Horse Racing | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Horse Racing

yeah but they also want 3-4 weeks notice to do so. They need to decide on a june race pretty soon. There are preps over the next few weeks and some isnt gonna be happy if they ran a race 6th and then find out the Belmont is June 20th/27th.
If they've kept their horses in training, they will adjust, or they can just pass on the Belmont. Lots of big races to point for, and most of them don't try to run in all of them anyway.

But the grind is what stopped many of them after the derby 2/3 weeks inbetween is gone now

But the grind is what stopped many of them after the derby 2/3 weeks inbetween is gone now
Most of the best horses in this era only race a handful of times each year anyway. What stops most of the top 3yos on the Triple Crown trail is their performance or injury. Trainers will just have to decide which races to focus most on. The Derby may or may not be the jewel they are all chasing this year. Time will tell.

I had a W/P/S bet on a 66/1 shot today.

Horse lost the win by a neck after leading entering the stretch. :/

Still won just ~100 bucks but man that could have been, a massive score by my standards...

I could see the Belmont run on July 4th. Racing will start at Belmont first week in June and I would imagine the condition book for the month of June or at least the first three weeks will be out in the next couple of days

That said, I still think that the Belmont will be run sometime between late June to Mid July. Giving horses enough time to prep for the Travers as well, ( Wherever that is run)

You may not see the Baffert contingent but knowing that Tiz the Law is a NY bred horse with a NY group that owns him he will almost certainly run the Belmont.

would like to think someone thinks they can win the belmont and recover and win the derby as the horses keep getting better

would like to think someone thinks they can win the belmont and recover and win the derby as the horses keep getting better

Agreed. The decision and nobody knows the dates of Belmont and Travers but running the Travers and the Derby probably won't happen. That said could they run Belmont towards end of June/ Travers end of July or first weekend in August and then derby and Preak. Not sure about the Haskell but they could space out the three triple crown races and travers. Will be interesting and who knows if they even run at Saratoga at all

It ain’t the Belmont at 1 1/8

Will be a fun stakes race but we’ll see how many of the big guns we will see

Baffert won’t show at the classic distance.

I wonder what criteria the Belmont used for entries now.. usually there are only so many that want to try.. you may end up with some really good horses not getting in now that could be solid Derby horses by Sept..

The Belmont Meet info makes it seem like Saratoga is happening now.
It does but it makes no sense financially to move the racing up here with no fans unless NYRA feels that the name alone will attract more betting. I might be one of many vying for a look outside the gate at the top of the stretch.

it might just be a small bone to the community, people will have to eat and spend a bit of money up there. The money people will still rent rooms/houses. my first non Saratoga summer in 50 yrs it looks like

What’s the rationale for that?

I will start by saying that 2020 is so screwed up I am glad they are running. I think with NY racing being closed for almost 3 months I think they were up against it. The Derby is now on Labor day which is 1-1/4. Usually with 20 horses running the first Saturday in May most trainers/ owners get a good look at their horses distance limitation well before the Belmont in one way or another. You hear all the rumors about what horse can run all day etc and the Derby finisher that comes closing at the end and sucks up for 3rd or 4th is always the Belmont " wise guy" horse, which is really just folklore. Last year it was Tacitus who ran well but horse continues to get over bet but never wins.

I think they cut the distance because many of the NY horses who did not run the wood memorial will be coming off a bit of a layoff. In addition with the order flipped of the triple crown it presents even more of a challenge. With 20 in the derby at 1.25 miles in May there is always 5-6 that won't get the distance and trainers can see this basically eliminating them from running the Belmont. Now another 6-7 will go onto the Preakness and won't run the Belmont. That always leave a quirky field for the Belmont as always which I love. The 1.5 mile dirt race is so rare these days, it's almost obsolete. I just love the race as is and Belmont being a 1.5 mile dirt track it's great that once a year they do run this race. It's tradition and I don't think they change it permanently by any means. I also think that they wanted to run the Belmont and maybe move the Travers up 3-4 weeks because of the timing of the derby.

All that said, the conspiracy theory out there is that Baffert was very clear that he would not run any of his 3-4 horses at the 1.5 mile Belmont distance this year because of the schedule that has been laid out. So many will say they catered to him as well, would not be the first time nor the last but who knows.

Funny think about the Belmont, it has become such a quirky race because of the distance other than the two triple crown winners over the past 10 years the winners haven't done a ton on the track after that.

It's no secret that distance of the Belmont is becoming more of an issue within the industry every year. Some will blame it on breeding practices, fragile horses, the 5 week triple crown schedule etc but who knows. Me personally I love the longer races dirt or turf.

2020 is what it is and every sport is making adjustments and horse racing is no exception. I have no issue with it but the Belmont stakes is a 1.5 mile race. This version will just be different

Last edited:
The Travers could be awesome this year with the new schedule and a Sackatoga entry. Of course Pretyy Baffert hates Toga but that would still be a great day - IF of course fans could go

The Belmont will be a KY Derby point race as well which is interesting. Taking the point from the Wood Memorial and applying them them here

I will start by saying that 2020 is so screwed up I am glad they are running. I think with NY racing being closed for almost 3 months I think they were up against it. The Derby is now on Labor day which is 1-1/4. Usually with 20 horses running the first Saturday in May most trainers/ owners get a good look at their horses distance limitation well before the Belmont in one way or another. You hear all the rumors about what horse can run all day etc and the Derby finisher that comes closing at the end and sucks up for 3rd or 4th is always the Belmont " wise guy" horse, which is really just folklore. Last year it was Tacitus who ran well but horse continues to get over bet but never wins.

I think they cut the distance because many of the NY horses who did not run the wood memorial will be coming off a bit of a layoff. In addition with the order flipped of the triple crown it presents even more of a challenge. With 20 in the derby at 1.25 miles in May there is always 5-6 that won't get the distance and trainers can see this basically eliminating them from running the Belmont. Now another 6-7 will go onto the Preakness and won't run the Belmont. That always leave a quirky field for the Belmont as always which I love. The 1.5 mile dirt race is so rare these days, it's almost obsolete. I just love the race as is and Belmont being a 1.5 mile dirt track it's great that once a year they do run this race. It's tradition and I don't think they change it permanently by any means. I also think that they wanted to run the Belmont and maybe move the Travers up 3-4 weeks because of the timing of the derby.

All that said, the conspiracy theory out there is that Baffert was very clear that he would not run any of his 3-4 horses at the 1.5 mile Belmont distance this year because of the schedule that has been laid out. So many will say they catered to him as well, would not be the first time nor the last but who knows.

Funny think about the Belmont, it has become such a quirky race because of the distance other than the two triple crown winners over the past 10 years the winners haven't done a ton on the track after that.

It's no secret that distance of the Belmont is becoming more of an issue within the industry every year. Some will blame it on breeding practices, fragile horses, the 5 week triple crown schedule etc but who knows. Me personally I love the longer races dirt or turf.

2020 is what it is and every sport is making adjustments and horse racing is no exception. I have no issue with it but the Belmont stakes is a 1.5 mile race. This version will just be different
As long as they don’t wipe the 2:24 flat, it’s ok I guess.

I still think it’s crazy for NYRA to pack it all up and head North.

it might be smarter to only do Saratoga.

Have no races maybe mon-wed or have a 6 or 7 race card to cut down on things.

Saratoga County has 370 cases and 13 deaths, that’s lower than my neighborhood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom