Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

Yeah, we actually have more dirt roads in VT than asphalt. Plus a good friend of ours got killed road riding a few years ago, so it makes road riding really scary for me quite honestly. I love mountain biking more than any of the others, but I try to be respectful of trails when the conditions aren't great, like they will be tomorrow after it rains heavy today. You can just up and go with a gravel bike, or so they tell me. I have slightly wider tires on my single-speed city bike, but doing hills around here is no fun with no gears. That's my drinking downtown bike.

I'm stuck with the roads here that are full of old people, young kids on cell phones and tourist. What could go wrong?
A drinking bike is a very good choice and they can be very versatile after multiple drinks.

I'm stuck with the roads here that are full of old people, young kids on cell phones and tourist. What could go wrong?
A drinking bike is a very good choice and they can be very versatile after multiple drinks.
When I move to Florida, a beach cruiser will likely be my drinking bike of choice.

Debated making a new thread but it will probably get lose somewhere.

Any bikers out there? Not talking street biking, more of the hybrid types. I am trying to get myself a bike (been years) and wondering if any people have recommendations for brands. Like I said, I don't want a road bike and I don't need anything serious (like mountain bikes), so a hybrid for primarily street/light trail riding is best.

I love casual biking and use a hybrid for a lot of 20-30 mile rides with friends/family -- usually on paved trails (and usually ending at a bar or taco shop).

I have a Trek 7.5 FX I use for it -- probably right around the price range you mentioned. But the best advice for buying most bikes is that the better brands Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc will have very similar qualities at similar price points. Pick out your local bike shop with the best service reviews, try a few different brands/types at the price point you want, and select what feels the best for you. Spend the money to get the bike serviced each year -- it's well worth the money to keep the bike feeling like new.

You can't watch old reruns forever. At least I can't.

My gym closed and I don't feel like moving furniture out of a room so set up my weights that have been stacked in the garage for years.

I've been doing yoga online, pull ups and riding my bike. Here's one that's pretty good yoga link

I may set up a limited amount of weights but I'm looking for exercise ideas to suplement not having a gym.

So far, my workout has been drinking a lot of beer, earlier and earlier in the day.
Get the work done, go out for a drive, and then get some beers.
I need to get started with some healthy activity in the morning, before the devil on my shoulder gets started.

You can't watch old reruns forever. At least I can't.

My gym closed and I don't feel like moving furniture out of a room so set up my weights that have been stacked in the garage for years.

I've been doing yoga online, pull ups and riding my bike. Here's one that's pretty good yoga link

I may set up a limited amount of weights but I'm looking for exercise ideas to suplement not having a gym.

Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty good website.
I've been looking for something like this.

So far, my workout has been drinking a lot of beer, earlier and earlier in the day.
Get the work done, go out for a drive, and then get some beers.
I need to get started with some healthy activity in the morning, before the devil on my shoulder gets started.

At least you're not sitting around watching reruns. ;)

At least you're not sitting around watching reruns. ;)
I love reruns. My daily diet consists of Cheers, Mad About You, Green Acres, Taxi, Newsradio, The Office, Bob Newhart, and Seinfeld. I’ll finish the series, then start over.

I love reruns. My daily diet consists of Cheers, Mad About You, Green Acres, Taxi, Newsradio, The Office, Bob Newhart, and Seinfeld. I’ll finish the series, then start over.

I was kidding him about his beer drinking.

Green Acres?!?

I have really never been out of shape and always mixed cardio with heavy weightlifting for the past 10 years, but at my physical in December I had a cholesterol read of 256. Since quarantine started I have been running 7.5 miles every other day and its dropped to 201 with minimal change to diet and I have dropped 10 pounds. Still doing 200-300 pushups with 400 kettlebell swings at 60lbs on the days I don't run.

Time to revive this thread.

I'm coming to the end of a 15-week workout routine my son and I have been doing to improve leaping ability. Oddly enough, it seems to be working for his nearly 17-year old legs than it is for my 51-yo pins. But, I can honestly say that I've gained at least a few inches on my vertical, which is pretty cool.

What I didn't really know when I started this nonsense, but that my Apple Watch told me, was that I was suffering from atrial fibrillation. Was messing around with the watch back in late March or so and tried out the ECG app. Told me I showed signs of aFib and if that result wasn't expected I should consult my doc, so I did figuring the doc would downplay the watch results. But, they got me in the very next day to get a full EKG, and it was confirmed.

I immediately went on blood thinners (Eliquis) to prevent a stroke from my blood not pumping correctly and clotting up in one of my heart chambers. Was on those for nearly 2 months before they finally opened the hospital back up so I could have a procedure to set my heart back to sinus rhythm. Called a cardioversion, it's basically a shock with a large rectangular patch on my chest and one on my back, and the charge flows from one to the other. Had that done May 21st, and it worked on the first try. I've been normal rhythm since that day, luckily.

In terms of athletic performance, when I was doing this workout routine, I'd see heart rates up to 205 when I was doing the really taxing stuff. Haven't seen anything above 157 since my procedure. I'm feeling a ton better as well.

The best part of this is that once I was able to get off the blood thinners, I was able to get back on my mountain bike. And thanks to excellent financial planning by my company prior to Covid, I recently received a nice bonus, so I rewarded myself with a new bike. Here she is.

s1600_2019_Pivot_Trail_429_Pro_XT_XTR_1X_29_with_Reynolds_wheels_upgrade_crimson.jpg

Super excited to be healthy again, and really happy to finally be on a top notch ride.

I'm coming to the end of a 15-week workout routine my son and I have been doing to improve leaping ability. Oddly enough, it seems to be working for his nearly 17-year old legs than it is for my 51-yo pins. But, I can honestly say that I've gained at least a few inches on my vertical, which is pretty cool.

What I didn't really know when I started this nonsense, but that my Apple Watch told me, was that I was suffering from atrial fibrillation. Was messing around with the watch back in late March or so and tried out the ECG app. Told me I showed signs of aFib and if that result wasn't expected I should consult my doc, so I did figuring the doc would downplay the watch results. But, they got me in the very next day to get a full EKG, and it was confirmed.

I immediately went on blood thinners (Eliquis) to prevent a stroke from my blood not pumping correctly and clotting up in one of my heart chambers. Was on those for nearly 2 months before they finally opened the hospital back up so I could have a procedure to set my heart back to sinus rhythm. Called a cardioversion, it's basically a shock with a large rectangular patch on my chest and one on my back, and the charge flows from one to the other. Had that done May 21st, and it worked on the first try. I've been normal rhythm since that day, luckily.

In terms of athletic performance, when I was doing this workout routine, I'd see heart rates up to 205 when I was doing the really taxing stuff. Haven't seen anything above 157 since my procedure. I'm feeling a ton better as well.

The best part of this is that once I was able to get off the blood thinners, I was able to get back on my mountain bike. And thanks to excellent financial planning by my company prior to Covid, I recently received a nice bonus, so I rewarded myself with a new bike. Here she is.

s1600_2019_Pivot_Trail_429_Pro_XT_XTR_1X_29_with_Reynolds_wheels_upgrade_crimson.jpg

Super excited to be healthy again, and really happy to finally be on a top notch ride.

Great to hear you’re doing better. The same thing just happened with my wife’s uncle finding out due to his Apple Watch. What a great use of technology.

Holy cow, glad you're all right. And nice bike.

Nice.

Where did you get the ride?

Nice.

Where did you get the ride?
Craigslist. It was also listed on pinkbike. Guy was local and gave me a deal because it was going to save the hassle of breaking it down to ship somewhere else, plus that expense.

Sweet new steed! :cool:

Many happy miles!

Heart rate at 205? That’s crazy . I get mine to 165 and want to slow my workout down a little . Happy to hear you are doing well .

I have really never been out of shape and always mixed cardio with heavy weightlifting for the past 10 years, but at my physical in December I had a cholesterol read of 256. Since quarantine started I have been running 7.5 miles every other day and its dropped to 201 with minimal change to diet and I have dropped 10 pounds. Still doing 200-300 pushups with 400 kettlebell swings at 60lbs on the days I don't run.
Any updates on that cholesterol? Sounds like you are having success reducing weight, so I imagine the levels are coming down as well. Or hope.

Any updates on that cholesterol? Sounds like you are having success reducing weight, so I imagine the levels are coming down as well. Or hope.

My cholesterol dropped about 40 points when I had it checked out in June. I wasn’t heavy at all, but I’ve drastically cut out most sugar. WFH has helped with my diet by avoiding crappy business lunches and office sweets people bring in. The lack of travel has helped too.

My cholesterol dropped about 40 points when I had it checked out in June. I wasn’t heavy at all, but I’ve drastically cut out most sugar. WFH has helped with my diet by avoiding crappy business lunches and office sweets people bring in. The lack of travel has helped too.
Same here, but I hit the road again for the first time in two weeks. Should be interesting. I'm down 6-8 pounds, but stronger and in much better shape now. Not really supposed to drink with AFib, so that's helped.