Howard Washington | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Where do you see him fitting in next season? Seems to be a lot of hype about Hughes, Carey and Boeheim taking the other guard minutes (I assume Battle will be gone). A friend sent me an article about five analysts projecting our starting lineup for next season. One of them actually mentioned that Washington might red shirt. After missing most of this past season with an injury do you think he would want to do that? Would he consider a transfer?

Just curious what you dudes think.

Where do you see him fitting in next season? Seems to be a lot of hype about Hughes, Carey and Boeheim taking the other guard minutes (I assume Battle will be gone). A friend sent me an article about five analysts projecting our starting lineup for next season. One of them actually mentioned that Washington might red shirt. After missing most of this past season with an injury do you think he would want to do that? Would he consider a transfer?

Grabbing minutes when we’re up big or when boeheim gives him a shot.

He is young and if he’s well enough not to redshirt it is up to him to earn playing time and impress Jim.

I DO NOT want him to transfer just because he cant crack our first 7 as a sophomore coming off a big injury. This is a perfect opportunity to groom a natural program point guard with a potentially great stroke.

If he earns minutes from carey/hughes/frank, great. If he doesn’t..let him develop.

Beating out Frank to be our starting point guard while wearing a boot. JB wants to run again and needs the quickness on the court.
Frank can run transition. We didnt have the depth this year, nor was transition a strategy thatd favor us

Because there will be so many new players, HW has an honest chance to work himself into a major role, assuming he's healthy. JB will be interested in trying different lineups early in the season, to see where the chemistry is, and if it's possible to move Frank to the 2G position, letting HW be a true PG, something we haven't enjoyed lately.

It'll be a tall order, though.

Im sure he also wants to play with his buddy Oshae before he bolts and redshirting obv takes that away. Not saying thats the main reason but I bet would play a part

I think he will red shirt

Frank can run transition. We didnt have the depth this year, nor was transition a strategy thatd favor us

Yes he can. He ran as a senior in HS at PG and his first two years here. He’s been a PG for 4 years now, although he’s played off the ball some especially when paired with Gillon last year. This year was a strategic slow it down, minimize possessions and run an iso offense. In fact most times we ran this year (off steals) with the ball in Franks hands, we scored. Usually Frank himself. We’ll be fine with more uptempo next year. But it all starts with cleanly dominating the defensive glass and outlet passes.

Fun guys , you and Bees. I bet neither of you laughed once watching "The Big Sick"

I’m guessing he will redshirt. With Frank and Carey at the point I don’t see much time for him anyway. He can back up Carey in 2019

I think he will red shirt
I think it all depends on battle. If he comes back he will more than likely red shirt if he leaves he could get some minutes.

Fun guys , you and Bees. I bet neither of you laughed once watching "The Big Sick"
Not familiar with the movie

I thought Moyer had a better chance of being a big contributor here than HW. I think he'd better be prepared to sit next year. Guys who stay 3-5 years in the program almost always contribute in their 3rd or 4th year of eligibility, but I don't see him as a contributor next year, even if he gets healthy.

I seriously doubt he redshirts. He's going to be cleared to play late this summer. Kids, for the most part, just don't relish the idea of missing out/not playing. I'll grant you that Washington won't be 100% by Nov. 1, but that won't stop him to giving it a go.

From his "successful surgery" article ...

"It will be six to nine months before Washington can be expected to return to the basketball court, according to Pike."

I seriously doubt he redshirts. He's going to be cleared to play late this summer. Kids, for the most part, just don't relish the idea of missing out/not playing. I'll grant you that Washington won't be 100% by Nov. 1, but that won't stop him to giving it a go.

From his "successful surgery" article ...

"It will be six to nine months before Washington can be expected to return to the basketball court, according to Pike."

Whether he red shirts or not he isn't playing. Why not get an extra year to play and get a year of grad school paid for?

Whether he red shirts or not he isn't playing. Why not get an extra year to play and get a year of grad school paid for?

This. There is no downside for HW if he redshirts -- gives him lots of flexibility, preserves a year of eligibility when he is perhaps 5th in line in a three-guard rotation, enables him to fully heal, and maximizes his future value [either at SU or elsewhere] with three years left to play instead of squandering one of those.

I still think that Washington could be a decent contributor down the road, even if that ends up just being in a reserve capacity, but I think it makes a lot of sense for him to redshirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom