1. Paying the bills, part II.

Chase currently has a referral program. If you are thinking about applying for a Chase card, it’ll help if you do so by clicking the link below. If five people do so, and meet certain requirements, it’ll pay for about three weeks of server fees to keep Syracusefan going.

Here’s the offer, in their words:

Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred. I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.

Chase Sapphire Preferred

(Close this message by clicking the x in the top right of the box)
    Dismiss Notice

Howard Washington

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by AWMKY, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sgt Cuse

Sgt Cuse Starter

No, the staff has not unequivocally failed yet if their strategy was go big or go grad trannie. The grad trannie portion hasn't concluded.

No, we don't need a 4 yr program kid this year. Grad trannie, FH, and Battle could be the main components next year. A 4 yr program kid would be a nice luxury. One that needs to be carefully done while in sanction status.

We don't know if the recruiting has been bungled yet because the strategy of going big or grad trannie isn't over yet. And it certainly doesn't seem like the staff is saying Washington is necessary at this point since he hasn't been offered.

General20 likes this.
  2. Sgt Cuse

Sgt Cuse Starter

It may look like plenty of room, but if the 8 that can are still here, that leaves 2 grad trannies needed (the Gillon/White replacements) and just one 4 year program guy. Really not that much room.

And while it seems a dangerous strategy, the idea of having a true frosh (or FH) run the show is even more dangerous.

And while it may seem SU lucked out, the two are really just providing what many expected. And if done again I think JB will bring the transfers up to speed quicker - with roles and responsibilities set - ie they will start from day 1 and they will play the 1 and the 3 respectively, and get them in earlier.

3. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Our staff has given out the max scholarships one time since 2013.
    We have had 2 open in 2014.
    We had 2 open in 2015.
    Last year we used all of the 10 we could.
    This year we are using 10 of 11 scholarships.

Our recruiting has been pathetic at filling the roster. Then you get JB saying I wouldn't play Roberson if I had anyone else. JB you did it to yourself.
    He is lucky White came that took till the last day it
    could.
    Our recruiting for a top 10 program has been pathetic. Listen to Francis podcast he outlines it.

Francis03, SoBeCuse, two3zone and 2 others like this.
  4. iommi

iommi Living Legend

FH a main component? Okay, let's just cancel the '17-18 season.

5. OrangeDW

OrangeDW Living Legend

It would also be nice to have a backup PG, that is actually a PG. How many years have we been caught without one?

6. Sgt Cuse

Sgt Cuse Starter

Last years recruiting was : Gillon, Battle, AW3, Moyer, and TT (with 7'2" coming in). If that is supposedly "pathetic" sign me up.

If you are going to discount recruits because of "lucky" (AW3) or "desperate" (Gillon) then shouldn't you add back in the unlucky misses of TBryant and QG? You sound ridiculous.

General20 likes this.
  7. Sgt Cuse

Sgt Cuse Starter

I don't think a frosh Washington is moving ahead of a junior FH.

8. iommi

iommi Living Legend

I didn't say that. If FH is a "main component," we will suck.

9. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

Pathetic at FILLING THE ROSTER do not fit your own narrative.
    We have no Juniors and our roster has no depth.
    The grad transfers were necessary because we ran off Johnson/Patterson for the benefit of the program getting the penalties started one year earlier.
    Our staff hasn't used up all available scholarships but one time of the last 4 years and we have been penalized two of those years that is pathetic.

two3zone, orangecuse and newmexicuse like this.
  10. Funk Doc

Funk Doc 2nd String

I'm with ya on this one. If he's a main cog we're in trouble. If he's here I still haven't given up hope that he can be a serviceable PG. I can't explain the regression as a ball handler/distributor, as he was much better last season in his spot minutes. His ability to score, especially at the rim is really bad and something we definitely cannot rely on!

orangecuse, MSOrange and iommi like this.
  11. Sgt Cuse

Sgt Cuse Starter

I consider the 3rd guard as a main component. FH was the 3rd guard last year during the FF run and is the 3rd guard this year for another potential FF run. If he is the 3rd guard again next year, it doesn't mean we will suck.

As for Washington, if he came he would be the 4th guard. That is generally just developmental here. It's nice to have but not in the same stratosphere of importance for next year as the level of grad trannie we get to run the show.

iommi likes this.
  12. newmexicuse

newmexicuse All Conference

I would hate to have to count on frank, but on the other hand many players have made soph to junior year leaps & he should not be counted out. The first key for Frank is mental -he has to accept that he just isn't a natural scorer. I think Laz Sims should be his role model.

two3zone, tee1222 and Funk Doc like this.
  13. Funk Doc

Funk Doc 2nd String

Yeah. He has shown flashes of what he capable of. There were many more last season. You're right though, completely mental. Maybe just not ready to be the guy running the show. G and TC did it last year and now he needs to figure out how to do. I agree with you though, I hope he's not the only option, but if he figures it out, we could do a heck of a lot worse.

tee1222 and newmexicuse like this.
  14. JLine

JLine Starter

I see a Sophomore who is progressing. While fans hope for a guard who goes in the lottery after two years, or less like we have been spoiled with. In 19 minutes against L'Ville he looked pretty good to me. But, let's shove him out after two years. Next year he will be huge for us, but I guess a freshman would do better.

We need to add more, obviously. Frank doesn't need to be pushed out though. Man, people seem to forget the days of players developing throughout their time.

Some of you are so full of hate. I can't wait until Frank is leading us, and you have to eat crow. He isn't Kaleb. He just needs a bit more time,

15. Cuse9292

Cuse9292 Walk On

I have no idea on the mindset of Frank Howard but body language indicates it will be a very similar situation to Joseph, Johnson, Patterson, there's 0 confidence and when you're looking over your shoulder after one bad play it continues to add up and it finally has gotten to the point where Frank should move on as I think he could be a much better player in a smaller program and Cuse benefits from the open spot IF we can actually fill the spot, it's a win win scenario for Frank and SU IMO but who knows the actual story. Like others have mentioned it's completely mental and for some kids that's 20x more difficult to deal with then having to deal with physical problems.

16. RICuse44

RICuse44 Starter

Some people need to look back at the career arc of Allen Griffin. Or Z Sims. Or even MCW from freshman to sophomore year. Progress isn't always linear.

17. Funk Doc

Funk Doc 2nd String

While I agree with you completely on the idea your expressing I'm not sure MCW is as good of an example as the others you expressed. He didn't play much as a freshman simply because he was buried on the depth chart behind adequate upperclassmen, and wasn't/still isn't a good shooter.

two3zone likes this.
  18. iommi

iommi Living Legend

Oh, if you consider the 3rd guard a main component then that is a different perspective from where I thought you were going. You listed only three players as main components (including Frank), so I had to assume you meant Frank would be one of our top options. I don't get it though, how is a 3rd guard a main component? I guess you consider players 1-10 to be main components?

Funk Doc likes this.
  19. two3zone

two3zone Living Legend

Elvir Ovcina showed flashes of a three point shot, never thought he'd be a capable deep threat.

I think FH made a lot of simple passes look more difficult than they had to be and people looked at that as "vision". G wasn't a good point guard but he was light years better than anything I've seen from FH.

iommi likes this.
  20. two3zone

two3zone Living Legend

He's had just as much time if not more than Kaleb. There is far more into the story about Frank that goes beyond just the basketball court and I think it's left a bitter taste in many people's mouths including mine. Even if he does well he has still cost us.

21. SacKingCuse

SacKingCuse Walk On

Yeah...he should already be gone.

SoBeCuse, Alsacs, Ryand877 and 2 others like this.
  22. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

Howard Washington. ;)

pearl31 likes this.
  23. Alsacs

Alsacs Living Legend

If people knew what Howard did they wouldn't want him back. I am glad it has never been said on the board but the kid hurt the program.
    I don't want him back but if the staff keeps him it means they are more forgiving than me or they can't replace the guy.

24. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Living Legend

That's how I feel. Trying to put the program in front of my own feelings on this one.

Alsacs likes this.
  25. Footey04

Footey04 Walk On

Could some one pm me and tell me please?

kcsu likes this.