Howard Washington

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by AWMKY, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Dcuse

Dcuse Starter

You know,I lose track. How many schollys are available for next year and after. Can't remember when all this crap is done.

2. cliftonparksufan

cliftonparksufan Iggy Award Magistrate

The pinned link at the top of the page breaks it down by class. If everyone comes back, we had eight accounted for.
    Lydon
    Battle
    Chukwu
    Howard
    Moyer
    Thompson
    Brisset
    Sidibe

According to this article we still are losing two for next season, and one for the season afterwards, so we still have three available. 13-2-8=3.
    NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year toward penalty

3. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Living Legend

"NCAA allows" ...gah, bite me.

4. Dcuse

Dcuse Starter

Thank you sir.

cliftonparksufan likes this.
  5. djorange1989

djorange1989 All Conference

NCAA allows Syracuse basketball to count 3 scholarships this year towards penalty
    NCAA allows scumbag Paterno to get all his wins back and doesn't shut down that program
    NCAA allows Baylor to still have an athletic department
    NCAA allows Kentucky and North Carolina to keep playing basketball

Hey, seems great to me.

SUFaninNJ, Toga, GonzoInMD and 5 others like this.
  6. Fly Rodder

Fly Rodder Lord of the Sebouillia

Yeah, and of those tentatively on the roster for next season, three could very well not be for various reasons (in order of likeliness of leaving: Lydon, Howard, and Chukwu). So SU has 3-6 spots to fill still. It's not dark yet, but it's getting there. And getting fifth years and some decent freshman is OK, but look how relying on them this season has played out with regards to the defense. IMO, it'd be easier to deal with roster turnover if the defense wasn't so time-consuming to get used to playing.

iommi likes this.
  7. longtimefan

longtimefan All Conference

I think you make an excellent point. And, not just for this year or next. I think the early departures and all of the transfers resulting from the sanctions have put the roster in a state of turmoil over the past 5 years. Had the coaches been able to keep the guys who left (too?) early and not been hamstrung by the roster restrictions, the defense, and hence the team's overall performance, would have been markedly better.

iommi and RF2044 like this.
  8. SacKingCuse

SacKingCuse Walk On

Why would Chukwu be leaving the program? Is it possible that he won't recover or is it something else? There was the Baylor big man, Isaiah Austin I think, who played with a detached retina.

ORRange likes this.
  9. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

Austin was blind in one eye--it wasn't just a detached retina.

I don't think that he was suggesting that Chukwu WOULD leave, just that it could happen if he doesn't recover from his medical problem from earlier this year.

two3zone, Edfromsodus and Fly Rodder like this.
  10. Col. Bleep

Col. Bleep All Conference

Absolutely.
    That should count for A LOT with a talented player.

721Comstock and Shark58 like this.
  11. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

So, three available for next season as things stand today.

We don't know whether Lydon / Battle will go pro, which could open 1 or 2 more.

And right now, Howard's and to a lesser extent Chukwu's status for next year is uncertain.

Which means that we could have as few as 5 openings, and as many as 7, 8, or 9 if everything works out unfavorably.

Thus far, we've only filled 2 of those slots. Going to be a hectic posteason and offseason.

GooseMutt likes this.
  12. TheCusian

TheCusian Living Legend

Again

Fly Rodder and Shark58 like this.
  13. GooseMutt

GooseMutt 2nd String

A bird in the hand! He wants to be here(dream school). He's improving. He may stay 4. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot again like Quade fiasco. Ayala was impressed first time on campus for Louisville game but I don't know that we can continue to gamble. P.S Hope you're doing ok CTO!

14. tbonezone

tbonezone Hall of Fame

marrone forever soured me on the whole "dream school " pitch .

SUFaninNJ likes this.
  15. GooseMutt

GooseMutt 2nd String

And maybe Kaleb Joseph a bit.

16. Brooky03

Brooky03 All American

Yeah, I don't get the hold up. We have no PG's on the roster for next season. Even if FH comes back, he's more of a SG than PG. There's no way extending an offer to Washington should hurt us with any of the other PGs we're going after. If it does, I don't want them.

Toga and GooseMutt like this.
  17. RF2044

RF2044 Living Legend

This has been talked about on the hoops recruiting board. It seems like there are three open scholarships right now, not accounting for any that might open up if Lydon / Battle go pro, or Howard departs.

They probably want to keep 1, possibly 2, open for 5th year transfers. And they probably prioritize Ayala and Duarte over Washington, so we aren't going to offer him first.

If Lydon leaves, and we have 4 slots to fill instead of 3, that gives us an extra scholie to play with, and I think Washington gets an offer.

I'd expect the class to fill out with 2 out of Ayala, Duarte, and Washington, and 1 or 2 5th year transfers.

18. hungrychuck

hungrychuck 2nd String

If FH is a SG, unfortunately he's a SG who can't S.

19. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

As long as Howard doesn't commit anywhere else we can wait.
    We need this kid though just for depth.
    We are losing more than Robey/White/Gillon.
    We have 2 commits now and 3 open spots with 11 scholarships to give out.

GooseMutt, Shark58 and RF2044 like this.
  20. Ajflood12

Ajflood12 2nd String

I am not up to date on the Howard leaving talk. Is there actual potential of this happening? During Louisville game I thought the announcer said something about JB telling him Howard will be fine and is just a sophomore.

21. Brooky03

Brooky03 All American

Howard's shown a capable 3pt stroke this year. He just can't finish in the lane. He's more of a shooter than Pace was and Pace was definitely not a PG.

22. Fly Rodder

Fly Rodder Lord of the Sebouillia

Eh, who really knows. I 'm not going to be surprised either way. My only concern is that Syracuse needs to add talent.

23. HoustonCuse

HoustonCuse Hall of Fame

Couple things:
    1. The staff has had a few misses at PG lately (KJ and so far FH) so I think they are being extra careful to not just get a guy for the sake of getting a guy. People were very harsh on their management of this cycle for the all-eggs issue, but making panic offers would be just as bad and they have avoided that to their credit.

2. I have only seen one of his videos - the most recent one - he looks no where near 6'3" to me. It is possible that they are again ginchy about shorter guards after seeing Gillon have some size related trouble on defense.

3. Donna's article said he has been at SU a lot including elite camps. That means our coaches have an excellent evaluation of him. They clearly didn't see him as a Syracuse caliber guard in the past since they didn't offer before. His recent stats and Francis' recent evaluations make it appear like he has improved quite a bit, but the staff is not just going off limited data or guesses when they make the risk trade of offering him. So I think patience is the right approach for us fans here. It isn't just inattention on their part that has held back the offer.

24. two3zone

two3zone Hall of Fame

Regardless of how many open spots we have we legitimately have only 2 guards on next years roster, and that's if Howard and Battle are both back.

25. iommi

iommi Living Legend