Hire a coach and pay him | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Hire a coach and pay him

What are your qualifications for a top tier team? We weren't even a top tier team in our so called "glory years". We were ranked only 3 times in 10 years under coach Mac. Under Coach P we finished ranked 7 times in 14 years. Finished as high as 6th with what was mostly Mac's recruits. With McNabb at qb we never won more than 9 games, and never ranked higher than 16th. Since 2002 we have been to and won 3 low level bowl games in 13 years. How exactly are we top tier? We will not hire or even draw interest from a top tier coach who can do what Harbaugh has done. Whoever we hire when Shaefer is done will be an up and comer from a non P5, or an assistant from a p5.
Look, I'm as diehard a fan as anyone, but I'm also not delusional. We have a top tier Legacy with our overal wins, hall of famers, etc. But as far as being a top tier football program right now...that ship has sailed. Right now,we are about as relevant as Colorado State.
No you weren't. I was attempting to respond to saltine44retro.

He came in got rid of some bad apples and gave the team what they needed discipline. Other then that he wasn't that great of a coach. Grobs players plus nassibs senior year is what made marrone look better.

That is so ridiculously stupid.

If you are going to comment on the state of the program, have a clue.

Syracuse fired one coach after 4 years. Why do people keep acting like we have gone through this process with three straight coaches. Marrone left on his own and it nearly took am act of Congress to get Coach P let go. People need to let this talking point go.
Whether they were fired or they left the point is still valid. You can't build a program replacing coaches every 3-4 years.

Whether they were fired or they left the point is still valid. You can't build a program replacing coaches every 3-4 years.

Tell that to Cinci.

What you can't do is make bad hires.

Regardless of what 'Bees said swapping Robinson for P set this program back by 10 years, the years he was here and the time it is taking to recover.

This. We are a top-tier team, hire a top-tier NAME. Enough of this bush-league, Buttgirlz style of trying to cheap out. We should be paying for a coach that is Florida State or Clemson level. PERIOD.
don't look now but rutgers OUT RECRUITS US, has BETTER attendance than we do, and at this time appears to be better coached. we are no longer a top tier team and have not been in more than a decade .reality is always SOBERING.

That is so ridiculously stupid.

If you are going to comment on the state of the program, have a clue.
Yeah I'm clueless marrone was a golden god we sure bring him back right now. Just tell me this if he was so good tell me who would have been his qb and don't tell me hunt cause he's not serviceable in what would have been hackets system. Zach Allen. Not a chance kid couldn't even get on the three deep at tcu. Marrone could never close With the decent to good recruits. We would be in the same situation we are now with him. Except atleast now we are getting talent in. Wake up marrone saw the writing on the wall and jump ship to buffalo.

Yeah I'm clueless marrone was a golden god we sure bring him back right now. Just tell me this if he was so good tell me who would have been his qb and don't tell me hunt cause he's not serviceable in what would have been hackets system. Zach Allen. Not a chance kid couldn't even get on the three deep at tcu. Marrone could never close With the decent to good recruits. We would be in the same situation we are now with him. Except atleast now we are getting talent in. Wake up marrone saw the writing on the wall and jump ship to buffalo.
Marrone did an outstanding job for us. To say otherwise is rewriting history. Yes, it was an ugly divorce but I would love to see what he could do here with the IPF, ACC affiliation and the young talent in the program.

I'm not saying he didn't do a good job. He righted the grob sinking ship. But I really feel he maxed out what he was going to do. Shafer is bringing in better players every class. Marrone wasn't a recruiter

Marrone did an outstanding job for us. To say otherwise is rewriting history. Yes, it was an ugly divorce but I would love to see what he could do here with the IPF, ACC affiliation and the young talent in the program.
Tremendous X's an O's coach. He could always be counted on to beat a ranked team with lesser talent ( a lot less talent).

Just a question, in the 2.5 years with Shafer, how often has that happened? How many ranked teams have we beaten, yep zero. Meaning Shafer better fix the X & O part of the equation because he wont have time to use his own recruits if he doesn't.

Keep that in mind Marrone bashers.

Is there a debate if Marrone wanted back he's 100%
Better than Shafer? Shafer has zero statement wins.

I'd say if they lose out u go get Doug if he made overtures to come back or find schiano. Need a guy who has done it in the north east.

You can always go home Doug

don't look now but rutgers OUT RECRUITS US, has BETTER attendance than we do, and at this time appears to be better coached. we are no longer a top tier team and have not been in more than a decade .reality is always SOBERING.

Jesus, he's one of you, a Rutgers troll.

Shafer makes 1.4 million a year? Yeah, I don't feel sorry for the guy.

Is there a debate if Marrone wanted back he's 100%
Better than Shafer? Shafer has zero statement wins.

I'd say if they lose out u go get Doug if he made overtures to come back or find schiano. Need a guy who has done it in the north east.

You can always go home Doug
I'm not sure if this is meant to be humorous, or if you're serious. There is no way Marrone is coming back here. Why would someone leave the NFL (where he might be in line for another HC position, regardless of the bizarre departure from Buffalo) to coach at Syracuse? Been there, done that. Just makes no sense.

And the day that Syracuse hires IROC, I turn in my football fan card and become a hoops-only.

Jesus, he's one of you, a Rutgers troll.
hardly, but a harsh reality. i guess that anyone that presents factual information that disagrees with a statement that is way off base is considered by u to be troll. i would hardly call us elite at this time.the fact that u see us that way is denial. can we come back to respectability? i hope so, but living in a fantasy world will not help the matter. we compete against ru for (and others) for nj recruits, that is my concern. to give u more ammunition, i am for extending shafers contract now as i have said in previous posts

I'm not sure if this is meant to be humorous, or if you're serious. There is no way Marrone is coming back here. Why would someone leave the NFL (where he might be in line for another HC position, regardless of the bizarre departure from Buffalo) to coach at Syracuse? Been there, done that. Just makes no sense.

And the day that Syracuse hires IROC, I turn in my football fan card and become a hoops-only.

Look how much better Rex is doing than Marrone with the Bills... (laying the sarcasm on thick)

My wife is a Bills fan and people are already wanting to get rid of him. As quirky as Marrone is/was, he is a far better coach than Rex Ryan.

There is also no way Marrone comes back here but people who bash him have no clue and unfortunately unlike Marrone, Shafer has not had a signature win to hang his hat on like Marrone who had several.

Look how much better Rex is doing than Marrone with the Bills... (laying the sarcasm on thick)

My wife is a Bills fan and people are already wanting to get rid of him. As quirky as Marrone is/was, he is a far better coach than Rex Ryan.

There is also no way Marrone comes back here but people who bash him have no clue and unfortunately unlike Marrone, Shafer has not had a signature win to hang his hat on like Marrone who had several.
Agree - I wasn't trying to bash Marrone. Just stating my opinion that there is no way he would come back here.

IROC ??

Agree - I wasn't trying to bash Marrone. Just stating my opinion that there is no way he would come back here.

I know you weren't just bringing things into context I guess for Marrone bashers which I know you aren't one of.

CuseOnly said:
Look how much better Rex is doing than Marrone with the Bills... (laying the sarcasm on thick) My wife is a Bills fan and people are already wanting to get rid of him. As quirky as Marrone is/was, he is a far better coach than Rex Ryan. There is also no way Marrone comes back here but people who bash him have no clue and unfortunately unlike Marrone, Shafer has not had a signature win to hang his hat on like Marrone who had several.
I still think they win ten. Schedule gets easier. They lost to Brady manning and dalton who are better than most of the rest of their schedule

I still think they win ten. Schedule gets easier. They lost to Brady manning and dalton who are better than most of the rest of their schedule

Good luck, the farther they get into their schedule, the more injuries start getting racked up as well.

Players are getting frustrated with the scheme on defense already (Williams) and the offense is inept w/o Watkins, Taylor, Percy and having 2 QB's that can't throw the ball.

Notice that the Jets after Rex are 4-1.

You think it's an indictment that a kid can't make the three deep at TCU at QB? You think Eric Dungey is on the three deep at TCU?

That doesn't mean he couldn't be the QB here. They made a two star wing T Qb into an NFL QB.

Shafer needs to go 4-2 to match Marrone's first three seasons. Marrone was rebuilding from Grobs 10-37 and starting from scratch. He inherited by far the worst program in the BCS and actually one of the worst in D-1. The four years prior both total offense and defense, and in almost all other statistical categories, had been ranked below 100, half the time below 110, in each of the prior four years.

Shafer was picking up from 25-25 and a team that had a top 20 offense and top 45 defense the year before.

This whole attempt to set them against each other is stupid.

And the whole comeback thing is a non starter. I think Patrino, Majors, and John Robinson might be the list and none of them worked out all that great.

Assess after next year and if this years investment pays off everyone should be happy, if it doesn't Coyle will have to figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom