How will he be remembered? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How will he be remembered?

While that may be true, Smith's legacy extended beyond basketball.

No question and I have Dean on my Mt Rushmore of coaches. I was just trying to show how close things can be. He wins his first title with mj in a game where Freddy Brown throws the ball away. His 2nd title is the Chris Webber timeout game.

Dean Smith's came with two blunders by opposing players that had nothing to do with his coaching. Oh, and one of the two came with Michael Jordan. And North Carolina was a power before Dean Smith. We sure weren't before JB

So, we didn’t go to a Final Four the very year BEFORE JAB was hired as HC?

Or are you giving him credit for that too?

I appreciate JB for all that he's done for the program, and his loyalty to SU.

And I also agree that it's well past time for him to step down - he's putting Wildhack is an unenviable position.

I find his behavior and public comments this year to be extremely strange, and personally, off-putting. I also don't understand his uneven treatment of local vs. national media.
I understand his treatment of local vs national. Jb is cordial to the national guys because they can help his image. The local guys can't help him so he doesn't care about them. His conduct is often disgraceful. And should have been addressed by his superiors years ago. He is a bully.

And JB had an African-American roommate in 1963. Do you know how incredibly rare that was on a college campus then? I do. I was at SU at the time.
No. I wasn't born then.

But kudos to JB for having an African-American roommate.

So, we didn’t go to a Final Four the very year BEFORE JAB was hired as HC?

Or are you giving him credit for that too?
Well, first of all, no we didn't. In 1976, we had a pretty bad team. We didn't really beat a good team the whole year. If you don't like this year's team, you would have loved that team. We went to the final four two years before. And yes, everyone back then, knew who the x and o coach really was. Coach Danforth was a more personable person. Once sat in the stands in the Manley Zoo during a game. Oh, and at Tulane, where Danforth left us for, he didn't last very long.

Bet you that if I posted about the state of the program, some of the people who so quickly chimed in here wouldn't say a word in that thread.

strawman. The OP asked a question and people answered it. But somehow you were able to extract from those answers that people were more concerned with how JB was perceived.

I understand his treatment of local vs national. Jb is cordial to the national guys because they can help his image. The local guys can't help him so he doesn't care about them. His conduct is often disgraceful. And should have been addressed by his superiors years ago. He is a bully.
I misphrased - I mean, I know why he treats them differently, but I don't see why he just can't be semi-cordial to the local media.

strawman. The OP asked a question and people answered it. But somehow you were able to extract from those answers that people were more concerned with how JB was perceived.
Some certainly are.

Regardless, I couldn't care less if you disagree.

I misphrased - I mean, I know why he treats them differently, but I don't see why he just can't be semi-cordial to the local media.
It's who he is. I have defended his coaching for the first 40 years of his career. I have never defended the way he often treats people. I have told this story before, I was working in Bay State West in Spfd Mass and the Orange were staying in the Marriot in the bg. JB was in the lobby as I am walking by. I stop and say hi coach, class of '78 and a long time fan. He didn't even look at me and gave a weak handshake. Okay. late in the day, I'm leaving work and he is on the other side of the floor. He sees me and waves. Strange. I can't explain him. I helped one of my roommates by being interviewed at Newhouse by him. One his classmates asked Jb and JB showed up. Complex guy.

Ask a sports fan in Kansas or Kentucky or Texas to identify Roy Simmons; they will give you a blank look. Then ask them about Jim Boeheim... they will immediately cite him as one of the best basketball coaches in history.
I agree -- which is why I think it's insane that our new banner system (which has been flashed on the screen a few times) has our basketball title listed amongst lacrosse titles. It almost blends in with them. They just don't carry the same value.

Some certainly are.

Regardless, I couldn't care less if you disagree.

you seem to have been triggered that some people think he’s a legend. Not sure why but whatever.

you seem to have been triggered that some people think he’s a legend. Not sure why but whatever.
Uh, no, but whatever you say.

This thread will probably deleted anyway.

There is not going to be any question of JB being one of the greatest basketball coaches in history. It's important we don't conflate that with discussions around the future of the program. Even the discussions of him coaching for too long will be crumbs compared to what he accomplished.

What ifs don't count but JB was a couple Free Throws, a shady 4th and 5th foul on Wallace, an AO injury and a Fab Melo academic issue from possibly having 4 titles vs 1. Looking at the fortune of UConn, you could say they are an even shorter piece of hair from having just 1 vs the 4 they do. It's not really fair in the bigger picture that JB only has 1. All that said there is zero question how he is remembered. Hopefully at some point the NCAA does the right thing and reinstates those wins even if it's post retirement.

I don't think JB is looked as fondly across the nation as a lot of people think. Fair or not they see one title in 50 years.

He'll be thought of like Lute Olson. When do you ever think of him?

Now us Syracuse fans and Big East fans will obviously see him as a legend forever.

I don't think JB is looked as fondly across the nation as a lot of people think. Fair or not they see one title in 50 years.

Now us Syracuse fans and Big East fans will obviously see him as a legend forever.
I think those are fair points.

On a national basis JB is viewed as a consistent winner, a guy who, until recently, had very competitive teams and were frequently a threat to make it deep in the NCAAT, whether expected or not. I think he's also viewed as a bit of a whiner, someone that complains a bit too much about officiating and who can get surly in press conferences. I don't think he's beloved by many across the national spectrum but he is very well respected for his impressive accomplishments.

Lute Olson only won 1.
Jimmy V only won 1.
John Thompson only won 1
Rollie Massimino only won 1
Izzo only won 1.
Bill Self only won 1.

Think of all the coaches who never won any.

Lute Olson only won 1.
Jimmy V only won 1.
John Thompson only won 1
Rollie Massimino only won 1
Izzo only won 1.
Bill Self only won 1.

Think of all the coaches who never won any.

Yeah I know winning titles is hard. I guess it's how you define legend. Kinda like how you define blue blood. Everyone has their own interpretation.

One of the greatest recruiters of bb players on a pound to pound basis. The only center that he liked was the one between his eyes. He picked that senter out of a crowd if it wasn’t attached.

Uh, no, but whatever you say.

This thread will probably deleted anyway.

what I will say is that you seemed to have tried to turn this thread into something it wasn’t. And it won’t be deleted.

I thought we were talking about the nation here, not a medium-sized school in central NY. Ask a sports fan in Kansas or Kentucky or Texas to identify Roy Simmons; they will give you a blank look. Then ask them about Jim Boeheim... they will immediately cite him as one of the best basketball coaches in history. When you ask how someone will be remembered, the world is not confined to Syracuse.
I think you are to close to the program and JAB to give a blanket statement that sport fans will cite him as one of the best coaches in history. I no longer live in NY and when people here find out I am an SU fan they immediately state that "your coach is a crybaby and a nose picker". They never mentioned him by name. I played golf with Gene Keaty a few years ago and he said that Jim Boeheim is the biggest whiner out of any coaches he's ever coached against. That's how he's going to be remembered.

I think you are to close to the program and JAB to give a blanket statement that sport fans will cite him as one of the best coaches in history. I no longer live in NY and when people here find out I am an SU fan they immediately state that "your coach is a crybaby and a nose picker". They never mentioned him by name. I played golf with Gene Keaty a few years ago and he said that Jim Boeheim is the biggest whiner out of any coaches he's ever coached against. That's how he's going to be remembered.

Holy Hell Wtf GIF by MOODMAN

I dont want to add fuel to the fire but I can see why some on here have the opinions they do. There are some posters that are constantly negative and just a plain drag and that gets old. Theres also some that are probably too close to the program/coach/etc and it shows by the comments (or lack of comments) and likes/dislikes in threads as well as constantly locking threads/deleting posts lately. But I'm a nobody and it doesn't really bother me either way, I'm just here as a fan of all things Syracuse and enjoy talking about it. I want whats best for our "program" at all times...whatever that is. Ok...carry on :)

*JB WILL be remembered as a legend and one of the greatest to ever do it!*

You can’t even remember how to spell Keady’s name.

Dean Smith's came with two blunders by opposing players that had nothing to do with his coaching. Oh, and one of the two came with Michael Jordan. And North Carolina was a power before Dean Smith. We sure weren't before JB
Firstly, i don't have any particular reverence for Dean Smith. I included him in the discussion because it's probably accepted nationally that he would be included in a list of "legendary" coaches.

Secondly, the "two blunders" are still a part of the game. The results are the results. It's not really constructive to go back and add or subtract from a record based on microparticulars of how it happened. If you subtract Dean's because of two mistakes, you can add to JB's because of a missed FT or an injured player. Where does it end?

Thirdly, you keep citing Michael Jordan being on the roster as a negative. Which is ridiculous. A) You have to spot the talent, recruit the talent, develop the talent. Which should be included as a Plus for the coach. Michael Jordan wasn't Michael Jordan at North Carolina. He was no better than Carmelo, Pearl, or DC. B) There is no "B"—"A" covers it.

Fourthly, 'we weren't a power before JB.' You also need to factor in that the Carrier Dome was a wildly impactful factor toward us becoming and remaining 'a power.' There have been two factors consistent in our 'power history.' JB is half of that.

I thought we were talking about the nation here, not a medium-sized school in central NY. Ask a sports fan in Kansas or Kentucky or Texas to identify Roy Simmons; they will give you a blank look. Then ask them about Jim Boeheim... they will immediately cite him as one of the best basketball coaches in history. When you ask how someone will be remembered, the world is not confined to Syracuse.
No question if you handed someone from Kansas a lacrosse stick they would have no idea what to do with it.

Reactions: cto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom