Hopkins no to Boston College | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins no to Boston College

In 1995 paterno was the same age jb is now. He coached 16 seasons after that with one top 5 finish. In the 16 seasons before that they had 6 top 5 seasons and won two nc's. I would also argue it is easier to be a 'figure head' in football where you have a million coaches, assts can call the plays, etc. again - not saying jb is there yet, but if you can name one college hoops coach that was effective after age 70 I would be surprised.

Steve Fisher is the same age as Jim Boeheim and he doesn't show any signs of losing his effectiveness. Jim Calhoun is 2 and a half years older than Jim Boeheim and health issues, not a lack of effectiveness caused his retirement. He won a NC a month before he turned 69 and retired 5 months later after surgery for a fractured hip during the summer.

To me it's not whether hop is the next coach, it's jb coaching without hop for the next 5-7 years.

Hopkins is 43 (44?) now...I really can't imagine that he'd hold on for 5-7 more years as an assistant. First head coaching job at 48-51? I can see him holding out until after the '15-16 season (Olympics), but 5-7 more years? No way.

i still believe that this is Jim's last year. Just staying because he promised McCollough.

Steve Fisher is the same age as Jim Boeheim and he doesn't show any signs of losing his effectiveness. Jim Calhoun is 2 and a half years older than Jim Boeheim and health issues, not a lack of effectiveness caused his retirement. He won a NC a month before he turned 69 and retired 5 months later after surgery for a fractured hip during the summer.

You are absolutely right Cherie and let me add that Larry Brown, who will turn 74 in September, seems to have done rather well in rejuvenating the SMU program.
I believe BostonOrange asked for one coach over the age of 70 so we have met his criteria.

i still believe that this is Jim's last year. Just staying because he promised McCollough.

So you don't believe he will be coaching the 2016 Olympic team? K said he wanted all active coaches on that staff.

I agree and have said 2 years as well. 1000 wins and 40 years as head coach
agree, but ill tell ya...we better witness a nice 28 or so win season this year. or there will be a shitload of pressure (gonna be regardless) on 15-16 to get to 1k.

and what happens if hes at 998 or 999????

bobby knight scenario??

So you don't believe he will be coaching the 2016 Olympic team? K said he wanted all active coaches on that staff.

K will bend the rules, or Jim will not join him. I dont think he cares that much about the Olympic anymore. This all being said, I hope he stays 5 more years since I dont think Hop is our best option to replace him.

agree, but ill tell ya...we better witness a nice 28 or so win season this year. or there will be a shitload of pressure (gonna be regardless) on 15-16 to get to 1k.

bobby knight scenario??

Yea I thought of that as well. Would hate to see it be a Eddie Sutton thing where he comes back just to get the number and then leaves. ( I know Sutton was different but you know what I mean)

You are absolutely right Cherie and let me add that Larry Brown, who will turn 74 in September, seems to have done rather well in rejuvenating the SMU program.
I believe BostonOrange asked for one coach over the age of 70 so we have met his criteria.
Brown did a good job but not sure a nit berth is really parade worthy. Fisher is doing an excellent job but he is younger than jb. No coach over 70 has ever been to a final four. Fact, not opinion. I'm not saying jb can't do it, but it has never been done. And to do it without his top recruiter, guy who often runs practice? It just makes it much tougher

The bottom of that article says to look at your calendar. i.e. It's an April fools joke.
the young & naive have inherited the board like a disease and its spreading at epidemic proportions.

hell, we got a post from a guy admitting to being 10-11 when Melo was at Cuse, declaring that he was the best college player he ever saw...getting traction now.

its time to close up shop here on the hoop board and ill see you kids in november.

got to leave the kids alone, see what happens...

kidssuck.png

but we know how this ends.

do it CTO....

carolshootinglizzie.png

Brown did a good job but not sure a nit berth is really parade worthy. Fisher is doing an excellent job but he is younger than jb. No coach over 70 has ever been to a final four. Fact, not opinion. I'm not saying jb can't do it, but it has never been done. And to do it without his top recruiter, guy who often runs practice? It just makes it much tougher

Really don't want to get into a pissing contest about this but considering that SMU's last trip to the NCAA tournament was '93 and the NIT in 2000, making the NIT this year has to be considered successful.

bobby knight scenario??

Obviously JB will coach the first 1-2 games of the next season, then will surprise everyone at the post-game presser when Andy Katz asks him if he's retiring.

So who will take the BC job? I mean, Syracuse plays them 2x every year so this kind of affects us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom