I ride with Dino... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

I ride with Dino...

There is a very large, privately funded project(s) in the works targeted exclusively to the athletic department and specifically to facilities enhancements for the football program. My understanding is that the $25 million donation from John and Laura Lally, which has been public knowledge for over a year, is a part of, but not the only portion of this initiative.

Well that is good to know that we're making progress in that area. But as you mention, it's for facilities and not contract buyouts. I will defer to you if I said anything unreasonable as you seem to be way more in tune than I will ever be.

I like most alumni probably got these in the mail today.View attachment 192184

I just gave for the last fundraiser.
Thinking of donating to AD over academics this time. Since either can be tax deductible.

Dino should get one more year just because I don’t think we could get a top tier candidate to replace him.

Yeah I got mine also as a previous donor.

I agree he is not firing him this year, losing season next year and he is gone.
Are you sure about that? I'm not asking you if you think it's justified, or for the reasons why you think it should happen, or some other type of strawman debate about what other programs would do. You are asserting "losing season next year and his gone" as if you know it to be factual.

Are you sure about that? I'm not asking you if you think it's justified, or for the reasons why you think it should happen, or some other type of strawman debate about what other programs would do. You are asserting "losing season next year and his gone" as if you know it to be factual.
I feel pretty confident if this team has a losing record baring something crazy happening. For Example if they went 5-7 had a ton of injuries and wound up beating Clemson and you could see visible progress. If this team wins like 2, 3, 4 games I don't see how Wildhack doesn't make the change.

Well that is good to know that we're making progress in that area. But as you mention, it's for facilities and not contract buyouts. I will defer to you if I said anything unreasonable as you seem to be way more in tune than I will ever be.
You were not unreasonable at all. You are right on target with what you said previously about alumnus.
I highly doubt there are privately funded initiatives for a contract buyout. SU is a private university and does not operate that way. Transformative, private investments of this type are going to be targeted for things like...buildings and other long term improvements.

I feel pretty confident if this team has a losing record baring something crazy happening. For Example if they went 5-7 had a ton of injuries and wound up being Clemson and you could see visible progress. If this team wins like 2, 3, 4 games I don't see how Wildhack doesn't make the change.
Again, You are justifying your opinion, which is fine. To be clear, I am not saying you are being unreasonable or that you are not entitled to express your opinion. Have at it. But, there is difference between opinion or feeling "pretty confident" about something and expressing things as fact ("losing season and Baber's will be gone")

Again, You are justifying your opinion, which is fine. To be clear, I am not saying you are being unreasonable or that you are not entitled to express your opinion. Have at it. But, there is difference between opinion or feeling "pretty confident" about something and expressing things as fact ("losing season and Baber's will be gone")
Ok then lets do a poll, how many people think he can survive another losing season.

I really don't know I am sure there are some donors out there who are not happy who are ready to pony up, we have a lot of famous alums.

Get your roldex out and start dialing sparky. Get to work, those firings don't happen all on their own don't cha know.

I like most alumni probably got these in the mail today.View attachment 192184

I just gave for the last fundraiser.
Thinking of donating to AD over academics this time. Since either can be tax deductible.

Dino should get one more year just because I don’t think we could get a top tier candidate to replace him.

Friend of mine sent me a screenshot from a South Carolina board that’s making the rounds about coaching changes. The poster is supposedly pretty plugged in and his contacts are primarily agents. Maybe it’s true maybe it isn’t but some of the main takeaways from the post and other stuff my boy told me are below:

LSU in trouble financially and growing thought there is last year wasnt Eddie O but a perfect storm of elite coordinators and talent on the roster that isn’t going to be replicated with him. They may look to fire Orgeron for cause this year between sx assault story that broke, NCAA looking around, lots of guys transferring/opting out, photos of him and women much younger circulating around the internet and the accompanying stories going around the campus, etc. I think if they want to fire him with cause to ease the financial piece it would have to be this off-season though.

2021 could be wild with Texas, Auburn, Tenn, Southern Cal all opening up which is where guys like Urban/Freeze/Napier/Neal Brown (guys S Carolina wants but aren’t interested as of right now unless they overpay) and others might wait on that and stay put this year. They think each of those schools give their guys probably another year to save their job and then...

But if Tenn loses to Vanderbilt Pruitt is gone and Saban will do anything he can to make him DC at Bama again. Many at Bama think he was best DC of Saban era. Tenn job is very attractive to a lot of guys.

Rumors for awhile are that Sankey has blocked any SEC school from hiring Freeze the past few years when teams wanted him as OC/HC so idk if that still is the case but if not there will be strong mutual interest with Tenn and Auburn.

Campbell and FicKell really want the Michigan job and both gave SC a hard no. Next year is last year of Harbaugh contract and having a lame duck coach for a year would kill recruiting so Michigan probably needs to make a fire/extend decision this off-season.

Interesting storyline that might develop is Michigan and the Detroit Lions may end up fighting each other for Campbell.

Downstream impact of all the turnover that people don’t think about is that this means mass turnover on coaching staffs across the country as guys get fired/poached/brought along with the turnover at the head coach level. Means a lot of highly regarded assistants and coordinators are choosing to stay put this year to wait for what they think will be better opportunities next winter instead of moving their families in back to back years.

Maybe it’s true maybe it isn’t

Ill take a stab here. :) but some good rumor mill stuff to kick around regardless.

Would be interesting to see Fickell an OSU guy at Michigan? He knows the OSU job ain't opening up anytime soon though

Campbell leaves ISU and Lewis to ISU

How many Cuse fans knew 1) Who John Lally was? 2) That he had the kind of coin to cut the football program a $25 million check? I graduated from SU over 20 years ago and follow the program religiously and I didn't know either.

My point being, there are alums out there with SEC-type money and the ability to give. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they don't exist. They haven't been cultivated the right way. Having an alum as AD who actually cares about this place just as much of any of us do, leads me to believe that we will see more newer major gifts in the not to distant future.

Also, as a note, I know it's a long shot that a buyout is coming this year. But it should absolutely be on the table next year if we don't make a bowl. If we are 5/4/3-anything it further cements the 10 win season is the outlier.

I really don't know I am sure there are some donors out there who are not happy who are ready to pony up, we have a lot of famous alums.

This is painful, yet people keep repeating it. It took Jim Boeheim, The Franchise, years to get the Melo Center built. Ain't no oligarch out there who's gonna foot the bill to fire Dino.

Ill take a stab here. :) but some good rumor mill stuff to kick around regardless.

Would be interesting to see Fickell an OSU guy at Michigan? He knows the OSU job ain't opening up anytime soon though

Campbell leaves ISU and Lewis to ISU
Harbaugh could easily go to the NFL.
The Jets are a possibility.

Michigan should look at Matt Campbell all the way.
I highly doubt Fickell would go to
Michigan. That would be something.

I think Urban is waiting for USC.

He has taken over down powerhouses while conferences were down and has brought the powerhouse and conference back up.

See he went to Florida and then the SEC came back as well.
Went to Ohio State and brought the Big Ten back as well.

USC and the PAC-12 need upgrade.
Plus SC will have the donors in LA to pay Urban.

This is painful, yet people keep repeating it. It took Jim Boeheim, The Franchise, years to get the Melo Center built. Ain't no oligarch out there who's gonna foot the bill to fire Dino.

Biden seems to have accumulated a huge nest egg during the course of his 50 years on a government officials salary, maybe he can fork it over.

Harbaugh could easily go to the NFL.
The Jets are a possibility.

Michigan should look at Matt Campbell all the way.
I highly doubt Fickell would go to
Michigan. That would be something.

I think Urban is waiting for USC.

He has taken over down powerhouses while conferences were down and has brought the powerhouse and conference back up.

See he went to Florida and then the SEC came back as well.
Went to Ohio State and brought the Big Ten back as well.

USC and the PAC-12 need upgrade.
Plus SC will have the donors in LA to pay Urban.
Done deal as a Michigan fan I would take that trade right now.

And again, it's not just a HUGE donation it's being used to fire a football coach a year or two early possibly!! Not for anything good or the long term betterment. It's borderline absurd even discussing it.

"Thanks Mr Lally... the architects are about 90% done with the prelim design on the renovation and addition to the football facilities but hey do you mind if we tighten up the design a bit, value engineer some items, cut the square footage by 75% and use 15 million to fire Dino with yeah we really like this guy from Colgate

Oh that's not what you intended the 25 mil to be used for? Sorry

Biden seems to have accumulated a huge nest egg during the course of his 50 years on a government officials salary, maybe he can fork it over.
I know Biden loves su and loves the bball team, I would assume he loves football too. I am not saying he should feel obligated too or anyone should, but I do believe a year from now if we are going through another bad year Wildhack will figure out something.

I know Biden loves su and loves the bball team, I would assume he loves football too. I am not saying he should feel obligated too or anyone should, but I do believe a year from now if we are going through another bad year Wildhack will figure out something.

Let's have the bad year first.

Biden could help Syracuse with its IVMF school getting public dollars in grants and government dollars.

We as fans have to accept even though next year is going to likely to be an uphill battle Dino is getting another year.

Biden could help Syracuse with its IVMF school getting public dollars in grants and government dollars.

We as fans have to accept even though next year is going to likely to be an uphill battle Dino is getting another year.
We have I don't think anyone is calling for him to be fired right now.

If the schedule isn't adversely impacted by COVID stuff, there will be more room to patch together 6 wins. There's *a lot* of work to be done, but with eligibility of current players suspended a year and the new transfer rules, it's possible to work the group into a much better team.

Outside of morale and fan perception, I'm not sure how much damage is being done to the actual team. I'd go the other way and suggest that the young players getting a lot of meaningful PT makes us deeper.

A lot of it hinges on the QB position and the OL per usual. I'm hopeful, but I was that way the last two seasons.

Well, I think that whether or not we have spring ball is very much up in the air again. And I'm not feeling too good about that, right now.