Hopkins no to Boston College | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins no to Boston College

Pure conjecture on my part: how do we know BC didn't think "he is Syracuse through and through - no matter what we offer - if that job opens up, he leaves us even with a contract buyout."

His passion for Syracuse should keep some schools away - especially small-time basketball schools in the same conference.

Why does JB need to hang it up after next year? Being frustrated with the finish this year is one thing, but that is really a foolish statement. JB needs to retire when he feels it is the right time. Not a moment before. People forget we have won about 140 games over the last 5 years. That is terrific. Yeah, only one final four but we have a tough injury to AO and Fab being a poor student to thank for that. I hope JB stays another 10 years. I like winning games.
Give me long term success instead of 3 or 4 more seasons of 30 wins and no champs.

Pure conjecture on my part: how do we know BC didn't think "he is Syracuse through and through - no matter what we offer - if that job opens up, he leaves us even with a contract buyout."

His passion for Syracuse should keep some schools away - especially small-time basketball schools in the same conference.
If they thought that, why bring him in in the first place?

Trueblue25 said:
Give me long term success instead of 3 or 4 more seasons of 30 wins and no champs.

Define long term success and what assures we get that.

K will bend the rules, or Jim will not join him. I dont think he cares that much about the Olympic anymore. This all being said, I hope he stays 5 more years since I dont think Hop is our best option to replace him.

And that's based on what?

What makes you so sure that Hopkins will have long term success and that JB can't win a championship in the next 3 or 4 years? Is this an April Fools Day post?

That isn't Syracuse's definition of success.

It would be if we had gone over 20 years without making the tournament. My comment was in response to the poster who asked us to name one successful coach over the age of 70. If resurrecting a program from a dumpster isn't a success, I don't know what is.

Define long term success and what assures we get that.

The maintaining and securing of our recruiting and people already brought up to continue and build upon the success that Boeheim has already brought the program. (Coaches that may leave in the future before Boeheim's retirement).

Went to the Final Four less than a calendar year ago.

People have short memories.

Syracuse under Boeheim is not this elite power everyone is so convinced we are. Yes we went to a final 4 last year but it was our first since 2003.

The same people who champion Boeheim on this forum sometimes preach Uconn as a "mid major". Pfft.

How many final 4s has Uconn been to since 1996 in the time that we've gone to 3?

Boeheim's been wonderful at getting us 20 to 30 win seasons, consistent deep runs in the tournament is another thing.

Edit: Boeheim's an all time great, but it just makes sense to hand the reigns over to Hop sooner than later to, as well as we can, assure the future of the program.

I mean I don't see Jay Wright or a better option than Hop coming towards us anytime soon.

Last edited:
Syracuse under Boeheim is not this elite power everyone is so convinced we are. Yes we went to a final 4 last year but it was our first since 2003.

The same people who champion Boeheim on this forum sometimes preach Uconn as a "mid major". Pfft.

How many final 4s has Uconn been to since 1996 in the time that we've gone to 3?

Boeheim's been wonderful at getting us 20 to 30 win seasons, consistent deep runs in the tournament is another thing.

Edit: Boeheim's an all time great, but it just makes sense to hand the reigns over to Hop sooner than later to, as well as we can, assure the future of the program.

I mean I don't see Jay Wright or a better option than Hop coming towards us anytime soon.

I do not agree with much of what you post here. However, I do agree that some people on this board greatly exaggerate SU's position on the power programs list.

History is nice (5th on all-time wins list), but hardware is nicer.

Last edited:

If we offered Jay Wright the job here, he would sign on the dotted line before we even finished our pitch. He would be THE perfect fit here.

It would be if we had gone over 20 years without making the tournament. My comment was in response to the poster who asked us to name one successful coach over the age of 70. If resurrecting a program from a dumpster isn't a success, I don't know what is.
I will give you that Brown did a terrific job this year. And most likely there are some other examples of coaches in their 70's having good seasons. Hubie Brown I believe had one in the NBA at 72. But...I would make a distinction between being able to coach up a team that was terrible to make the NIT in a single season from sustaining success as a top ten program. As I said previously, I'm not saying JB can't do it. I'm just pointing out that it has never been done and that losing his Hop would make it much much harder.

Yeah, if only this program could have some long-term success...

Good thing JB has Benjamin button syndrome right?

Trueblue25 said:
Syracuse under Boeheim is not this elite power everyone is so convinced we are. Yes we went to a final 4 last year but it was our first since 2003. The same people who champion Boeheim on this forum sometimes preach Uconn as a "mid major". Pfft. How many final 4s has Uconn been to since 1996 in the time that we've gone to 3? Boeheim's been wonderful at getting us 20 to 30 win seasons, consistent deep runs in the tournament is another thing. Edit: Boeheim's an all time great, but it just makes sense to hand the reigns over to Hop sooner than later to, as well as we can, assure the future of the program. I mean I don't see Jay Wright or a better option than Hop coming towards us anytime soon.
This and your prior posts were all time bad. Congrats on setting the bar high! Let's assure the future of the program by forcing out then only consistently successful thing te program has ever had! Bravo!

Maybe you could step away from the board for a time and get some actual perspective. Maybe. :noidea:

I'm not settling for present long term success and disregarding future long term success.

I'm not settling for present long term success and disregarding future long term success.

The problem is that you think the only way Syracuse has long term success is through Mike Hopkins as head coach.

Good thing JB has Benjamin button syndrome right?
you were asked what you defined as long term success and you haven't responded. Please define it for us.

The problem is that you think the only way Syracuse has long term success is through Mike Hopkins as head coach.

No, but I believe it's easier.

Glad that he's apparently staying, but the annual "Will Hopkins go to [insert mediocre D1 program here]?" drama is getting old.

It's kinda like being a Packers fan the last 3 years of Favre's career.

you were asked what you defined as long term success and you haven't responded. Please define it for us.
Long term success banks on:
-Continued excellence in recruiting.
-Excellent facilities (check).
-A capable coach who JB, the players and the fans trust.
-Always being a threat in March.
-Eventually, always being a threat for the final four and championship (not something we are yet).

Basically the ability to not fall apart for a decade after JB leaves. Which right now, I think we have with the supporting coach staff.

JB is a great leader and coach. He's put the program where it is. There are still things to improve on, Syracuse is not a perfect product. JB is not immortal.

Obviously I'm not saying he should be pushed to retirement, but I think the program is better off in the long term if he retires sooner than later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom