Hooville Postgame thoughts... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hooville Postgame thoughts...

Is it Lacrosse season yet?

We have no chance finishing in the ACC Top 6 unless we can knock down open 3s. Oh and get ball movement to get open 3s.

Glass half full:

I think we'll be a much better team in February with more work in the new system.

Hes struggling to reliably catch passes. Contributes very little if we aren’t in a full court press. He’s regressed it sucks.

Sure he seems to have a better attitude than most of the team but that doesn’t help us win games. Cuffe was poor today when he came in finally so I’m not sure we have a solution. Maybe Taylor at the 2 and let Benny and Bell be on the floor together?
Benny and Bell together is the only thing I’d like less than Benny being out at all

It should’ve happened by now, but Red needs to crack the whip, instill some discipline, and humble these guys. Bobby Knight their asses. None of them are as good as they think.

Judah’s defense was atrocious today. Going for steals and terrible switching killed us repeatedly.

He sat some guys down today, like Judah in the first half, and Bell as well when he failed to cover on a couple shooters.

What derailed us in the first half is Judah having, what? 2 points?

Copeland’s an effort guy. Better than being a bystander, selfish or a pouter
Actually, no. He turns the ball over in situations that give up points. Against quality teams, he really hurts us. Against weak ooc teams , he is quite effective.

Actually, no. He turns the ball over in situations that give up points. Against quality teams, he really hurts us. Against weak ooc teams , he is quite effective.
That's exactly what I'm seeing in Copeland too. Just not sure he can help us much against top ACC competition. Unfortunately he's not the only one.

I know how Red wants to play, but this roster can’t win that way. We are better defensively when both Brown and McCloud are on the floor. Brown can high low to the big guy. We have to stop thinking we can score from the perimeter. Four spread is not working. High low with the two big guys. We have to score inside. You can’t throw it to McCloud once every seven minutes. Get him the ball and play from there. Our movement looks good, but it’s not accomplishing anything. The only way Bell and Taylor are going to get open shots is by someone scoring in the post. Penetrating by passing is just as effective as driving the ball. Only positive today is JJ actually made two threes. When this team got down five, I actually felt the game is over. They can’t share the ball consistently to overcome deficits. No one on this team cuts without the ball. Red has his hands full with this roster.

We don't have enough talent and Red should have turned the roster over completely. We have a bunch of role-players logging tons of minutes.

Players on the roster that could start for ACC teams:
-Mintz
-JJ (maybe blah he is close to being dropped down)
-Westry (I put him here without seeing him)

Players on the roster that can be rotational players for ACC teams:
-Cuffe
-Brown
-Bell
-Taylor
-McLeod
-Benny

Players that shouldn't be on ACC roster:
-Carey
-Copeland
-Hima
Turned the roster over how? It isn't not only easy, but is it actually doable? So, we run guys off and hope we land better fits? We did that with Joe G. how has that worked out so far?

There is a SERIOUS culture problem around the Syracuse basketball program. I thought getting a new coach would help but it has possibly become worse in the short term because Red doesn’t have the same clout with the players as JB did. Any team we play with a tough, cohesive mentality that plays together and with a purpose is going to pound what we’ve seen on the floor the last 10 years basically every time. We aren’t disciplined, we don’t play tough, we don’t play together, we seem like we lack a plan and a purpose on both ends of the floor, we don’t make plays down the stretch of close games, etc etc etc. Those things I mentioned are a sign of a positive culture around a program and we don’t have it in football or basketball and haven’t for a long time. I know it’s Red’s first year and we need to give him time, but the problem is JB held on for too long. Another crappy season or two where we can’t win a quad one game or make the big dance and this program is headed to complete irrelevance just like the football program.

The sad thing is I was actually looking forward to this game. My fault for thinking we actually could and should have competed.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone was excited about this game. This was never going to be competitive. Our only strength is getting to the rim and getting fouled. That was just not going to happen against a Tony Bennett defense (getting to the rim) or in an ACC road game (getting fouled). We can’t execute in the half court and every game against UVA is a half court slog. In a twist, we also put in zero effort defensively which was a tad unexpected and ballooned the score, but didn’t really change the outcome. To make matters especially worse, their PG outclassed Judah in every aspect of the game. Usually we’re gonna have to count on him being the best guard in the game. Here it was very much not the case.

A buddy showed me before the season Ken Pom projected 9 wins for this team. I didn’t think it was possible to be much worse than the past two seasons. But here we are and I’ve seen enough to think Ken Pom is spot on. Buckle up. It’s going to be a long winter. This team has so many flaws from talent, attitude, effort, identity, scheme, to new coaches that look overwhelmed.

If you want to watch a team that plays hard, is well coached, and doesn’t have any divas… Hamilton, NY is a short drive from Syracuse for the locals.

hhaha...

is it Red?

Or is it Red Flags?
If you don't play hard every play this is on the coach. this was on JB and this is on Red. Id play the scrubs if they played harder... I think we would all respect that even if we lost by 60. It would send a message loud and clear. We need to recruit harder-working players that can play basketball.

He sat some guys down today, like Judah in the first half, and Bell as well when he failed to cover on a couple shooters.
Forget sitting them… how about setting a screen once in a while, or some implementing some motion beyond the weave?

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again… it feels like the coaches forgot to install a full strategy on an offense and defense. I’m glad they are playing man, but once they get past the initial defender or set a screen there is consistent plan. I’m seeing more motion on offense but it’s just a basic weave. Where are the back door cuts or the back screens to get someone open for a baseline 3 off of it?

I think this season is a wash… this team will be better than last years but not good enough to make the tournament unless the coaches figure out how to generate some offense with easy looks.

Turned the roster over how? It isn't not only easy, but is it actually doable? So, we run guys off and hope we land better fits? We did that with Joe G. how has that worked out so far?
I wouldn't have my career defined by Benny williams.copeland and Taylor...have to try this roster is bad...Audrey fails here his career has a head coach is over

Well… JJ scored a bit. 2 assists, though. Should have been 3, at least.
Brown and McLeod were efficient percentage wise. 2 boards by the 7’4” guy, though—seems difficult to do.

He keeps doing that thing where a shot goes up by a player he’s not defending, and McLeod sees the shot go up, but instead of tracking it, he turns away from both the ball and the rim and puts his focus on the guy he was defending. Who is nowhere near the rim and isn’t even moving toward it. Like he has been programmed to make sure his man doesn’t get the rebound. Which is not the same as getting a rebound yourself. 9/10 times, that guy isn’t even trying to get the board because he’s already too far away from the ball. McLeod just takes himself out of rebounding potential. Shocking that the coaches still haven’t addressed that. Which is dumb. If they do know about it and that’s the plan, it’s dumb to infinity.

Taylor doesn’t get open. And can’t shoot when he’s covered. VA’s plan was to stop Mintz and they did that brilliantly. Benny has no clue. Doesn’t even matter if he plays hard. He just doesn’t know how to play. And no one seems to be teaching him.

As others have said, I’d also like to see Mcleod and Brown playing together, since Benny is flaming out. The issue, though, is that someone from the Hima/Patterson contingent has to be able to spell McLeod because Brown won’t be able to as usual.

We still can’t set/make effective use of a pick.

On D, our switches too often leave us confused and exposed. It’s like they switch too quickly/early, because it’s the path of least resistance. VA had so much more lingering tenacity and discipline. We switch when it gets 2% too difficult.
Not just someone from the Hima/Patterson contingent-
if you know what I mean LOL!

Absolutely agree

There is a SERIOUS culture problem around the Syracuse basketball program. I thought getting a new coach would help but it has possibly become worse in the short term because Red doesn’t have the same clout with the players as JB did. Any team we play with a tough, cohesive mentality that plays together and with a purpose is going to pound what we’ve seen on the floor the last 10 years basically every time. We aren’t disciplined, we don’t play tough, we don’t play together, we seem like we lack a plan and a purpose on both ends of the floor, we don’t make plays down the stretch of close games, etc etc etc. Those things I mentioned are a sign of a positive culture around a program and we don’t have it in football or basketball and haven’t for a long time. I know it’s Red’s first year and we need to give him time, but the problem is JB held on for too long. Another crappy season or two where we can’t win a quad one game or make the big dance and this program is headed to complete irrelevance just like the football program.
yeah...somethings off.

Gerry looked pissed answering Red late in the game about something...

anyone else see that?

It should’ve happened by now, but Red needs to crack the whip, instill some discipline, and humble these guys. Bobby Knight their asses. None of them are as good as they think.

Judah’s defense was atrocious today. Going for steals and terrible switching killed us repeatedly.
better watch out or his relatives will come on here and call you ignorant.

100%

The schools that pay the most money for talent will win. I hear on this board that the school is competitive with NIL, but it will never be a top NIL destination and therefore will not be a top program in the future. And we’re washing away our history.

And, by the way, when people say things like NIL deals for Jesse, or Bethea, or Dickinson are wild and messing up the market — that is the market now. That is what it cost to be a top program, whether we find it absurd or not. Can’t just keep expressing shock at deals and shrug it off like that isn’t the market.
We just got boatraced by a team filled by sub 100 HS guys and you’re complaining about NIL SMH.

We just got boatraced by a team filled by sub 100 HS guys and you’re complaining about NIL SMH.
Exactly. We have two top 45 recruits in the back court. Look, right now, there is nothing we do well that is good. We don't shoot well. We don't handle the ball well. We don't rebound well. We have played 3 good team and been trucked by all three. We aren't well coached either. Red is trying to find his way. And his style may indeed work. But not with this team. He seems to sub to sub. No real reason to it. This is going to be a long fruitless season. I'm not even sure we are going to get better as the season goes on. We should. But we will see.

Starling plays worse man to man than anyone that athletic I’ve ever seen.

Benny and McCl are trying to rebound under the backboard

Bell hasn’t followed a shot ever

Taylor needs ten seconds to get his shot off

Mintz is at the point where I am expecting him to complain to the refs when fouls are called on him

10 total assists, led by Taylor with 3.
Guards were expected to be the strength of this team -not good.

And hoped that SU would be done allowing career highs to opposing role players...

I wouldn't have my career defined by Benny williams.copeland and Taylor...have to try this roster is bad...Audrey fails here his career has a head coach is over
What does that even mean? Are you saying he should have run them off and looked for something better? Okay. Who was willing to come here? It's not like we are a NCAA tournament team and looking for a player to put us over the top. Much better chance after this year to move on from those guys once you have been around the block. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three move on after this season. Before, I don't think there would have been a chance to do that at that time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom