Hopkins no to Boston College | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins no to Boston College

It's nonsense. Hop has a job right now because of jb. Hop is coach in waiting because of jb. Now, Jb has also been self serving in his relationship with Hop. Leaking that he may retire at any time when the P.C. job came open and they were thinking of Hop.
I thought the weirdest comment JB ever made was after USC passed on hop. Exactly the opposite of self serving

OrangeXtreme said:
Just a wild guess... maybe Hop wanted an "out clause" in the contract which would allow him to leave BC for SU when the time came, but BC wouldn't agree?

Would not be surprised if that was a hang up.

Hopkins hasn't looked very happy on the bench all year. He's also been interviewing for jobs the last 2 years. I don't see why it's hard to believe that Hopkins is getting frustrated with the wait.

samspann1 said:
Glad that he's apparently staying, but the annual "Will Hopkins go to [insert mediocre D1 program here]?" drama is getting old.

It won't stop as schools pursue him and he should always at least listen like anyone would in a professional position. Especially when there would be a significant increase in pay.

Hopkins hasn't looked very happy on the bench all year. He's also been interviewing for jobs the last 2 years. I don't see why it's hard to believe that Hopkins is getting frustrated with the wait.
Really? I don't get that vibe at all?

It's nonsense. Hop has a job right now because of jb. Hop is coach in waiting because of jb. Now, Jb has also been self serving in his relationship with Hop. Leaking that he may retire at any time when the P.C. job came open and they were thinking of Hop.

You don't hire an agent to keep the job you already have.

The agent doesn't earn a fee until you sign a new contract.

How much time have you spent looking at Hop on the bench? And why would you do that? I have seen Hop like after the Duke game at the Dome. Looked plenty happy to me.

Something happened today with BC. Hopkins will not be the new head coach.

Hopkins has had it with Boeheim postponing promised retirement. By guess he's staying at this point.
Source? As far as I am concerned this is just idle and pernicious speculation based on nothing more than an interview with the Bonnie coach.

Last edited:
Source? As far as I am concerned this is just idle and pernicious speculation based on nothing more than an interview with the Bonnie coach.
Why do you think that?

As I have said before in a previous thread. Hop is no spring chicken relative to starting an HC position. He looks around and sees all the young(er) HCs out there and yet he sits behind a HC who, at this time, shows no interest in retiring. At this point in his career he needs to make some name for himself as a HC... somewhere; at some D1 school with possibilities and in a power conference. I think the money would be secondary. I also think he would love to go back to California. If all the threads tied together ... Hop is gone and God Bless Him because he deserves more than to sit on the bench behind a HC that probably wont retire for the next 10 years.

Of course you do, if you have outside income from commercials, media hits, camps, ....., all of which he does. And you do if you are trying to leverage outside interest to improve your current position.

Probably didn't look happy because he was watching us clank shots every game in the most predictable way possible.

Certainly don't like it the way Gilardino said it. It's Hop's when JB decides to hang it up, if he cares to wait...but not a moment before.
That worked well for Paterno. Or Woody Hayes. Or Bobby Bowden. Not saying JB is anywhere near that point, but it is not, and cannot, be solely his decision on when he retires. While he IS Syracuse basketball, at the same time Syracuse basketball is bigger than him.

That worked well for Paterno. Or Woody Hayes. Or Bobby Bowden. Not saying JB is anywhere near that point, but it is not, and cannot, be solely his decision on when he retires. While he IS Syracuse basketball, at the same time Syracuse basketball is bigger than him.

When he becomes Ray Meyer or Lou Carnesecca then we can discuss pushing him out, right now he is still running the program at an extremely high level and doing things like coaching the US Olympic time in his free time. Given the state of affairs he should pick his retirement date, it shouldn't be picked by a desire to keep Hop happy.

If, and when, JB hits the decline then talk about forcing him out, but until then he has earned the right to win games while playing the role of the crotchety old man.

Paterno is a bad comparison. The program was rolling along at a reasonably high level....things came off the wheels for an entirely different reason than JoePa's age or sudden inability to continue doing what he had always done.

When he becomes Ray Meyer or Lou Carnesecca then we can discuss pushing him out, right now he is still running the program at an extremely high level and doing things like coaching the US Olympic time in his free time. Given the state of affairs he should pick his retirement date, it shouldn't be picked by a desire to keep Hop happy.

If, and when, JB hits the decline then talk about forcing him out, but until then he has earned the right to win games while playing the role of the crotchety old man.

Paterno is a bad comparison. The program was rolling along at a reasonably high level...things came off the wheels for an entirely different reason than JoePa's age or sudden inability to continue doing what he had always done.
While you may be right about the comparison, there are many Penn State people who were "encouraging" Paterno to retire several years before everything crashed.

A tape of me watching the last 10 games of the season would also not show a happy man. More like an extremely unbalanced individual.

It's weird, even though we were 25-0 to start the year, I didn't find this year all that exciting. Call it what you want (negative nancy, yada yada), but it seemed much more stressful than fun, lol. It also flew by..

Paterno is a bad comparison. The program was rolling along at a reasonably high level...things came off the wheels for an entirely different reason than JoePa's age or sudden inability to continue doing what he had always done.
In 1995 paterno was the same age jb is now. He coached 16 seasons after that with one top 5 finish. In the 16 seasons before that they had 6 top 5 seasons and won two nc's. I would also argue it is easier to be a 'figure head' in football where you have a million coaches, assts can call the plays, etc. again - not saying jb is there yet, but if you can name one college hoops coach that was effective after age 70 I would be surprised.

Or

Or he handles your endorsement, tv and coaching contracts.

It won't stop as schools pursue him and he should always at least listen like anyone would in a professional position. Especially when there would be a significant increase in pay.
I know I'm in the minority and it's risky but I would rather see Boeheim retire and Hop take over now than lose Hopkins.

My reasoning: Boeheim has said he's not going to leave when things are going well. Which means he won't leave until the program has fallen. Why would we want to see that happen? One could argue that Boeheim should go out like Seinfeld - on top. Doing so would keep his loyalty to Hop. Loyalty is something he has valued more than anything over the years, yet it seems like Hop is getting the short end of the stick there. I could be wrong but that's my perception.

JB is going to turn 70 years old in November. He's been head coach of SU since before some of his players' fathers were born. He's seen everything and has accomplished everything. Syracuse is going into a 2014-15 season that many will expect to be a down year considering what they're losing. What does he have left to prove?

Is it worth spurning such a valuable and loyal asset to the program for a few more seasons before the inevitable fall which will at that point leave the program scrambling?

As I have said before in a previous thread. Hop is no spring chicken relative to starting an HC position. He looks around and sees all the young(er) HCs out there and yet he sits behind a HC who, at this time, shows no interest in retiring. At this point in his career he needs to make some name for himself as a HC... somewhere; at some D1 school with possibilities and in a power conference. I think the money would be secondary. I also think he would love to go back to California. If all the threads tied together ... Hop is gone and God Bless Him because he deserves more than to sit on the bench behind a HC that probably wont retire for the next 10 years.
Its a tough call. His wife is a local girl, I believe. Kids are entrenched here. Family has business interests here. He makes good money. He is well regarded in his profession. He's been in the Olympics due to JB.

JB came out and said in an interview this season that it would be "better to quit one year too late than to leave too soon". He also said in that interview that he expects to continue coaching "for a long time". Those words could not have been music to Mike's ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom