Hopkins no to Boston College | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins no to Boston College

When he becomes Ray Meyer or Lou Carnesecca then we can discuss pushing him out, right now he is still running the program at an extremely high level and doing things like coaching the US Olympic time in his free time. Given the state of affairs he should pick his retirement date, it shouldn't be picked by a desire to keep Hop happy.

If, and when, JB hits the decline then talk about forcing him out, but until then he has earned the right to win games while playing the role of the crotchety old man.

Paterno is a bad comparison. The program was rolling along at a reasonably high level...things came off the wheels for an entirely different reason than JoePa's age or sudden inability to continue doing what he had always done.
A huge part of him "running the program at an extremely high level" is Hopkins. And why would we want to get to the point where we're having to push him out against his will?

If Hop leaves, how do we know our recruiting classes won't look similar to the Class of 2000 with James Thues and Greg Davis faxing their LOI's? I know, I know - Syracuse is a powerhouse and completely invincible. I tend to think that's a bit naive.

I hate to hear Hopkins is getting impatient but can't say that I blame him. But I hate to see JB leaves unless he really wants to.

Bottom line - I think the only way to resolve this is a steel cage match. JB vs Hop- Melo Center 1 pm Today. Winner gets to be coach!

orangenirvana said:
A huge part of him "running the program at an extremely high level" is Hopkins. And why would we want to get to the point where we're having to push him out against his will?

If Hop leaves, how do we know our recruiting classes won't look similar to the Class of 2000 with James Thues and Greg Davis faxing their LOI's? I know, I know - Syracuse is a powerhouse and completely invincible. I tend to think that's a bit naive.

I agree that there's no guarantee that things will remain the same if Hop goes, but unlike football we have advantages that should pick us up relatively quickly.

Though worst case scenario, I doubt a Carrier Dome that averages 12,000 a game would be much of a recruiting tool.

Feel bad for Hop to some extent. That "coach in waiting" tag has to feel like an albratross when it stops you from getting a job you want and when the guy you're waiting for won't retire.

JB doesnt make that much money compared to many others. Give Mike a substantial raise. Give him 1m a year and keep him and the program going full bore. It is nothing compared to the potential loss if the program begins to falter. Money well spent

If Hopkins is unhappy he needs to do what he should have done years ago and move on. I find it hard to believe that when the Syracuse job comes open Mike Hopkins would automatically not be interested in the job because he is happily coaching at a much less historic program. I also find it hard to believe Syracuse would be unable to replace the HC position with a major candidate. Boeheim should retire when he wants even if I am tired of many aspects of his coaching personally.

Per The Juice

What? Per the article,

(Editor’s Note: Before any of our readers say, “I can’t believe it,” please look at the calendar.)

JB to resume role as Golf coach.

It's weird, even though we were 25-0 to start the year, I didn't find this year all that exciting. Call it what you want (negative nancy, yada yada), but it seemed much more stressful than fun, lol. It also flew by..
i feel like a mid-major or gtown-esque program looking back on the season, with my enjoyment of the year be beating dook.

going to give myself a free pass becuase it was the 1st of many, it was brand new and college hoop has never seen a meeting of 2 gorilla's like that before. after this year it will just be another great game on the schedule instead of the game of the season.

because theres only 1 game of the season, and thats played on a monday in april.

Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanESPN13 mins
Ohio University's Jim Christian is a serious candidate at BC, multiple sources told ESPN. In fact, may be the frontrunner.

It's weird, even though we were 25-0 to start the year, I didn't find this year all that exciting. Call it what you want (negative nancy, yada yada), but it seemed much more stressful than fun, lol. It also flew by..

I thought this year was extremely exciting. Sure it ended poorly but it was a fantastic 5 months of college basketball all around.

I thought this year was extremely exciting. Sure it ended poorly but it was a fantastic 5 months of college basketball all around.

Admit it Marsh, your real excitement stems from the success of the UCONvicts and their FF run! :)

I also hope that an agreement was made so there is a mutually beneficial understanding between them on their futures. Tough situation for both men.

Precisely why so many family businesses struggle and/or fail. Even Sanford & Son had differences over how to run their business and what role Fred should play. Hopefully Boeheim and "Son" can work it out before Hop decides to carry on the family business in a different locale...

Just got a pop up message from my phone app The Score saying Hopkins is still a candidate for the BC job. It was siting Mike Waters as the source.

Let the fun begin...

I just dont get the obsession with Hop being our next coach. I would prefer we go outside the program. There are dozens of excellent coaches who would kill to come here. The Dome, the tradition, the prestige... these bring recruits in, not Hop. Yeah, the famous 2-3 zone might go bye-bye, but who cares. Times change. We will not skip a beat if Hop isnt the next coach.

I just dont get the obsession with Hop being our next coach. I would prefer we go outside the program. There are dozens of excellent coaches who would kill to come here. The Dome, the tradition, the prestige... these bring recruits in, not Hop. Yeah, the famous 2-3 zone might go bye-bye, but who cares. Times change. We will not skip a beat if Hop isnt the next coach.
To me it's not whether hop is the next coach, it's jb coaching without hop for the next 5-7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom