Howard Washington | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

Washington gives us depth. Very likely a 4 year guy.

My kingdom for a pg Whos been the program for 4 years at some point.
agree . . . but at the same time, I hope he blows up and becomes a 2 and done

EDIT: Sorry, I was looking in the wrong report of 24/7 rankings. Latest has:
Brissett #54
Sidibe # 89
Washington #160

That's more like it.

Last edited:
Latest 24/7 rankings have Howard Washington at #279. Yikes. I realize you can't go by these ratings but they give a basic idea of skill level...#279. Usually guys below #150 are stiffs. FWIW: Brissett #145, Sidibe #196. Something is wrong with our recruiting or JB is a genious. One or the other.
Those rankings are BS. Brissett and Sidibe are much better than those rankings suggest so I put no stock in Washington's. Have to remember as well that they don't get the attention because they play in Canada.

The decent schools on his list w offers were: BC, Butler, Dayton, GW, Maryland, Miami, Ohio St, Virginia, Va Tech, Wake Forest.

Well .. people were freaking out the other day because supposedly his only offers were like Canisuis, Tulane and Butler. But the rumor was P5 schools were starting to kick the tires and that's why we ramped it up. This offer list is a lot more impressive
Guessing cusecaboose is going off the 24 7 or TOS offer list which is compiled over years and is dated.

Nathan specifically addressed that in his post "There was a site I saw that listed a bunch of offers for him, which may have been true when he committed to Butler. His current offers are Syracuse, Tulane, Canisius, and St. Bonaventure. His coach mentioned another school that offered but I confirmed they are no longer recruiting him so I won't mention them. "

Waters is a looooong shot. Don't get any hopes up there.

Disagree, it may not be the most likely outcome but not a long shot. We have a legitimate chance here if we aggressively pursue it and apply the necessary resources. If we follow suit from our other 2017 recruiting strategies then I agree it's a long shot.

There are legit reasons that make us an attractive destination and he's willing to hear us out. Just on the program to maximize our opportunity.

Waters is a looooong shot. Don't get any hopes up there.

My guess is Waters ends up at one of the schools that recruited him initially. Or a school like Providence.

Sense that our PG next year will be another 5th year transfer. With our youth next year, it will be much needed.

but we also have scholarship reductions, so unless/until someone else leaves, then there are only 2 slots left. Need another guard and a SF.

Drop Waters and/or Ayala and Egor to the mix and suddenly, after months of hand wringing, we are looking at a top 20 recruiting class.

Two of those guys seem like less than 50/50 shots of being here next year and the third is hopefully closer to 100% returning, so I assume we have 3-4 spots left.

We'll need a SF that can score and a PG to play from day 1. Hopefully, those guys will be good outside shooters too because that will be a significant need.

Two of those guys seem like less than 50/50 shots of being here next year and the third is hopefully closer to 100% returning, so I assume we have 3-4 spots left.

We'll need a SF that can score and a PG to play from day 1. Hopefully, those guys will be good outside shooters too because that will be a significant need.

Personally, I no longer think either Battle or Lydon will make it past the evaluation stage, so at this point, the only one I'm assuming is less than 50/50 to return is Frank, but given the minutes he got last night I'm not convinced the odds are as long as some on here claim.

for those reasons, I'm assuming we have 2 spots remaining. I think the staff has to go with that assumption, too, just to be safe. I guess they can assume 3 spots if they are sure that Frank is leaving, but until they know for sure otherwise, they have to operate as if TB & TL are coming back.

EDIT: Sorry, I was looking in the wrong report of 24/7 rankings. Latest has:
Brissett #54
Sidibe # 89
Washington #160

That's more like it.
something is wrong with our recruiting as you said. when was the last time we got a 3 star???we have issues

Welcome aboard Howard. This kid bleeds orange. He is exactly what we need in the back court, a likely three or four year program kid.

I am not gonna try and predict to what extent he will contribute as a frosh, but I am predicting that at some point he will be a starter for us down the road and that he will be a very popular player before his career is done.

Last edited:
something is wrong with our recruiting as you said. when was the last time we got a 3 star???we have issues

I think some people have forgotten the recruiting rankings of our 2010 team...one of the best teams we have ever had.

Triche, Rautins, Johnson, and Onuaku were not top 100 recruits, and 3 of them made the NBA. Scoop, Joseph, and Jackson were well regarded but all the same they were not exactly can't miss, blue chippers either.

Rautins and AO were 5th year seniors, Johnson was a 4th year junior. Scoop and Jackson were in their 3rd years. Joseph was in his second year. That team was old and those kids had time in their college careers to develop into what they were.

We can't forget that Scoop wasn't very good as a freshman, Rautins was a nonfactor, Joseph showed potential but had little perimeter game at that point. AO barely played, even though we all loved his offensive potential he showed. Jackson wasn't much of a factor. It took time for all those guys to come on.

With guys like Moyer, Washington, etc. and sanctions almost over, I'm hoping we can get back to having guys around the program for years and getting better like that.

I think some people have forgotten the recruiting rankings of our 2010 team...one of the best teams we have ever had.

Triche, Rautins, Johnson, and Onuaku were not top 100 recruits, and 3 of them made the NBA. Scoop, Joseph, and Jackson were well regarded but all the same they were not exactly can't miss, blue chippers either.

Rautins and AO were 5th year seniors, Johnson was a 4th year junior. Scoop and Jackson were in their 3rd years. Joseph was in his second year. That team was old and those kids had time in their college careers to develop into what they were.

We can't forget that Scoop wasn't very good as a freshman, Rautins was a nonfactor, Joseph showed potential but had little perimeter game at that point. AO barely played, even though we all loved his offensive potential he showed. Jackson wasn't much of a factor. It took time for all those guys to come on.

With guys like Moyer, Washington, etc. and sanctions almost over, I'm hoping we can get back to having guys around the program for years and getting better like that.

Agree except on Wes. We didn't recruit one-star Wes. We recruited "best Big 12 freshman not named Kevin Durant" Wes.

Moyer/Thompson/Washington/Sidibe/Brissett.

Talented D1 players that will lay the foundation for us to be able to chance recruitments like Quade Green's and successes like Tyler Ennis' again.

You need program kids. We're not Kentucky or Duke. Even UNC and Kansas use program guys.

Agree except on Wes. We didn't recruit one-star Wes. We recruited "best Big 12 freshman not named Kevin Durant" Wes.

Right, we knew we were getting a player when he transferred here. But coming out of high school he was lightly regarded. That happens. Just like top 50 recruits that don't pan out happens.

And while Wes had a great freshman year, and then was hampered by the injury as a soph, he developed greatly and was a much better player at Cuse than he was before. So he fits the mold of a "veteran" who developed his game greatly in his college years.

There is a lot of hype in stars, but I care more about their play style and attitude than anything. He wants to be here, and he is a heady player.

Josh Hart at Villanova was the 92nd rank recruit. What matters is how well we develop these guys.

Last edited:
I'm excited that we actually have a guard in the fold, but... I feel empty inside still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom