Hofstra / Vermont and Yale Scrimmages | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hofstra / Vermont and Yale Scrimmages

I think as others have noted, outside of the 7 goal first this was an excellent outcome for SU. Most importantly I didnt hear anything about injuries and the Phaup news is beyond encouraging. Still things to work on for sure but the early returns are as good as we could have expected and not to toot my own horn but I've been telling this board about Cook for probably 4 or 5 years now, look out kid is ready to bust out. Need to try and keep Phaup relatively healthy and find the right combo at close but this team is definitely on the right track.
Yes you called it early on RE: Cook, good eye there, very excited to see the chemistry the teams is developing. They have so many weapons this year can’t wait for Friday!!!! GO ORANGE!

I haven't seen any footage obviously but based on the lack of midfield scoring I am assuming Yale double polled the midfield which resulted in Dordevic being held scoreless and Trimbo having 1 pt. Buttermore had 2 and Magnan got on the score sheet which is encouraging. Nice to see Seebold and our young FL attackmen have success as well.

Injury update
That second midfield line would normally be led by junior David Lipka. But Lipka has an undisclosed ailment and sat out last week’s scrimmages against Hofstra and Vermont as well as the Yale game. Desko said Lipka will likely be ready for the Colgate opener.

SU midfielder Dami Oladunmoye left the scrimmage with an apparent foot injury. Desko had no update on him.

Syracuse stats
Scoring
Cook, 3-2-5; Scanlan, 2-3-5; Seebold, 2-2-4; Rehfuss, 2-1-3; Buttermore, 2-0-2; A. Kim, 1-0-1; Curry, 1-0-1; Trimboli, 0-1-1; Dearth, 1-0-1; Helmer, 1-0-1; Berkman, 1-0-1; Magnan, 1-0-1

Goalie saves
Porter, 4; Strang, 3

Faceoffs
Phaup, 11-18; Varello, 4-11, Garlow, 2-6

That's the goalie you're looking at.

Well then ...

PtMpYU.gif

For me, the most positive news coming out of the scrimmage included the fact that SU may have out shot Yale in the first quarter despite the score. If those shots were accurate, I would conclude that it was an even scrimmage. Like Air Force's win yesterday, Yale's good fortune included excellent goal tending. I would like to hear an assessment of SU's defense shortie and close. Don't like 14 goals.

According to the Syracuse.com article it sounds like Cook and Scanlan were on the man up - it also mentions Seebold being on man up as well but I wonder if that was with the starters in? Either way Cook being on man up (and scoring at least two emo goals) is a good sign for the sophomore. If there were any starters going to sit on extra-man I thought it would have been him.

If Dami is out I wonder if they keep Murphy or Helmer at ssdmif that ship has sailed?

According to the Syracuse.com article it sounds like Cook and Scanlan were on the man up - it also mentions Seebold being on man up as well but I wonder if that was with the starters in? Either way Cook being on man up (and scoring at least two emo goals) is a good sign for the sophomore. If there were any starters going to sit on extra-man I thought it would have been him.

If Dami is out I wonder if they keep Murphy or Helmer at ssdmif that ship has sailed?

The Helmer ship has sailed I believe, I think Murphy might still be an option but I am not sure on that. SSDM will still have Dearth, Small, Dieball, Partamian and Barlow who I think is primed to play a big role at SSDM. Dearth is hardly leaving the field so we should still be OK as we esentially have to fill one spot. That said hopefully its not anything long term for Dami. The bigger concern is really next year when we lose Dearth and Small. Dieball is someone to keep an eye on, has the size for the position that you love to see but not sure about the speed. I am sure if Dami is out long term the team will make a few changes but if Kennedy is playing close as much as we think he will be then Helmer is out for SSDM.

For me, the most positive news coming out of the scrimmage included the fact that SU may have out shot Yale in the first quarter despite the score. If those shots were accurate, I would conclude that it was an even scrimmage. Like Air Force's win yesterday, Yale's good fortune included excellent goal tending. I would like to hear an assessment of SU's defense shortie and close. Don't like 14 goals.
If I recall correctly, Desko said in his post-game remarks that Yale scored a bunch of goals in the first half in unsettled situations, but that our defenders eventually adjusted to that.

Keep in mind Yale scored 7 goals in the 1st and then 7 the rest of the game. Need a better start but the D the remaining 3 quarters was an excellent sign.

Damn, still can’t hit a house with that shot though.

Nah that was just a freak thing. Either the ball slipped out or it was blocked or checked by the d pole. We know he can hit that.

Did Clary or Page play D play in the scrimmage yesterday?

I think if any of the SSDMs get injured someone is burning their redshirt, maybe even one of the freshman poles! I really don’t think we should redshirt all of the them!

Who is the backup goal keeper right now? This is a real concern and the Goalie position is a part of recruitment that we need to get better at!

I think if any of the SSDMs get injured someone is burning their redshirt, maybe even one of the freshman poles! I really don’t think we should redshirt all of the them!

Who is the backup goal keeper right now? This is a real concern and the Goalie position is a part of recruitment that we need to get better at!
Since none of the Freshman have been mentioned my gut says that the staff is going to try to redshirt as many as possible including Clary & Page. With the injuries at SSDM I believe we'll probably see Aviles get some runs.

G Strang is very good. Larger question is who backups next year .SSDM has bodies in place and Aviles is in that rotation. Burning a r/s might happen if injury issues spring at D/lsm

G Strang is very good. Larger question is who backups next year .SSDM has bodies in place and Aviles is in that rotation. Burning a r/s might happen if injury issues spring at D/lsm
Probably just an injury away from potentially burning a r/s with either Clary or Page. Seems like they're primarily rotating 6 on defense w/ Mellen, Murphy, DP, Helmer, Kennedy, & Fernandez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom