I’ll be that guy | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

In practice you do not have an opponent trying to take your head off or end your career, yes it can happen but less likely. An opponent who feels they are being unfairly beaten up is far more likely to take a cheap shot at your star players. I have seen this happen often, so if you want to quote precedent that too must be taken into consideration.
Shrader Tucker and many others wont get hit at all during in season practices

When every coach decides to take their foot off the gas depends on the situation and that specific teams physique

So we take our foot off the gas and coast into halftime when we clearly could have scored. Dino agrees to shorten the remainder of the game by 10 minutes because he doesn’t want anyone else on his team hurt. His words mind you. Then we come out with our starters. Two of which the QB and RB our season is effectively over if either one of them gets hurt.

You keep saying show me another coach that hasn’t played there starters in the second half of a blow out. I say show me a coach that has agreed to shorten the game by 10 minutes to reduce the risk of more injuries to his team and then throws out the starting lineup.

It’s BS and just another example of Dino’s disjointed logic.

It was dumb but I’m over it. Let’s get healthy and clobber NC State in two weeks.

In practice you do not have an opponent trying to take your head off or end your career, yes it can happen but less likely. An opponent who feels they are being unfairly beaten up is far more likely to take a cheap shot at your star players. I have seen this happen often, so if you want to quote precedent that too must be taken into consideration.

Also I doubt they are letting Tucker get hit often in practice and if they do I guarantee they are quick with the whistle.

No one wants his head. It was a meat head thing to do and it almost derailed what could be a special season. I don’t give a damn if a thousand coaches before Dino did it. It’s dumb and doesn’t pass the common sense sniff test.
That’s two different test. Quite redundant and unnecessary like most of this thread.

This thread is akin to “First World Problems”.

I’m happy to see we’re arguing about keeping guys in during a blowout when we’re 5-0 now instead of why we don’t have QB beyond our starter that doesn’t look like they’re holding a hand grenade every snap when they’re in the game.

No one wants his head. It was a meat head thing to do and it almost derailed what could be a special season. I don’t give a damn if a thousand coaches before Dino did it. It’s dumb and doesn’t pass the common sense sniff test.
Several used the term”fireable offense.” Hyperbole to be sure, but that equates to wanting his head IMO. And a thousand coaches doing something gives it more validity in my mind than a bunch of random posters on the Internet. Hell, Tyler van Dyke fumbled early in the second half with Miami up 49-10 against Bethune Cookman last month. It’s a common practice.
Did I agree Saturday? No, but I can disagree with a coaching decision and accept its rationale without droning on for two days as if it’s an obvious and egregious display of malfeasance.
We’re 5-0 and many in this thread continue to be dedicated to find reasons to be negative!

Ok I will be that guy. Sounds like we have a bunch of Karen's on this board. Sometimes people like to bitch for bitchings sake. Dino was honorable for shortening the game. Dino got the backups in. Other teams would have ran the score up way worse. Other staffs as Money noted do what Dino did. The team is 5/0 with a bye week. Tucker is not out for the season. People are acting like the entire starting offense went down with an injury. I will say this much, Dino, Anae, White etc forget more about football than people on this board know about the sport. So how about people chillax on calling Dino ignorant and dumb and enjoy the start of the season.

I don’t really care, I’m reading this post for fun. But it’s a little funny you calling everyone on the board Karen’s and then saying you liked the game being shortened. Either be a hard a__ or don’t.

I don’t really care, I’m reading this post for fun. But it’s a little funny you calling everyone on the board Karen’s and then saying you liked the game being shortened. Either be a hard a__ or don’t.
All good but be specific. I didn't say I liked it, I said it was honorable. There's a difference.

So we take our foot off the gas and coast into halftime when we clearly could have scored. Dino agrees to shorten the remainder of the game by 10 minutes because he doesn’t want anyone else on his team hurt. His words mind you. Then we come out with our starters. Two of which the QB and RB our season is effectively over if either one of them gets hurt.

You keep saying show me another coach that hasn’t played there starters in the second half of a blow out. I say show me a coach that has agreed to shorten the game by 10 minutes to reduce the risk of more injuries to his team and then throws out the starting lineup.

It’s BS and just another example of Dino’s disjointed logic.

It was dumb but I’m over it. Let’s get healthy and clobber NC State in two weeks.
He could have got hurt the 10th play of the game. You cant prevent injuries from happening. Its part of the game. 37 plays vs a FCS team is not a lot. Thats fine if you dont like it or dont understand it. If you are tired of Dino and want another coach thats fine too. It still doesnt change the fact that this is common practice. You cant coach this game hoping players dont get hurt. I dont expect fans to understand that. There is a bunch of stuff to bash him about. This is not one of them.

People will make up stuff to justify their thoughts and ignore what they seen the last 50 years of college football.
The funny part is we had this EXACT same debate with these guys BEFORE the game. This is exactly what was always going to happen and should have.

The funny part is we had this EXACT same debate with these guys BEFORE the game. This is exactly what was always going to happen and should have.
If he twisted his ankle in the 1st quarter people would say why did he play at all. lol You cant coach hoping your best player doesnt get hurt. He's gotten hurt worse in practice. People want him to stop practicing too?

If he twisted his ankle in the 1st quarter people would say why did he play at all. lol You cant coach hoping your best player doesnt get hurt. He's gotten hurt worse in practice. People want him to stop practicing too?
You don’t believe the probability of being injured in a game is greater than being injured in a controlled practice?

You don’t believe the probability of being injured in a game is greater than being injured in a controlled practice?
When did I allude to that? I said you can get hurt at any time. Players get hurt in games, practices and scrimmages. Tucker could have got hurt on play 10 or play 40. You cant get the most out of your team when you are practicing not to get hurt. I learned that a long time ago.

When did I allude to that? I said you can get hurt at any time. Players get hurt in games, practices and scrimmages. Tucker could have got hurt on play 10 or play 40. You cant coach a team and get the most out of them hoping they dont get hurt. I learned that a long time ago.
Why limit contact in practice then? Why have your QB wear a different color jersey?

Why limit contact in practice then?
You need fresher legs and healthier bodies by game day. You dont want them to be tired and worn out the day of the game. Thats why you have thud sessions. Tackling curcuits with and without live bodies.

You need fresher legs and healthier bodies by game day. You dont want them to be tired and worn out the day of the game. Thats why you have thud sessions. Tackling curcuits with and without live bodies.
So coaches should consider injury risk?

Come on! It’s a balance. The coaching staff felt there was something to gain by testing some halftime tweaks against an unfamiliar opponent. Anae was aware of the record Sean was chasing and wanted to give him one last opportunity. Dino weighed the benefits and risks and followed a well established strategy to allow his starters to play one series in the second half of a blow out.
We can disagree with the decision but the rationale is clear and has been stated. There were no negative consequences. Sean is fine and the starters that entered the Wagner game will be against NC State. We’re 5-0 and you can’t be any better than that. Let it go!

All coaches do. Including Dino. Doesn’t mean you don’t play healthy bodies and continue good chemistry with your team. Answer this. If you are worried about 40 snaps in a game with starters (going into a bye week) than what kind of team are you trying to have?

I was told you can’t coach that way.
You want to be that’s naive because your favorite team coach played starters for one series in the second half? Go ahead my guy and be angry. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom