus thing is being way overblown. It would affect recruiting, for sure, but not so much for the existing roster. For sure, some players will see the writing on the wall and some may transfer due to a change in style/fit, but change is a given in this industry and players certainly know that. If Syracuse brought in some young, exciting coach with a history of high octane offense, does anyone really think Dungey et al would transfer? Players may be sad to see Shafer go, but they'll turn the page, just like everyone else does when change inevitably comes.

New HC's and OC's mean new systems.

Some of our existing players may not fit the new system. And some will just not "gel" with the new staff.

There's always collateral damage.

I agree.

Is there a debate if Marrone wanted back he's 100%
Better than Shafer? Shafer has zero statement wins.

I'd say if they lose out u go get Doug if he made overtures to come back or find schiano. Need a guy who has done it in the north east.

You can always go home Doug
Trust me on this. We would hire Grob back before Doug

New HC's and OC's mean new systems.

Some of our existing players may not fit the new system. And some will just not "gel" with the new staff.

There's always collateral damage.
sure, and collateral damage does not equal mass exodus. Also, the post that first mentioned "mass exodus" used it in the context of our exciting young offensive talent that, presumably, would be part of what sells an incoming coach on taking the job. The chances of those guys leaving is much, much smaller.

sure, and collateral damage does not equal mass exodus. Also, the post that first mentioned "mass exodus" used it in the context of our exciting young offensive talent that, presumably, would be part of what sells an incoming coach on taking the job. The chances of those guys leaving is much, much smaller.

Ray Rice was collateral damage.

In the decade since:

Rutgers has gone 82-52.
Syracuse has gone 48-80.

I'd hate to see some of our incoming recruits end up at other ACC schools where they'll haunt us for the next 4 years.

We aren't Alabama/Michigan/ND etc with rosters full of talent who can pick up with a new coach and not miss a beat. The big schools have talent in spades on the roster and very few of them leave when a new coach comes in and recruiting typically doesn't suffer much because their brand recruits itself.

What would likely happen here is what happened when Marrone came in. The talented players that stick around will play under the new coach. A bunch of players on the roster will probably leave/get jettisoned and the recruiting class will likely end up being half to 2/3rds what it needs to be. So, our depth suffers a great deal for a couple of years and recruiting still struggles along because of the lack of success in terms of W/L. If Shafer gets fired, we are likely looking at 3-4 years of lackluster performance while rebuilding and we run the risk of GRob redux. No one wants to remember how long it took Coach Mac and there also seems to be some romanticism of the first couple of seasons under Marrone. Wasn't Hackett his 3rd OC in his short tenure? Even halfway through 2012 people on here were calling him an imbecile meathead and that we were the only FBS program where Nassib would start.

I do not want Schiano at all. But IMO he would get bring in better talent, have a better D and STs compared to Shafer. He would be an upgrade. That being said I rather keep Shafer 10 years than see Schiano.
i do not think he would bring in better recruits.times have significantly changed and schiano has been exposed.his "body of work"(i hate that phrase)at ru is now well recognized as basically bogus by all except SOME on the ru board. i liked marrone as a coach, he did a lot with little. do i want him back---yes---BUT WITH A SIGNIFICANT PERSONALITY AND RECRUITING CHANGE----that will not happen---i would stick with shafer for now---not good --needs help---give him the contract extension and money for assistants, and most of all---TRAINING--HE needs training. i want him to succeed---so we can get back in the game as competitors.

kcsu said:
Trust me on this. We would hire Grob back before Doug

Bridges burned.

Ray Rice was collateral damage.

In the decade since:

Rutgers has gone 82-52.
Syracuse has gone 48-80.

I'd hate to see some of our incoming recruits end up at other ACC schools where they'll haunt us for the next 4 years.
oh wow, I must have missed the part where Ray Rice transferred after his freshman season at Syracuse...

we're talking about the possibility of a "mass exodus" of existing players. Nobody disputes that a coaching change wreaks havoc on an incoming recruiting class.

i do not think he would bring in better recruits.times have significantly changed and schiano has been exposed.his "body of work"(i hate that phrase)at ru is now well recognized as basically bogus by all except SOME on the ru board. i liked marrone as a coach, he did a lot with little. do i want him back---yes---BUT WITH A SIGNIFICANT PERSONALITY AND RECRUITING CHANGE----that will not happen---i would stick with shafer for now---not good --needs help---give him the contract extension and money for assistants, and most of all---TRAINING--HE needs training. i want him to succeed---so we can get back in the game as competitors.
I think Shafer was a rushed/bad hire and should not get any extension. That said, if he were to get an extension the buyout should be very, very low. Let him be the new version of Walter Alston (for those old enough to remember who he was).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom