I’ll be that guy | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

I’ll be that guy

Because we are smarter now and realize that health is a significant predictor of success.

I would not schedule a bottom of the barrel FCS team in week 5. It feels like NFL teams scheduling preseason games in the middle of the season. No NFL coaches would play their stars in that silly hypothetical.
FYI, Alabama has Austin Peay scheduled for November 19th.

Pros & cons of leaving your starters in a blowout of a team that is clearly overmatched
Pros: Maybe your RB sets a record, work on "halftime adjustments"
Cons: 1) Possible injuries to key players 2) Not giving experience to backups who you might need later in the season
3) Not rewarding backups who have been working extremely hard 4) Not seeing if certain players shine or struggle under the bright lights (albeit against Wagner)
The complaints weren't revisionist history-Many people were saying it last week.

It matters not what others do. We are not a football factory school who can lose a player and another player is waiting in the wings, we lose a great player our team has a huge drop off in potential. You have to manage your team to maximize your team potential, and frankly not taking such things into consideration is mismanagement given our situation.
No one is saying the starters should not have played, however once you are up by 40 and it is obvious to a blind man the result, and you have agreed to shorten the final two quarters by five minutes each, then you need to consider the future as to your team goals. I will not even debate the bad sportsmanship involved.
This was a bad decision by Dino, and consistent with his many bad game decisions from last year.
Has nothing to do with being a football factory. You play your starters to start the second half. It’s always been that way. The offense ran 37 offensive plays up to that point. You don’t think they run more than that in practice? You don’t think our scout defense is more physical then Wagner’s? We push the panic button way too much here. Losing does that to a fan base.

Whatever, they wanted to get Tucker back on track by getting him a record. Can't we all understand that? Was it a risk, of course, but the kids wanted it. It was right there, once he had the scare, they got it straightened out. No big deal, in my opinion.
I get the record...but to say running against Wagner will get you back on track is laughable. This team learned next to nothing playing what is one of the worst FCS teams I've seen in recent memory.

Has nothing to do with being a football factory. You play your starters to start the second half. It’s always been that way. The offense ran 37 offensive plays up to that point. You don’t think they run more than that in practice? You don’t think our scout defense is more physical then Wagner’s? We push the panic button way too much here. Losing does that to a fan base.
In practice you do not have an opponent trying to take your head off or end your career, yes it can happen but less likely. An opponent who feels they are being unfairly beaten up is far more likely to take a cheap shot at your star players. I have seen this happen often, so if you want to quote precedent that too must be taken into consideration.

Boy your going to have to go through the sports record books and get rid of a whole lotta crap if that’s the case.

Like SU's single-game scoring record of 144 points against Manhattan in a game that lasted only 32 minutes.

There should at least be separate records for opponents in your division vs. in another division.

In practice you do not have an opponent trying to take your head off or end your career, yes it can happen but less likely. An opponent who feels they are being unfairly beaten up is far more likely to take a cheap shot at your star players. I have seen this happen often, so if you want to quote precedent that too must be taken into consideration.
Good point. Cheap shots cut blocks etc are less likely to happen in practice but they get physical. You can get hurt at any moment. Shoulders, knees, ankles etc. A lot of injuries happen in practice. They are just not made public. The offense ran 37 plays at that point. He could have got hurt on the 30th.

Good point. Cheap shots cut blocks etc are less likely to happen in practice but they get physical. You can get hurt at any moment. Shoulders, knees, ankles etc. A lot of injuries happen in practice. They are just not made public. The offense ran 37 plays at that point. He could have got hurt on the 30th.
Dino said that he agreed to the 10 minute quarters to save his players from getting injured, so he was concerned about it. it's Ok for the fans to be concerned about it, too.

"You play your starters to start the second half. It’s always been that way." We keep hearing that and Dino says it's 'logical". But I have yet to hear the reason for it.

"You play your starters to start the second half. It’s always been that way." We keep hearing that and Dino says it's 'logical". But I have yet to hear the reason for it.
Why do you need a reason for it? Everyone does it. The better question would be "why wouldnt you do it'?

Dino said that he agreed to the 10 minute quarters to save his players from getting injured, so he was concerned about it. it's Ok for the fans to be concerned about it, too.
When did I say fans shouldnt be concerned about it? I am concern. Im also concerned throughout every game because injuries can happen on any given play.

It's been a long thread, and money can correct me if I am wrong, but I think he has mentioned the reasoning to see how well you can implement the changes you discussed at halftime.

If the defense actually is "can't play scared, injuries are a part of the game" I wish a whole lot more coaches used that logic when they have to decide to punt or go for it. GO FOR IT COACH, CAN'T PLAY SCARED, TURNOVERS ON DOWNS ARE A PART OF THE GAME YOU LITTLE COWARD

We know why you wouldn't do it. Shouldn't coaches have actual reasons for doing things?
Why do you assume they dont have reasons? Because they dont tell you?

Why do you assume they dont have reasons? Because they dont tell you?

You just said "Why do they need a reason for it?" I was responding to that. I never assumed they didn't have a reason. I was trying to find out what it was.

You just said "Why do they need a reason for it?" I was responding to that. I never assumed they didn't have a reason. I was trying to find out what it was.
Well every coach has different reasons. You expect me to speak for them? As for us, we have been getting off to slow starts in the second half. It can really hurt us down the road. We need to establish a better sense of urgency and focus coming out of the half. Thats just one reason.

Last edited:
The SEC routinely schedules a body bag game the week prior to rivalry week expressly for the purpose of working out any problems and resting players before rivalry. Can't get much deeper into a season than that.
And I always laugh at the great SEC for doing it - very weak. But just because the SEC does something, that doesn't mean SU should do it.

It’s funny, there’s a whole other thread asking why the game was shortened

No, but it is empirical evidence that it is an accepted and reasonable approach. Posters in this thread want the head of a 5-0 coach for it.
Can certainly debate but this is not as egregious as some are making it out to be
No one wants his head. It was a meat head thing to do and it almost derailed what could be a special season. I don’t give a damn if a thousand coaches before Dino did it. It’s dumb and doesn’t pass the common sense sniff test.

the problem with it was even before Wagner there was speculation Tucker isn’t 100%. And tbh, he hasn’t looked himself prior to the destruction of the glorified high school team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom