Horse Racing | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Horse Racing

Imagine of one of his big 3 runs 2 of the 3 and wins it and he skips the belmont.. maybe the Belmont should look at being shorter this year? I sitll think they need to spread out the 3 races a bit more. 1 more week between each would help keep the best horses running and not skipping the preakness

Yeah Baffert will probably convince somebody to split the Belmont into two races at 1-1/8 M distance and have it run at Santa Anita. The stuff he gets away with is crazy, he truly is teflon

I see absolutely no way Tiz the Law would beat them in they are both in the race. Baffert is super sneaky with double/triple entries

I see absolutely no way Tiz the Law would beat them in they are both in the race. Baffert is super sneaky with double/triple entries

In addition, I think Authentic and Charlatan are not only both trained by Bob Baffert but same ownership group as well which really he could do anything there as well. Much like his rabbit in the Justify Belmont race. For all we know he has another 3 year old that hasn't even started yet.

I also think that there will be another couple nice 3 year olds that become contenders as they will continue to progress. I still like Tiz the Law

Last edited:
Almost certain some 3rd yr old that wasnt ready on may2 that will be a surprise on sept 5th , the big question is can it qualify for the race.. it will be interesting to see what races become prep race for pts.

Almost certain some 3rd yr old that wasnt ready on may2 that will be a surprise on sept 5th , the big question is can it qualify for the race.. it will be interesting to see what races become prep race for pts.

For sure, I see Churchill has one with points available in June, I am sure Belmont will add at least 1 as well as they never ran the Wood nor did Keeneland run the Bluegrass

There's BIG red and everyone else. I watched a race he won at Woodbine on the grass was unreal. Once in a lifetime equine athlete. His cruising speed was just unreal

Great quarantine read on Big Red attached...

Pure Heart

and now speculation the belmont runs mid summer at a shorter distance. then the question of does saratoga run and if they do the travers pushes into the middle as one of the last derby pt races.. Or does NYRA stay in the city and move the Belmont to mid/late july. 4 weeks between the big 3 would be ideal..

Rumor is Belmont will open on 5/29 for racing obviously no fans. I hate to see the Belmont run at any distance other that 1-1/2 miles ever. Other than the triple crown winners the last 10 years the Belmont has not been won by 3 year olds that have gone onto great success after. It's a quirky race these days and so few races on dirt are ever run over 1-1/8 miles these days. You see longer turf races but very few on the dirt and the breeding follows this pattern as well.

i cant wait until I can go to Monmouth Park again. Ive become a much bigger racing fan throughout this.

My Dad briefly owned a horse at Rockingham Park when I was a kid, and my grandparents were box owners at Suffolk Downs, so had TONS of exposure and became a fan as a kid. I sort of faded from the sport in my 20s and 30s but have gained a new appreciation for it

No offense to Will Rogers and Swedish trotters.
One night last week i watched quarter horse racing for about 5 races. I realized i couldn't bet them on the nyra app but it was interesting listening and learning. I added ruidoso downs onto my bucket list.

One night last week i watched quarter horse racing for about 5 races. I realized i couldn't bet them on the nyra app but it was interesting listening and learning. I added ruidoso downs onto my bucket list.

Did you see the one quarter horse who was a 2 year old filly that won a race or two by like 5 lengths which was absolutely ridiculous for a 350 yard race. I think it was either friday or saturday. It was insane.

I can bet thoroughbred or harness but can't do it with quarters. Cut my teeth as a kid at Vernon Downs. drank lot of Matt's beer betting the horses at Vernon

Somewhat surprised a northern track would move all the way to Oct. I'd have shot for August first and then move again if needed

I think they are hoping for people in the stands and August probably not a shot at that.. Tracks can run all yr if they want, horses dont care. Now they question is what does the Belmont do. If they go ahead of the Derby good chance several Derby horse dont run.. If they go into late Oct maybe halloween? that gives 4 weeks and it was likely none of these 3 yds would would have shot for Breeders cup anyway now with the schedule.

I think they are hoping for people in the stands and August probably not a shot at that.. Tracks can run all yr if they want, horses dont care. Now they question is what does the Belmont do. If they go ahead of the Derby good chance several Derby horse dont run.. If they go into late Oct maybe halloween? that gives 4 weeks and it was likely none of these 3 yds would would have shot for Breeders cup anyway now with the schedule.
NYRA is looking to run the Belmont in late June at a shorter distance.

If they do that, they could possibly move the Travers to late July or early August, with the KY Derby now scheduled for Labor Day and the Preakness now scheduled for a October.

Last edited:
Really though they have to get that date set soon.. There are a dozen Derby prep races out now and these guys need to aim their horses for a race in June are pretty much stuck if a June race happens with a 6-8 week gap or longer. Tiz the law ran in March. If you ran the last week of June thats only 1-2 weeks to run a prep race for it.

Really though they have to get that date set soon.. There are a dozen Derby prep races out now and these guys need to aim their horses for a race in June are pretty much stuck if a June race happens with a 6-8 week gap or longer. Tiz the law ran in March. If you ran the last week of June thats only 1-2 weeks to run a prep race for it.
I'm sure they will. But many of the trainers today are capable of training their horses up to a big race without a recent prep, and some actually prefer to do so. At any rate, I'm sure there will be races in the NYRA condition book in early June that can serve as preps for the Belmont.

yeah but they also want 3-4 weeks notice to do so. They need to decide on a june race pretty soon. There are preps over the next few weeks and some isnt gonna be happy if they ran a race 6th and then find out the Belmont is June 20th/27th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom