Howard Washington | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Couple things:
1. The staff has had a few misses at PG lately (KJ and so far FH) so I think they are being extra careful to not just get a guy for the sake of getting a guy. People were very harsh on their management of this cycle for the all-eggs issue, but making panic offers would be just as bad and they have avoided that to their credit.

2. I have only seen one of his videos - the most recent one - he looks no where near 6'3" to me. It is possible that they are again ginchy about shorter guards after seeing Gillon have some size related trouble on defense.

3. Donna's article said he has been at SU a lot including elite camps. That means our coaches have an excellent evaluation of him. They clearly didn't see him as a Syracuse caliber guard in the past since they didn't offer before. His recent stats and Francis' recent evaluations make it appear like he has improved quite a bit, but the staff is not just going off limited data or guesses when they make the risk trade of offering him. So I think patience is the right approach for us fans here. It isn't just inattention on their part that has held back the offer.

I get your points but getting Washington wouldn't preclude us from getting other point guards.

However, now with Frank starting to look like he will be back, maybe the staff is concerned that having two point guards on the roster might scare away some lead guards.

(My other issue is I just want another commitment! Beyond impatient!)

I get your points but getting Washington wouldn't preclude us from getting other point guards.

However, now with Frank starting to look like he will be back, maybe the staff is concerned that having two point guards on the roster might scare away some lead guards.

(My other issue is I just want another commitment! Beyond impatient!)
Maybe part of the concern is that all of the ???? for next season--Lydon, Battle, Howard--do come back. Three open slots leaves a lot less flexibility than 4 or 5, obviously.

Maybe part of the concern is that all of the ???? for next season--Lydon, Battle, Howard--do come back. Three open slots leaves a lot less flexibility than 4 or 5, obviously.

As I type this, I'd be shocked if Battle is not back. Howard is starting to look like he will be back. I wouldn't have typed this 3-4 weeks ago. I'd still be shocked if Lydon is back. I agree that maybe the staff needs some clarity about out roster but our PG situation is not cloudy. We have a maximum of one guy coming back. Washington would be a program guy. Couldn't we get him and either Ayala or Duarte? Those guys are combos. We only have one pure 2 coming back in Battle. I like Ayala and Duarte but if we wind up with both of them, then I guess we'd go for a 5th year PG and then shoot for an '18 stud PG.

Not really. He started out fine but then was an abysmal 1-18 over a long stretch, before his recent stretch of 3-6. I can't call that "capable."

He's shooting 33% on over 40 attempts, which isn't a large sample size but isn't small either. He's capable. Not great but capable. Andrew White missed like 10 3's in a row in one game, we didn't say he's not a capable shooter.

He's shooting 33% on over 40 attempts, which isn't a large sample size but isn't small either. He's capable. Not great but capable. Andrew White missed like 10 3's in a row in one game, we didn't say he's not a capable shooter.

FH has been way too inconsistent from deep. He was great early against cupcakes, then worse than Ron Patterson over a very long stretch. Now, he's gone 3-6 over 3 games, not much of a sample. Andrew White has been the best shooter in the conference from deep. One game doesn't say much. He's more than capable. Is FH capable? Yeah, maybe, now that I think of the definition of the word but he's not a good shooter. And he might not even be decent.

So much Frank hate. I really hope he doesn't go anywhere. Would love to see a senior FH running the point.
I'm with you JLine. I always root for a kid that is down whether he brought it on himself or not. He could make a Scoop Jardine type jump- who knows? Unfortunately, you're more often than not going to get the negative responses that you did from fair weather posters.

At this point it could go out on the Twitter that we've signed an unranked pulled pork sandwich from Dinosaur BBQ* to play point next year for us and I'd legitimately feel slightly better about our situation at guard. If we can nab Washington, all the better. We've got tons of scholarships even if nobody leaves. Let's have a roster.

*Assuming the sandwich would qualify, of course.

I think Frank is streaky at best. Capable to me means good and/or at least somewhat dependable. He is neither. Didn't his good shooting come all against cupcakes mostly, anyways?

He is 3-12 from 3 in ACC games, or 25%.

I would take Washington being a practice body for 2 years and serviceable ACC backup Jr. Year and starter Sr. year over an unknown grad transfer.
The only reason to hold onto scholarships are a talented regular transfer who can help more than just next year and has to sit out. We can't rely on grad transfers because our coaching staff went on all-in and don't get their guy.

The idea that Washington is going to come in and be a placeholder until he's recruited over is a little over the top. Why can't the kid get here and show what he's got? We should recruit a highly-ranked '18 PG, yes. But that doesn't mean HW can't be better than advertised or get better and earn a huge starting role next year or beyond. Too many people here want to assume he'd just be here to take a roster spot.

One other thing I like about Washington is he's playing with Brissett. I guess they are working on some good chemistry.

If you really want to go somewhere aren't you going to wait until the last possible second to see how things shake out before making a decision? I don't think this kid is suddenly going to decide he wants to go to Providence until he sees what Ayala and Duarte do. Just playing devils advocate here.

If you really want to go somewhere aren't you going to wait until the last possible second to see how things shake out before making a decision? I don't think this kid is suddenly going to decide he wants to go to Providence until he sees what Ayala and Duarte do. Just playing devils advocate here.

Sure but can't we still make an offer and make him feel wanted?

I would take Washington being a practice body for 2 years and serviceable ACC backup Jr. Year and starter Sr. year over an unknown grad transfer.
The only reason to hold onto scholarships are a talented regular transfer who can help more than just next year and has to sit out. We can't rely on grad transfers because our coaching staff went on all-in and don't get their guy.
That's your opinion. IMO, with limited schollies, you don't mess around with a 2 yr practice body and hinder the outlook for a top . To me, the staff's strategy all along has been go big or go grad . Don't bail now.

I happen to believe the staff can (and is) relying on some grad transfers. JB said at one presser that he believes the grad transfers are at least as strong as last year. Read between the lines, that means there is some serious grad talent out there.

Right now SU has positioned itself as the jewel of the grad market. While the other programs went high, SU is going low, and it is glaringly obvious for all grad trannies to see. You don't muddy this clear picture with say "an unranked pulled pork sandwich". You don't take a 9 and have people wonder which way you're playing it. As it stands right now, the elite grad trannies will be coming to us. Stay the course.

IMO, odds are SU will get a top tier grad (and similar odds remain that haters will look back and label it a "desperation" move to somehow diminish the recruiting aspect of it). It has been part of the strategy all along, there's some risk to it. I hope JB has the cajones to see it through.

After we've secured this top and Washington still wants to come here, I hope the staff gives it serious consideration.

That's your opinion. IMO, with limited schollies, you don't mess around with a 2 yr practice body and hinder the outlook for a top . To me, the staff's strategy all along has been go big or go grad . Don't bail now.

I happen to believe the staff can (and is) relying on some grad transfers. JB said at one presser that he believes the grad transfers are at least as strong as last year. Read between the lines, that means there is some serious grad talent out there.

Right now SU has positioned itself as the jewel of the grad market. While the other programs went high, SU is going low, and it is glaringly obvious for all grad trannies to see. You don't muddy this clear picture with say "an unranked pulled pork sandwich". You don't take a 9 and have people wonder which way you're playing it. As it stands right now, the elite grad trannies will be coming to us. Stay the course.

IMO, odds are SU will get a top tier grad (and similar odds remain that haters will look back and label it a "desperation" move to somehow diminish the recruiting aspect of it). It has been part of the strategy all along, there's some risk to it. I hope JB has the cajones to see it through.

After we've secured this top and Washington still wants to come here, I hope the staff gives it serious consideration.
Then our staff unequivocally failed this cycle.
They missed on Green and had no backup. They are scrambling now because of how awful they were recruiting guards this cycle.
We need a 4 year program kid. Grad transfers are not going to happen every year.
If the staff didn't bungle the recruiting like they have Washington wouldn't be necessary. We haven't even locked down Duarte yet and he isn't a PG.
We don't know Ayala will reclassify if he doesn't we have to keep Howard and hope Battle stays.

Relying on trannies is a very dangerous strategy. Last year we lucked out getting two of the best. No guarantees that would happen again.

Limited scholies ? - Plenty of room at the inn. I want to lock up some kids NOW. This is a kid who appears to want us. Let's stop playing games and take him.

Relying on trannies is a very dangerous strategy. Last year we lucked out getting two of the best. No guarantees that would happen again.

Limited scholies ? - Plenty of room at the inn. I want to lock up some kids NOW. This is a kid who appears to want us. Let's stop playing games and take him.

...and I can't give the party line: "I trust the staff." Nope.

Washington is getting better. Maybe the reports from months ago that he wasn't quite high D-1 level were accurate but not anymore. Kid is putting up huge numbers and looks the part. He can play and wants to wear Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom