Hopkins no to Boston College | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins no to Boston College

I don't know why we are all happy if Hop loses out on jobs. He is one of us. He is an Orange. We should want the best for him first. Of course I want him to stay. But he played for us, he coached for us, and he deserves our good wishes and hope that he gets the best opportunities that are there for him, whether it is as our coach in waiting or another position. Can you tell me you do not wish the best for Louis Orr, Stevie Thompson, etc. etc. etc? I always root for our past players who now coach or are assistant coaches, unless we are playing against us. They are our family. I want what ever is best for my family. Not what is best for me. Of course I hope Hop stays. But if he stays it should be because he wants to.

I don't know why we are all happy if Hop loses out on jobs. He is one of us. He is an Orange. We should want the best for him first. Of course I want him to stay. But he played for us, he coached for us, and he deserves our good wishes and hope that he gets the best opportunities that are there for him, whether it is as our coach in waiting or another position. Can you tell me you do not wish the best for Louis Orr, Stevie Thompson, etc. etc. etc? I always root for our past players who now coach or are assistant coaches, unless we are playing against us. They are our family. I want what ever is best for my family. Not what is best for me. Of course I hope Hop stays. But if he stays it should be because he wants to.

We don't know what happened. Maybe he didn't lose out on the job. He had previously stated that it would have to be a perfect storm situation for him to leave Syracuse. Maybe BC didn't fit that description.

This just dodges another bullet. JB isn't stepping down any time soon and that is his right. If Hop is frustrated and wants to be a HC he will keep interviewing for jobs and this scenario will just continue until he finally lands somewhere. So I don't think this is a good situation. If JB and the university gave Hop a time frame and a financial incentive to stop interviewing and bide his time that would be great. Otherwise this just continues as other jobs open this year or next.

Something happened today with BC. Hopkins will not be the new head coach.

Hopkins has had it with Boeheim postponing promised retirement. By guess he's staying at this point.
Look, JB owes no one, including Hop, a retirement date.

If Hop wants the SU job, he merely has to wait. If his desire to be a head coach immediately takes precedence and he chooses to leave SU before JB leaves, all bets are off as to his future at SU.

It's all up to Hop, and what he truly values.

I hope I'm not being a downer and am wrong but as much as I look forward to see how Hop does with the team, why do I get the feeling that people here are seeing him the same way as they see some (all?) of the SU recruits. They will contribute mightily to SU making the FF and a NC only to sit on the bench and not achieve the greatness predicted of them. Hop talks the talk on TV discussing games but the only proof will be in the when he has control.

If Hop wants the SU job, he merely has to wait. If his desire to be a head coach immediately takes precedence and he chooses to leave SU before JB leaves, all bets are off as to his future at SU.

At this point, I kinda hope for Hop to get a job elsewhere. If this whole "will he? won't he?" thing continues for years to come, things will get ugly (if they haven't already). Not only will Hop have to stand in the shadow of a guy with lots of wins and a NC but will probably have some portion of the fanbase believing that he pushed Boeheim out. Not a good way to start a job.

His frustration is completely understandable. No one gets in this business to remain an assistant coach. The assurances from the AD and Boeheim that he's his handpicked successor heighten those frustrations when it's nearly a decade later and still no sign of retirement. He's lost years and income as a coach-in-waiting, turning down less than perfect jobs with an eye towards running his alma mater's program. Now the window of opportunity is slowly closing and he's heading towards Fine/Guthridge territory. He's not there yet but can see them in the distance.

If I were Hop, I'd take the first halfway decent job offered and go.

If I were Hop, I'd take the first halfway decent job offered and go.

This is extremely risky. This would be the equivalent of one of us leaving a cushy job at a fortune 500 company where we know everyone, get paid relatively well, don't have to take the brunt of company errors, and are promised the CEO position in a few years for a CEO position at sub-par to meddling company.

Not sure I would jump at such an opportunity and risk the good thing that I have going.

How much time have you spent looking at Hop on the bench? And why would you do that? I have seen Hop like after the Duke game at the Dome. Looked plenty happy to me.

Everytime he's shown on TV. Every. Time.

It's been like this all year, even during 25-0. I've noticed it every game.

And of course he was happy after the Duke game, come on man. Like that tells us anything.

And of course he was happy after the Duke game, come on man. Like that tells us anything.[/quote
Should Hop take a restraining order out against you? Hop is fine.

And of course he was happy after the Duke game, come on man. Like that tells us anything.
Every time I've heard Hop speak on TV or radio this season, his passion for the SU program has been off the charts. Same as it ever was.

No one is saying JB owes anyone anything. The discussion is...what is best for Syracuse Basketball? I think it's interesting.

Every time I've heard Hop speak on TV or radio this season, his passion for the SU program has been off the charts. Same as it ever was.

Everyone seems to be in denial. Whatever, that's fine. But from all the little things I've seen, he wants to be a head coach and he's sick of waiting.

If you think about it, it's perfectly normal and natural. Any ambitious person would feel this way after years of waiting.

Really don't want to get into a pissing contest about this but considering that SMU's last trip to the NCAA tournament was '93 and the NIT in 2000, making the NIT this year has to be considered successful.

That isn't Syracuse's definition of success.

JB needs to hang it up after next season. Announce it already.

Trueblue25 said:

Why?

Before the Bernie Fine debacle, I seem to remember Bernie saying he deeply regretted that he stayed as an assistant coach for so long; that it cost him the opportunity to be a head coach himself. I wonder if those words are ringing in Hops ears. I would imagine he wants to be a head coach and is concerned time might pass him by while he waits.

Before the Bernie Fine debacle, I seem to remember Bernie saying he deeply regretted that he stayed as an assistant coach for so long; that it cost him the opportunity to be a head coach himself. I wonder if those words are ringing in Hops ears. I would imagine he wants to be a head coach and is concerned time might pass him by while he waits.
B.S. No one wanted Fine as their head coach.

Why does JB need to hang it up after next year? Being frustrated with the finish this year is one thing, but that is really a foolish statement. JB needs to retire when he feels it is the right time. Not a moment before. People forget we have won about 140 games over the last 5 years. That is terrific. Yeah, only one final four but we have a tough injury to AO and Fab being a poor student to thank for that. I hope JB stays another 10 years. I like winning games.

Hop is unlikely to get a HC job at a BCS school. Those schools almost always want successful head coaching experience. There are some exceptions...but not many. His most likely destination would be to land a spot in a next tier conference like the A-10, AAC, or NBE. At this point IMO Hop is better off waiting for the SU job (a top 10 job) than to go to a place like Richmond, St. Bonnie, USF, UCF, DePaul,etc. In all likelihood the wait won't be more than 2-5 years.

If Hop sat on the bench pouting all season because he wasn't the head coach, then I don't want him as our head coach. But this isn't what happened... Because Hop isn't a 5 year old

Why does JB need to hang it up after next year? Being frustrated with the finish this year is one thing, but that is really a foolish statement. JB needs to retire when he feels it is the right time. Not a moment before. People forget we have won about 140 games over the last 5 years. That is terrific. Yeah, only one final four but we have a tough injury to AO and Fab being a poor student to thank for that. I hope JB stays another 10 years. I like winning games.
I don't necessarily disagree with this line of thinking but our opinion should be based on what is best for the long-term health of the SU basketball program. Not what is best for Jim Boeheim.

If JB truly thinks that him sticking around for one season at a time for the next however many years and unintentionally leaving Hopkins out to dry is what is best for the program then I wonder if he thinks Hopkins is truly capable of keeping the program at the level that it is when he does decide to retire.

Things are going very well now but I really don't want us to reach the point where we're begging Boeheim to get out. That's not good for anyone.

Why?
agreed JB can step down when he wants. We are nothing without him. The perfect solution is to pay Mike a very good amount to be the coach in waiting. Lets say 750k to 1m a year so that he stays. Keeping him is very important and im sure JB realizes that more than any of us. For Mike to leave i truly think it has to be a situation replaces Syracuse. Good programs want to hire a coach for the long haul not for 3 years. If Mike does leave i truly dont see him coming back. My sense on JB is two more years but it is just a guess 3 years at most. For Mike to get paid well for the next 2-3 years knowing that he is going to be the coach at SU for possibly the next 20 is a good trade off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom