Hire a coach and pay him | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Hire a coach and pay him

jekelish said:
Agreed. I don't get how it's misleading at all. Those young guys beat out older guys. Shafer's young players are clearly better than the talent he inherited. Look at our starting lineup: it's half true freshmen, true sophomores, and redshirt freshmen. I'm getting frustrated as hell, and I'm open to some changes on the staff - Fred Reed in particular should be feeling his arse getting warm. But if we replace Shafer, that would be 4 coaches in a decade. That is absolutely NOT the way to build any sort of sustainable product. I want Shafer to get one more year, with this young group of players having a full season under their belts. If the 2016 season is a struggle? Then yes, it's time to start talking about making a change. I know a lot of people have probably already pointed this out, but Coach Mac was 12-20-1 over his first three seasons. These things take time, which I realize isn't ideal in a time when everyone demands instant gratification.

Yep. Evaluate Shafer on his 2.5 seasons. Not 15 years of bad/mediocre football.

SoBeCuse said:
Virginia isn't good at all but I saw a better OL, better RBs, from them. Those two units wore us down.

For sure on RB. Mizzell looks like an NFL guy.

For sure on RB. Mizzell looks like an NFL guy.
I think people forget, or just didn't realize, but Mizzell was a top 100 recruit nationally a couple years ago. Rated by 2 4 7 as the 2nd best APB in the country as a high school senior (and the #1 APB by Rovals, now that I look). That dude has serious talent.

Agreed. I don't get how it's misleading at all. Those young guys beat out older guys. Shafer's young players are clearly better than the talent he inherited. Look at our starting lineup: it's half true freshmen, true sophomores, and redshirt freshmen.

I'm getting frustrated as hell, and I'm open to some changes on the staff - Fred Reed in particular should be feeling his arse getting warm. But if we replace Shafer, that would be 4 coaches in a decade. That is absolutely NOT the way to build any sort of sustainable product. I want Shafer to get one more year, with this young group of players having a full season under their belts. If the 2016 season is a struggle? Then yes, it's time to start talking about making a change. I know a lot of people have probably already pointed this out, but Coach Mac was 12-20-1 over his first three seasons. These things take time, which I realize isn't ideal in a time when everyone demands instant gratification.

The past should have no influence on future coaching decisions. If Coyle thinks that Shafer can be here long term then give him another year or even an extension. But keeping a guy around because it would be our 4th HC or for fear of making a change is a worse decision. We would have been better off as a program is GRob got the axe after 3 years. There are a lot of examples like that, just look at UVA. In the last 25 years how many times has a school fired a new HC too soon only to have that HC go on to have success elsewhere? I can only think of one and I bet no one here can name three. Schools fear getting rid of a HC too early but that scenario never happens. However the scenario of keeping a HC too long and putting yourself in a bigger hole happens all the time.

Shafer has been here 7 years. The fact that the D looks so bad and there hasn't been many glimpses from the D youth is very concerning. Also the longer you wait to make a move the more you can waste your current young talent. I don't want to have to wait until Dungey is a SR to have a 2012 like season.

Deano said:
*****THIS******

I like Daoust as much as the next person, but our DL has been shredded the last 2 weeks. And UVa was missing a couple OL.

The past should have no influence on future coaching decisions. If Coyle thinks that Shafer can be here long term then give him another year or even an extension. But keeping a guy around because it would be our 4th HC or for fear of making a change is a worse decision. We would have been better off as a program is GRob got the axe after 3 years. There are a lot of examples like that, just look at UVA. In the last 25 years how many times has a school fired a new HC too soon only to have that HC go on to have success elsewhere? I can only think of one and I bet no one here can name three. Schools fear getting rid of a HC too early but that scenario never happens. However the scenario of keeping a HC too long and putting yourself in a bigger hole happens all the time.

If only we'd kept Pasqualoni one more year. :rolleyes:

I like Daoust as much as the next person, but our DL has been shredded the last 2 weeks. And UVa was missing a couple OL.
I'll remind everyone, that before the season started, the consensus was that the offense would keep us in games with the developing weapons we had. The defensive line was going to be a MAJOR rebuilding project, with only Thompson as a proven player. The defensive line would be our weak spot due to inexperience and youth.
So basically what I'm getting at, is now that the dust has settled, and we've seen what we have on offense and defense, we are pretty much have EXACTLY what we thought we would have. For some reason though, people are suddenly shocked that our defensive line is getting shredded, and our offense is keeping us in games. It's to the point that people want Shaefer and Daoust fired.
I think when we got off to our fools gold 3-1 start, our D-line played well enough against bad teams, that we all assumed they'd be fine, and once the offense catches up we'd be a pretty solid team.

I think people forget, or just didn't realize, but Mizzell was a top 100 recruit nationally a couple years ago. Rated by 2 4 7 as the 2nd best APB in the country as a high school senior (and the #1 APB by Rovals, now that I look). That dude has serious talent.

Funny how those 5 stars creep up on you Oh Lord

This. We are a top-tier team, hire a top-tier NAME. Enough of this bush-league, Buttgirlz style of trying to cheap out. We should be paying for a coach that is Florida State or Clemson level. PERIOD.

I love delusional posts.

Marrone no thanks, guy can't recruit at all. Any of those other names no thanks. Shady is interesting because he can recruit. Give him money for good coaches and that is interesting.

I really don't understand where the 67% is misleading. Dungy is head and shoulders above all the other qbs including hunt. The kids he has brought in beat out all the upper classmen that makes them better so the 67 isn't misleading at all. Hacket had a few bad years before he hit it with nassib on his senior year. Lester needs the growing also. Reed in my book should be replaced. Last thing the guy that said nassib will go down as being better then dungy are out of their mind. Dungy is the real deal. Nassib had zero touch.

Team is young and clearly lacks talent at a lot of positions. Blame coaches for not doing more with no/little talent. Nice.

Shafer has been here 7 years. The fact that the D looks so bad and there hasn't been many glimpses from the D youth is very concerning. Also the longer you wait to make a move the more you can waste your current young talent. I don't want to have to wait until Dungey is a SR to have a 2012 like season.

How many schools have rebuilt their programs by firing head coaches every 3-4 years until they came up with someone who had immediate success?

I love delusional posts.
What are your qualifications for a top tier team? We weren't even a top tier team in our so called "glory years". We were ranked only 3 times in 10 years under coach Mac. Under Coach P we finished ranked 7 times in 14 years. Finished as high as 6th with what was mostly Mac's recruits. With McNabb at qb we never won more than 9 games, and never ranked higher than 16th. Since 2002 we have been to and won 3 low level bowl games in 13 years. How exactly are we top tier? We will not hire or even draw interest from a top tier coach who can do what Harbaugh has done. Whoever we hire when Shaefer is done will be an up and comer from a non P5, or an assistant from a p5.
Look, I'm as diehard a fan as anyone, but I'm also not delusional. We have a top tier Legacy with our overal wins, hall of famers, etc. But as far as being a top tier football program right now...that ship has sailed. Right now,we are about as relevant as Colorado State.

How many schools have rebuilt their programs by firing head coaches every 3-4 years until they came up with someone who had immediate success?
none

I joked in the game thread that we should offer Briles the University endowment.

Honestly, we might get the better end of that deal.

What are your qualifications for a top tier team? We weren't even a top tier team in our so called "glory years". We were ranked only 3 times in 10 years under coach Mac. Under Coach P we finished ranked 7 times in 14 years. Finished as high as 6th with what was mostly Mac's recruits. With McNabb at qb we never won more than 9 games, and never ranked higher than 16th. Since 2002 we have been to and won 3 low level bowl games in 13 years. How exactly are we top tier? We will not hire or even draw interest from a top tier coach who can do what Harbaugh has done. Whoever we hire when Shaefer is done will be an up and comer from a non P5, or an assistant from a p5.
Look, I'm as diehard a fan as anyone, but I'm also not delusional. We have a top tier Legacy with our overal wins, hall of famers, etc. But as far as being a top tier football program right now...that ship has sailed. Right now,we are about as relevant as Colorado State.

I don't think I was even talking to you...

upload_2015-10-18_13-20-14.png

But as an additional response to Saltine44Retro

Jimbo Fisher FSU's coach makes $4 mil a year and his staff makes a ton too
Dabo at Clemson makes $3.3 mil a year and his OC was making $1.2 million

Shafer is paid $1.4 mil a year. Just think of what it would take to lure that level of coach to Syracuse with all the negatives SU has that both of those schools don't.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

While I would love to get a "Name" coach, think about the situation objectively.

Take a look at the brief list below and tell me what Syracuse has better than any other P5 school. Then factor in the salary of said program's coach and ask yourself if you would want that team's coach and want to pay them and a staff that they would want.

upload_2015-10-18_13-45-27.png

Syracuse fired one coach after 4 years. Why do people keep acting like we have gone through this process with three straight coaches. Marrone left on his own and it nearly took am act of Congress to get Coach P let go. People need to let this talking point go.

P fired grob fired marrone left add in shafer like some people want that's 4 coaches. Marrone wasn't a savior. He came in got rid of some bad apples and gave the team what they needed discipline. Other then that he wasn't that great of a coach. Grobs players plus nassibs senior year is what made marrone look better.

skytop44 said:
If there is a change, we need to get someone who fits Syracuse. We saw under GRob that if the person is the wrong fit for this area and school, it could turn out to be a disaster. I would love Justin Fuente but he already makes 1.4 Mil and is probably in line for a South Carolina type job. The only thing that gives me pause about a guy like Matt Campbell is that if he has success here, will he stay long term or will he try and move on because he'll be the young hot name for awhile. We don't need a flashy offense. If we can hire Syracuse's version of Jim Harbaugh, or someone like that that fits Syracuse and will stay and not leave the first chance he gets.
Someone who fits syracuse is a cliche Dino meathead. Hire someone good. If they leave hire someone else good

Someone who fits syracuse is a cliche Dino meathead. Hire someone good. If they leave hire someone else good
Yeah, I'm not even sure what "get someone who fits Syracuse" means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom