I like the over, but I might be delusional... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I like the over, but I might be delusional...

It starts and ends with Shrader. There really isn't another option with Lamson out for the season. Morgan and Villari are not realistic options.
Then it is 4 wins and a new coach. Unless he shows more than we saw last year.

Here’s the scary angle nobody is talking about that connects to o/u. If we start slow or at whatever point “no bowl” is locked or looks probable, the better players might back out. Appropriately I’d argue. I don’t like it but that’s the new way things are done, and more so at a program like ours. I’d say there’s some real gambling values on “under” out there if you can look for profiles of some teams where this could be happening. So, starting strong is extra important imo

Here’s the scary angle nobody is talking about that connects to o/u. If we start slow or at whatever point “no bowl” is locked or looks probable, the better players might back out. Appropriately I’d argue. I don’t like it but that’s the new way things are done, and more so at a program like ours. I’d say there’s some real gambling values on “under” out there if you can look for profiles of some teams where this could be happening. So, starting strong is extra important imo
I think if we go over and bowl w 6 wins they need to prepare for Tucker etc to shut it down. If I’m a RB preparing for the NFL I’m not taking additional hits. He seems like a gamer but he will have ghosts in his head telling him he’s a top 3 round pick.

This team HAS to get out of the blocks fast.

Agree totally about his game management, even though Dino thinks he's really good at it. They were supposed to hire an analytics expert, but not sure I ever saw an announcement that they actually did.

Dino might be the worst game manager i’ve seen. I’m glad they’ve provided the resource to address in game decision making. No bowl and he’s gone.

Dino might be the worst game manager i’ve seen. I’m glad they’ve provided the resource to address in game decision making. No bowl and he’s gone.
and still in our struggles to even be good again we are about 2 plays away from having beaten Clemson 3 times since he has been here.. And we had them on the ropes a 4th time as well.

This is going to be a factor in college FB. We already know that unless the bowl games are CFP, most NFL bound players skip the bowls. It didn't take very long. Remember when Christian McCaffery skipped the Sun Bowl vs UNC? He was the first player to do it. All the bowl people got super upset...they knew what was coming. Soon it became a flood. Now barely anyone stays.

Well, if you are on a losing team, why stay? Loyalty? Gimme a break. College FB coaches wouldn't know loyalty or integrity if it hit them in the face. Players have to take longer view...their pro career. I don't blame them. Not in this pay for play college FB system.

This will happen too...if teams are say 3-7...star players will opt out. They aren't playing in the last two meaningless games. In this sordid sport of college FB, hard to blame them.

This sport is on the edge of the cliff...and about to get pushed over.

Some early lines are out.

The consensus appears to Be Louisville -4. Although I did see a Louisville -2.5

I'd take the 4 points.

It will be interesting to see if the lines moves as we get closer to game day.

Go Orange.

https://www.betus.com.pa//ncaaf/

https://www.betonline.ag//football/ncaa

Some early lines are out.

The consensus appears to Be Louisville -4. Although I did see a Louisville -2.5

I'd take the 4 points.

It will be interesting to see if the lines moves as we get closer to game day.

Go Orange.

I would definitely take the points

I think 5 wins no bowl is the level I worry about

If you keep winning 5 games the coach and his terrible game management comes into play. Dino has been a very bad game manager. If that continues a decision will have to be made.

I don’t know anything about the Virginia guys but I assume JW isn’t going to fire Dino to replace him w guys who haven’t been HC before.

I’m hoping we get 7 and it’s moot but I worry about Dinos management in game. Just brutal for past 3 years
Yeah, 5 wins is the no man's land just terrible place to be.

Somehow, a miracle occurred and we had it work out this off-season that we got exactly the coaching staff boost we needed.

Bronco is arguably our MVP from last season. He made a lot of that possible.

If SU wins 4 games Dino will be fired. There's no ability to bring back a coach with 1 winning season in 7 years at this level, none.
This sounds good until you ask when exactly he should have been fired. Obviously, after the 1 win season makes the most sense but Covid seems like a weird time to do it. Last year we had 4 games end on the final possession (something absurd like that)

This sounds good until you ask when exactly he should have been fired. Obviously, after the 1 win season makes the most sense but Covid seems like a weird time to do it. Last year we had 4 games end on the final possession (something absurd like that)
It was also year 6, so close might not be good enough for some people at this point. That being said,, I'm resigned to the fact that Dino is more than likely getting another season with the new staff unless this season is a total disaster, so I'm sure you'll be happy about that. Hopefully it's a good one.

Every program had to deal with covid. Next excuse. This one is tired.
Said this before and I’ll say it again, The degree that Covid affected programs varied greatly so I disagree with you, outstanding excuse .

Said this before and I’ll say it again, The degree that Covid affected programs varied greatly so I disagree with you, outstanding excuse .
Everybody uses it...in many areas, not just sports...it is old...oh, it was all the pandemic. Don't blame me! Hey, use it if you want...

Everybody uses it...in many areas, not just sports...it is old...oh, it was all the pandemic. Don't blame me! Hey, use it if you want...
Ok I will , thanks for permission!!

All comes down to Shrader. If he is improved this should be an 8 win team. One of the best RBs in the country, veteran and big OL, one of the top LB units in at least the conference, a pair of realistic Sunday players at corner, former Groza PK. That is a solid foundation. I get there is a big concern at DL, but that shouldn’t break the team.

If the passing game can get to 200 a game this team will have a good chance in every game this year.

All comes down to Shrader. If he is improved this should be an 8 win team. One of the best RBs in the country, veteran and big OL, one of the top LB units in at least the conference, a pair of realistic Sunday players at corner, former Groza PK. That is a solid foundation. I get there is a big concern at DL, but that shouldn’t break the team.

If the passing game can get to 200 a game this team will have a good chance in every game this year.
Our fanbase, at least as represented on the board, has gotten used to losing mindsets. We think about things in terms of deficits. What our players can't do, how hard the schedule could be, position groups where we're weak, etc.

When you have a player like Tucker you have to think in terms of strengths and where you're on the attack.

We have a lot of good things going for us. Yeah, we need to beat some peer programs to realize that potential. But that isn't an impossible task.

Our fanbase, at least as represented on the board, has gotten used to losing mindsets. We think about things in terms of deficits. What our players can't do, how hard the schedule could be, position groups where we're weak, etc.

When you have a player like Tucker you have to think in terms of strengths and where you're on the attack.

We have a lot of good things going for us. Yeah, we need to beat some peer programs to realize that potential. But that isn't an impossible task.
It isn't impossible. Honestly, it should not even be difficult. Pitt, Wake, BC do it every year. Qualify for bowl games. As I said, this is not climbing Mt Everest. There are about 80 bowl teams...so somebody is getting 6 wins...

At some point you just have to get it done.

It isn't impossible. Honestly, it should not even be difficult. Pitt, Wake, BC do it every year. Qualify for bowl games. As I said, this is not climbing Mt Everest. There are about 80 bowl teams...so somebody is getting 6 wins...

Yup.

This is going to be a factor in college FB. We already know that unless the bowl games are CFP, most NFL bound players skip the bowls. It didn't take very long. Remember when Christian McCaffery skipped the Sun Bowl vs UNC? He was the first player to do it. All the bowl people got super upset...they knew what was coming. Soon it became a flood. Now barely anyone stays.

Well, if you are on a losing team, why stay? Loyalty? Gimme a break. College FB coaches wouldn't know loyalty or integrity if it hit them in the face. Players have to take longer view...their pro career. I don't blame them. Not in this pay for play college FB system.

This will happen too...if teams are say 3-7...star players will opt out. They aren't playing in the last two meaningless games. In this sordid sport of college FB, hard to blame them.

This sport is on the edge of the cliff...and about to get pushed over.

So how long before we get high school players who already have their college scholarship locked up, quitting their teams because they don’t want to get hit?

It's not an impossible task. This isn't the primary issue though. The larger point, to me anyway, is that THIS program hasn't been up to that task for 20+ seasons with only a few exceptions over that span. So, are we finally good enough now? I'd like to think so, but the proof will obviously play out on the field. They have made major upgrades to the coaching issues pretty much across the board. In game decision making looms as a factor. But, I know that this is a real strength of Beck's. Hopefully, DB lets him make those calls.

And finally, there is the overall talent factor. We have some, and more than we have had in a while. Is it comparable to our peers? That's the real question for me, now that the coaching issues are being resolved.

So how long before we get high school players who already have their college scholarship locked up, quitting their teams because they don’t want to get hit?
I think that happened last year with a rb committed to Texas. Sat out senior year I believe.

It's not an impossible task. This isn't the primary issue though. The larger point, to me anyway, is that THIS program hasn't been up to that task for 20+ seasons with only a few exceptions over that span. So, are we finally good enough now? I'd like to think so, but the proof will obviously play out on the field. They have made major upgrades to the coaching issues pretty much across the board. In game decision making looms as a factor. But, I know that this is a real strength of Beck's. Hopefully, DB lets him make those calls.

And finally, there is the overall talent factor. We have some, and more than we have had in a while. Is it comparable to our peers? That's the real question for me, now that the coaching issues are being resolved.
JW better have let DB know that Anae and Beck are allowed as they were under Bruno to call the games with no interference.
That should have been part of the reason for the hire. DB has lost games because of bad decisions, and everyone knows that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom