How many Syracuse fans are there? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

How many Syracuse fans are there?

If you had to choose between purchasing season’s tix or giving that money to a collective, which would you choose?

Season Tix

Last year 78 members gave a total of close to $16,000.

To date this year 37 donors have pledged almost $4500. We need your help!
I already sent you $100. Did you not get it?

Posts complaining about our ability to compete in the NIL market due to lack of resources and then following it up with I can't give $100/year from my recreational budget to help produce a better product because (insert random excuse) are my new favorite posts.

Its a dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant, its a night out with the boys/girls, its less than a golf tournament, etc. To each their own, however, to me, its illogical to be on a fan board, say our competitiveness is a money problem and then say I'm not willing to help but I am willing to post 10x how we're behind on NIL and its someone else's fault.

Classic.

Hopefully this is why JB has an office in the Melo Center.
I really hope JB can fix the riff between Weitsman and Syverud. It seems like it could be easily worked out, I've got to believe there’s a compromise solution out there

There were a few posts what other schools are doing and on the surface they seemed much more fan friendly. The WVU one had Jerry West, Darryl Talley and about ten other former star athletes repping their NIL. Are any former Syracse athletes involved?

Athletes who Care has Ensley and Palumbo involved who are ex athletes but obviously they aren’t Jerry West. I looked at their website and drilled down to find West and a handful of others involved as advisors. Doesn’t say what advisors do. My point wasn’t SU vs any one team. Just that we are doing fine and that was recognized in some ranking that had us pretty high. If we weren’t doing fine we may not get JJ or Westry or keep a lot of the athletes that we did keep the last season and this upcoming season. We certainly don’t lead in the NIL game but we certainly don’t suck at it either.

Here’s the thing that’s really changed. It used to be “how can we compete with these teams building Taj mahals…etc.”

Those schools have pivoted quickly. They no longer need / want money for facilities. They want $ for players.

Gone are the days of huge capitol projects for student athletes. Now it’s a straight cash deal.

I know it hard to do, but every $3M gift for Lally is $3M I’d rather have go into a collective. The pitch is essentially the same - we need $ to attract better players…but now instead of a building- it’s cash in someone’s pocket.

I know that is a much harder sell for some…but it’s the reality we live in.

Ask a player if he’d rather have a workout room with 20 Xboxes, or $25k in his pocket…and I know what they’ll say.

Got find a way to dial back the extras in exchange for Cold hard cash.

Here’s the thing that’s really changed. It used to be “how can we compete with these teams building Taj mahals…etc.”

Those schools have pivoted quickly. They no longer need / want money for facilities. They want $ for players.

Gone are the days of huge capitol projects for student athletes. Now it’s a straight cash deal.

I know it hard to do, but every $3M gift for Lally is $3M I’d rather have go into a collective. The pitch is essentially the same - we need $ to attract better players…but now instead of a building- it’s cash in someone’s pocket.

Ask a player if he’d rather have a workout room with 20 Xboxes, or $25k in his pocket…and I know what they’ll say.

Yep. It pivoted really quickly and honestly it's like the whole work from home thing. Many companies are spending all this money trying to have a Google like workspace... vs paying employees what they want and giving flexibility. The latter is what people want if their job is one that would work with that model. The rest of all the in office bells and whistles are meh.

That's what I said from day one. People aren't going to donate to both. It's up to the school to "funnel" where they want the money to go. As a STH, I've never been asked to donate to the collective, but I've been emailed, snail mailed and called to renew my season tickets.

Idk, we’ve asked for any amount from everyone on here for the FineMess collective and donations are slow to come in.

If FineMess got say, $20-$50 from everyone on this board, we would be in a hell of a position. We could probably add a second athlete AND continue to have the special guest program every week at the tailgates in the fall. This would benefit MANY student athletes.

Not so sure this is solely on the university

Last edited:
Posts complaining about our ability to compete in the NIL market due to lack of resources and then following it up with I can't give $100/year from my recreational budget to help produce a better product because (insert random excuse) are my new favorite posts.

Its a dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant, its a night out with the boys/girls, its less than a golf tournament, etc. To each their own, however, to me, its illogical to be on a fan board, say our competitiveness is a money problem and then say I'm not willing to help but I am willing to post 10x how we're behind on NIL and its someone else's fault.

Classic.

Honest question: Is it really the job of fans to ensure Syracuse is competitive in NIL? Aren’t there people closer to Syracuse athletics who should be doing that kind of thing?

If you went to a restaurant and the food you ordered sucked, you would obviously complain. If the restaurant manager then said “well why don’t you go back in the kitchen and make the food” you would rightfully tell him/her to go **** themselves.

And to be clear, I don’t know if Syracuse has the NIL resources to compete with other programs (I have yet to post about that specifically because I really have no clue). But if Syracuse doesn’t have the resources, I doubt it has anything to do with other programs having better, more loyal fanbases willing to pony up small $$ donations.

Honest question: Is it really the job of fans to ensure Syracuse is competitive in NIL?

Absolutely is. NIL is a donation whether you donate $10 or $100,000.

Honest question: Is it really the job of fans to ensure Syracuse is competitive in NIL? Aren’t there people closer to Syracuse athletics who should be doing that kind of thing?

If you went to a restaurant and the food you ordered sucked, you would obviously complain. If the restaurant manager then said “well why don’t you go back in the kitchen and make the food” you would rightfully tell him/her to go **** themselves.

And to be clear, I don’t know if Syracuse has the NIL resources to compete with other programs (I have yet to post about that specifically because I really have no clue). But if Syracuse doesn’t have the resources, I doubt it has anything to do with other programs having better, more loyal fanbases willing to pony up small $$ donations.

I don't follow the restaurant analogy. To answer the main question, I definitely believe it is up to the fans and alumni to fund collectives. Who else is there?

As for small donors, I believe they are integral for sustaining collectives over the long haul. My overall point was all the belly aching about being behind while also saying I won't donate and someone else should take care of the details.

I'm not a rich man but am willing to try to help improve the product with part of my entertainment budget (of which we all have). If more fans/alumni actually do donate it could be very helpful in my opinion. We do have a very loyal base.

I don't follow the restaurant analogy. To answer the main question, I definitely believe it is up to the fans and alumni to fund collectives. Who else is there?

As for small donors, I believe they are integral for sustaining collectives over the long haul. My overall point was all the belly aching about being behind while also saying I won't donate and someone else should take care of the details.

I'm not a rich man but am willing to try to help improve the product with part of my entertainment budget (of which we all have). If more fans/alumni actually do donate it could be very helpful in my opinion. We do have a very loyal base.

I guess I fail to see how not giving $$ to the collective precludes someone from complaining about Syracuse’s NIL resources. If you don’t think that Syracuse has a plan to compete in the world of NIL (or is failing to execute a plan) why would you give? (Again, I’m not saying they can’t compete, I don’t know.)

A better analogy might be politics, since that involves donations. You might believe in a candidate and want them to win. You may have committed to voting for them. But are you going to be more or less likely to donate your hard-earned dollars to a candidate if they are running an unorganized, lousy campaign?

I guess I fail to see how not giving $$ to the collective precludes someone from complaining about Syracuse’s NIL resources. If you don’t think that Syracuse has a plan to compete in the world of NIL (or is failing to execute a plan) why would you give? (Again, I’m not saying they can’t compete, I don’t know.)

A better analogy might be politics, since that involves donations. You might believe in a candidate and want them to win. You may have committed to voting for them. But are you going to be more or less likely to donate your hard-earned dollars to a candidate if they are running an unorganized, lousy campaign?

Syracuse isn’t running an unorganized lousy campaign

One could argue that they are running a very well organized one

They just don’t want to do anything that’s going to cost them a violation, so they maybe a little more caution than some other schools

Once again, the FineMess Collective will gladly take any $$$ you would like to donate, even if it’s just $5.

More people donate, the better the program is. I can promise you, the FineMess collective is well run and 100% of the money goes to student athletes.

Syracuse isn’t running an unorganized lousy campaign

One could argue that they are running a very well organized one

They just don’t want to do anything that’s going to cost them a violation, so they maybe a little more caution than some other schools

Once again, the FineMess Collective will gladly take any $$$ you would like to donate, even if it’s just $5.

More people donate, the better the program is. I can promise you, the FineMess collective is well run and 100% of the money goes to student athletes.

Maybe they aren’t. But my argument in that analogy is that if someone perceives the campaign as lousy, they’ll be less likely to give. So it makes sense why someone might not donate money while simultaneously complaining about the lack of NIL resources.

I’ve already stated why I won’t give to the collective. And it has nothing to do with whether or not Syracuse is handling the NIL era competently.

I dunno Dash I think the number of people willing and able to give $100 is WAY less (like an order of magnitude less) than 100k. Times are tough for a lot of families coming out of a pandemic and $100 is a lot of money for many people. Especially for an extremely non-essential cause.
There are also probably many of those folks who would give more than $100. Not saying it evens out, but I think the premise is right.

44cuse

I mean can’t this be a box you check when renewing season tickets? Buying single game tickets?

Gotta be an easy way. Anyway, we need to go after more whales. We have some, just need to tap into them.

I thought the schools can't be directly involved in this.

I've put this idea forward before. Either outside or inside the gate at every SU game have NIL donation jars where one might throw a single or a five in. Also at concessions, ask if you want to round up for NIL. Not huge amounts but not nothing either.

How many that would be willing to give $100 to a collective? Have to be over 100k
wouldn't you think? The university has to be more proactive on this.
This is all nuts and its getting nutier all the time. I could think of much better ways to spend my money let alone to donate my money to. Just paying to go to games and maybe some conessions is enough for me. It's just entertainment for crying out loud. But each to their own.

This is all nuts and its getting nutier all the time. I could think of much better ways to spend my money let alone to donate my money to. Just paying to go to games and maybe some conessions is enough for me. It's just entertainment for crying out loud. But each to their own.

Not only do many people feel there are better uses for their money, but I’m sure some folks feel there’s a bit of a cringe-element to this whole thing as well.

Grown men using their own money to help pay for random 20 year olds to play sports… I mean, giving $100 to help pay Judah Mintz when he’s very likely to be a millionaire in about 18 months might feel kind of weird to some.

This is sort of what I'm thinking - it's like the owner of Chuck's asking for money. I see it as the school/bar responsibility to put out the best product which in tune will draw patrons who will spend their money, most likely at higher rates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom