Horse Racing | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Horse Racing

As long as they don’t wipe the 2:24 flat, it’s ok I guess.

I still think it’s crazy for NYRA to pack it all up and head North.

it might be smarter to only do Saratoga.

Have no races maybe mon-wed or have a 6 or 7 race card to cut down on things.

Saratoga County has 370 cases and 13 deaths, that’s lower than my neighborhood.

Yeah I tend to agree just not sure what the plan is. I guess they are going to wait for a few weeks get Belmont rolling and see what transpires. Have to remember the cost on trainers having to relocate for the summer up there as well. It's a tough call and very fluid to say the least. I have no issue just running down at Belmont through Labor day and going to Big A after that. Let them use the two grass courses they have at both tracks down there now.

The one thing people forget that Saratoga training track usually opens up mid April. In a typical here I bet there would already be 400-500 horses on site. Ton of guys ship their 2 year olds from the farms in NY and Florida right to Saratoga as well right about now. A lot of NYRA trainers live full time in Saratoga as well. They train at Saratoga and ship down to Belmont to run all spring and summer. It's right now just so unclear.

Will all the KY based trainers ship up to Saratoga this summer as well? Some KY based owners might say what's the point if they cant come up for a couple weeks to enjoy it. Keeneland discussing a small summer meet as well

As long as they don’t wipe the 2:24 flat, it’s ok I guess.

I still think it’s crazy for NYRA to pack it all up and head North.

it might be smarter to only do Saratoga.

Have no races maybe mon-wed or have a 6 or 7 race card to cut down on things.

Saratoga County has 370 cases and 13 deaths, that’s lower than my neighborhood.
Call me skeptical but can't see them running the meet up here and those numbers not increasing. Since it will be no fans, just keep everyone downstate. A lot less headaches.

Yeah I tend to agree just not sure what the plan is. I guess they are going to wait for a few weeks get Belmont rolling and see what transpires. Have to remember the cost on trainers having to relocate for the summer up there as well. It's a tough call and very fluid to say the least. I have no issue just running down at Belmont through Labor day and going to Big A after that. Let them use the two grass courses they have at both tracks down there now.

The one thing people forget that Saratoga training track usually opens up mid April. In a typical here I bet there would already be 400-500 horses on site. Ton of guys ship their 2 year olds from the farms in NY and Florida right to Saratoga as well right about now. A lot of NYRA trainers live full time in Saratoga as well. They train at Saratoga and ship down to Belmont to run all spring and summer. It's right now just so unclear.
Yes, a lot of those 2 year olds are still on the farms. Be interesting to see how that affects next year.

Call me skeptical but can't see them running the meet up here and those numbers not increasing. Since it will be no fans, just keep everyone downstate. A lot less headaches.

Tend to agree, stay put and keep the horses running as that is all about you can hope for now

Yes, a lot of those 2 year olds are still on the farms. Be interesting to see how that affects next year.

The ones in Florida have access to tracks on farms down there which is great as they will be further long than many of the NY breds on farms with nothing but indoor running sheds in NY. Typically the NY breds in NY ship to saratoga training track mid April and they shoot have ready for Saratoga maiden races. Not sure that's possible now. It's great because it gets them settled at Saratoga early for 6-8 weeks before the circus comes to town.

Saratoga training track in June is fantastic for those that like to watch them train in the mornings

Thinking about this more...Santa Anita Derby is in a couple of weeks

I’d bet Baffert splits up his big guns. Authentic for sure I think would stick to SA

Thinking about this more...Santa Anita Derby is in a couple of weeks

I’d bet Baffert splits up his big guns. Authentic for sure I think would stick to SA

He's got options for sure:)

The ones in Florida have access to tracks on farms down there which is great as they will be further long than many of the NY breds on farms with nothing but indoor running sheds in NY. Typically the NY breds in NY ship to saratoga training track mid April and they shoot have ready for Saratoga maiden races. Not sure that's possible now. It's great because it gets them settled at Saratoga early for 6-8 weeks before the circus comes to town.

Saratoga training track in June is fantastic for those that like to watch them train in the mornings
I was talking to someone the other day who has a 2 year old in Ocala. He is being shipped to Churchill but it was delayed for a while. I can see the Oklahoma track opening soon. That would help the New York Breds. Plus help the transition into Saratoga racing, if it is going to happen.

A lot of NYRA trainers live full time in Saratoga as well. They train at Saratoga and ship down to Belmont to run all spring and summer. It's right now just so unclear.

Is this true? When i was a kid growing up, there was not a single NYRA circuit trainer (at least any of the larger stables) that lived full time in "Saratoga." Guys like Nick Zito and Bill Mott had houses in Saratoga but were only up from April on. Other guys like Pletcher, Contessa, Dutrow rented during the summer i believe. Jimmy Bond is the only one who really lived in Saratoga (Stillwater/Mechanicville area), and he spent a lot of the year in Florida.

I know you know what you're talking about, so maybe things have changed?

I was talking to someone the other day who has a 2 year old in Ocala. He is being shipped to Churchill but it was delayed for a while. I can see the Oklahoma track opening soon. That would help the New York Breds. Plus help the transition into Saratoga racing, if it is going to happen.

I drove past the Main Track on Monday on Nelson. There were massive mounds of sand near the shoot and the Nelson gate was wide open (I was tempted to drive in), but no activity. This was around noonish.

That was my point, they got through this scot free, if all the NYRA workers from USA Ground Zero shows up, hello...

The Financials do not make sense either.

Spoke with a couple of friends close to NYRA. I hereby withdraw post #242 and now certify that I was talking out of my azz. Temporarily living on the west coast has softened my brain, and made me susceptible to all things Baffert's. Carry on.

Is this true? When i was a kid growing up, there was not a single NYRA circuit trainer (at least any of the larger stables) that lived full time in "Saratoga." Guys like Nick Zito and Bill Mott had houses in Saratoga but were only up from April on. Other guys like Pletcher, Contessa, Dutrow rented during the summer i believe. Jimmy Bond is the only one who really lived in Saratoga (Stillwater/Mechanicville area), and he spent a lot of the year in Florida.

I know you know what you're talking about, so maybe things have changed?

Chad Brown, Contessa did for years and still lives there full time, Jimmy Bond, Jeremiah englehart too and a few others ( Cannizzo and Metivier smaller barns just off top of my head) I know of for sure. Pletcher ships a ton of horses in early as well and his top assistant was there last year from June through October. Linda Rice the same, she ships horses in early as well and owns a place there too.

Englehart lost his assistant at Belmont sometime this fall who is an excellent horseman ( actually a woman). Notice the big drop in his win stats since in NY

Last edited:
Yes, the Belmont looks to be very, very interesting.

The Travers, Derby and Preakness will be the de facto Triple Crown this year. Should be fun if everything remains under control with the pandemic.

NY traffic was my 75-1 longshot derby horse coming off the injuries ran a pretty good race

Has anyone done myracehorse ? I bought some shares in a couple of horses, wondering if anyone else has done it.

Has anyone done myracehorse ? I bought some shares in a couple of horses, wondering if anyone else has done it.

I have a buddy that bought some shares of a few west coast horses and has a lot of fun with it. It's a great idea

Maxfield is legit. These 3 yr old races should be fantastic

Extremely impressive for sure. I loved him in the Breeders Cup prior to scratch last year. I usually like to bet against the big 2 year olds when they come off a layoff into their 3 year old season but Maxfield and Sharing were both fantastic in their 3 YO debuts on Saturday

Baffert loses Nadal to retirement, and didn’t Charlatan test positive for something at the Arkansas Derby? The Belmont is losing some of its lustre. Still looking forward to Tiz the Law vs Maxfield, hopefully.

Baffert loses Nadal to retirement, and didn’t Charlatan test positive for something at the Arkansas Derby? The Belmont is losing some of its lustre. Still looking forward to Tiz the Law vs Maxfield, hopefully.
Baffert is getting his karmic bounce back for the Justify pass when that horse failed a test. Lot of smoke around Baffert horses with this testing, and i'm not surprised.

I am not so sure Maxfield will run Belmont. I could see him running the Bluegrass at Keeneland in early July. He has run well over the surface as well but who knows. I am sure their goal is the Derby. Owned by Godolphin and they will make him a stallion regardless of his resume now and they don't need to build up his resume to sell him to a stallion farm so they will do whatever to put him in the best spot for the derby. I still like Tiz the Law and the sakatoga boys.

A few people said Nadal looked funny switching leads in the stretch of of the ARK Derby and maybe they were right. Horse is HUGE too which doesn't help matters. Joel Rosario will now be looking for a new derby mount as well

Baffert's schtick is getting very old.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom