I ride with Dino... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

I ride with Dino...

Uncharted waters means we have not dealt with this large of a buyout before...ever. We will find out whether Syracuse has the means and fortitude to pull the trigger on a high end buyout for a private entity. If you operate on the premise that his $15m buyout in 21 drops to $10m in 22 and you add in $5m to $6m for new HC and staff that is not a small outlay. This is new territory for them.

And that's why I keep saying, he's going to be here 2 more years, regardless of what he does.

This is not a school that likes to pay sports coaches millions of dollars to go away.

This is a frugal private school. Dino will be here, short of some sort of scandal, for the next 2 years almost regardless of how the team does.

Only if the team looks on pace for another 1 or 2 win season in 2021 does he find himself possibly being fired next season, especially after everything that just happened (and likely will continue to impact the spring football period).

Let's be honest, the virus is going to keep rising until probably February, at a minimum, based on current rates and all the holiday travel. We honestly might lose spring football completely. Hopefully a national containment strategy for the virus will be put in place before March, but there won't be widespread access to vaccines probably until summer.

So, next year could be messed up, too.

By 2022, you can reasonably "demand" a bowl result, because there's only 1 year left on his agreement to be bought out. That's what likely, in my opinion.

Short of a train wreck again next year, or some sort of scandal affecting player welfare, then Dino is our man for at least the next 2 years. Whether he is still here beyond that is up to him (i.e. results). But I don't see him getting fired next year, almost regardless of the results.

That's just not who this program is.

There is a thin line between winning and losing. I think it’s more likely that we’re in the .500 range with a good shot at a bowl next year. This year was an outlier in so many ways.

Let's hope so. I am not entirely convinced that this coaching staff is "automatic" for churning out bowl eligible teams.

7 of Ps 13 years we were top 25.

From 87 to 2001 we were in the top 25 ten times.

In the 75 years since WWII ended, Syracuse football has had 2 “glory days” periods of about 15 years each.
The first included the ‘59 champs, and the second the ‘87 undefeated team.

So, for the mathematically inclined, we’ve been “nationally relevant” about 40% of the time, and somewhere between “meh” and “ugh” for 60% of the time.

There are 2 ways you can interpret this data:
  • We’re just not a very good football program
  • We’re due

And that's why I keep saying, he's going to be here 2 more years, regardless of what he does.

This is not a school that likes to pay sports coaches millions of dollars to go away.

This is a frugal private school. Dino will be here, short of some sort of scandal, for the next 2 years almost regardless of how the team does.

Only if the team looks on pace for another 1 or 2 win season in 2021 does he find himself possibly being fired next season, especially after everything that just happened (and likely will continue to impact the spring football period).

Let's be honest, the virus is going to keep rising until probably February, at a minimum, based on current rates and all the holiday travel. We honestly might lose spring football completely. Hopefully a national containment strategy for the virus will be put in place before March, but there won't be widespread access to vaccines probably until summer.

So, next year could be messed up, too.

By 2022, you can reasonably "demand" a bowl result, because there's only 1 year left on his agreement to be bought out. That's what likely, in my opinion.

Short of a train wreck again next year, or some sort of scandal affecting player welfare, then Dino is our man for at least the next 2 years. Whether he is still here beyond that is up to him (i.e. results). But I don't see him getting fired next year, almost regardless of the results.

That's just not who this program is.
He's gonna need a minimum of 4 wins and to look a lot more competitive than we are now. If we go 3-9 he's a lame duck and in the long run it'll probably hurt you a lot more then going a year early on his buyout

Lol I don't know what the second sentence means but I guess if you've been saying its an exhibition season since August we should just throw out the season!

Sorry - was saying it doesn’t matter how much you pay a coach, a freshman isn’t a sophomore

I think the results this season will always be tainted by all of the stuff that makes this year weird. If eligibility isn’t an issue, then why not focus on seeing what you have, getting guys experience, building for next year? The players should always be playing to win, coaches should be too but with an eye towards the future, and fans should just be happy to see any football at all. If you were expecting a great season this year, that’s on you.

Dino has been around long enough at SU to have his own players contributing. It is not working out so well. I am just judging him on what he has done so far. It's not very good. He has brought in some very good players, I just don't think he is a good coach. That is my opinion and hope to be proven wrong. I want SU to win!! I have been a fan since '71 a have sat through many disastrous seasons in the dome and archbold . Is it to much to ask to get to a bowl game consistently? I'm tired of hearing movie references and half answered questions during Pre/Post game interviews.

Did you judge Marrone by the “own guys playing metric”? It’s a weird way to do it.

He's gonna need a minimum of 4 wins and to look a lot more competitive than we are now. If we go 3-9 he's a lame duck and in the long run it'll probably hurt you a lot more then going a year early on his buyout

It's a fair point. How much damage will be done?

I hope Dino turns it around quickly, but I just don't think that expecting a bowl quality team next year is going to happen.

Remember when we thought Dino was gonna scoot to another scoop cause he was hot? Well he stayed and now he’s not!

Our definitions of national power are very different then. We haven’t been a national power in 60-70 years
Agreed. However we did beat many of the powers during Ps reign.

I love Dino as a man, as a person, and as a coach he presents himself as a great one.
But you have to win to keep your job at this level. Period.
I'm surprised that no one addresses the fact we have no plays, we let kids read defenses on the fly which is assinine. We need adults viewing tape, coming up with a gameplan vs the other teams weaknesses, and then variations off those plays, misdirection, varied plays. Some 2 TE sets, late releases by TE, screens, 2 back sets.
Watch a NO game or a KC game they have pro teams confused. We could easily be doing some of that instead of our 3 play offense. Running simple plays fast is a disaster. You can't run simple plays successfully vs today's college defenses no matter how fast they are. Running varied plays executed well is the solution. We had our program set up perfectly after the 10-3 season then something happened behind the scenes where we fell apart as a program. We'll probably never really know what happened.
You cant beat ACC teams playing Sandlot ball. Especially when your best Sandlot player graduated.

It's a fair point. How much damage will be done?

I hope Dino turns it around quickly, but I just don't think that expecting a bowl quality team next year is going to happen.

If the schedule isn't adversely impacted by COVID stuff, there will be more room to patch together 6 wins. There's *a lot* of work to be done, but with eligibility of current players suspended a year and the new transfer rules, it's possible to work the group into a much better team.

Outside of morale and fan perception, I'm not sure how much damage is being done to the actual team. I'd go the other way and suggest that the young players getting a lot of meaningful PT makes us deeper.

A lot of it hinges on the QB position and the OL per usual. I'm hopeful, but I was that way the last two seasons.

If the schedule isn't adversely impacted by COVID stuff, there will be more room to patch together 6 wins. There's *a lot* of work to be done, but with eligibility of current players suspended a year and the new transfer rules, it's possible to work the group into a much better team.

Outside of morale and fan perception, I'm not sure how much damage is being done to the actual team. I'd go the other way and suggest that the young players getting a lot of meaningful PT makes us deeper.

A lot of it hinges on the QB position and the OL per usual. I'm hopeful, but I was that way the last two seasons.

I wonder if some games get flipped. Doubt we see BC at home 3 in a row or Louisville on the road three in a row.

My opinion only, sure we have a game this weekend -- but it is against a powerhouse team that will be highly motivated and won't look past us, because they have something important to play for. And we can barely move the ball. So yes, you play the game and you do whatever you have to do to try to win. I don't expect us to mail it in, but I don't think its unrealistic to expect a loss.

And probably a bad one, given that ND will have an incentive to take us behind the woodshed.

I get confused here at times. This season doesn't matter a wink and is a throw away one, exhibition-esque, according to multiple posters. What in the world can be so 'important' to be playing for? It doesn't count! ;):)

I get confused here at times. This season doesn't matter a wink and is a throw away one, exhibition-esque, according to multiple posters. What in the world can be so 'important' to be playing for? It doesn't count! ;):)

Players should play to win every game.

Fans should see this season as an exhibition.

*If you're a fan or player of ND or Clemson - you'll prob see it differently because it's in your best interests to see the season as close to normal as possible so you have a more legit claim on a title.

Absolutely. My thread starter was more about the end game and how JW will handle a putrid start to 2021 (a 0-2 with a loss to Rutgers). That will heat the water around here to levels that will be tough to escape. I am just VERY curious how JW is going to handle this situation. Everything that was considered an excuse seems to have been mitigated by JW and the school.

My bigger existential issue is the ACC and how we are situated in it. The conf did us zero favors with the divisional alignment. We're fishing in a pond that is truly deep for our abilities IMO. Not saying we can't compete but to play both FSU and Clemson yearly (talking historically) is a tough ask. We sometimes get seduced by our bowl performances against the southern heavy weights but I tend to think we punch above our weight against schools unhappy about the bowls they are in when they face us.

Anyway, this season is a breakfast ball, in golf parlance. No one with a brain can hold this against Dino. I'm just worried about next year when you can start to question the coaching at this level in this conference. He came in with a philosophy that may not work in the ACC with our personnel. If he can't revise on the fly, he's going to be a former HC at some point in 2021

I find your last paragraph quite telling. If this season is truly a "breakfast ball," "no one with a brain can hold this against Dino," etc. type, than why should you be worried at all? Unless, of course, the concerns you raise/reference beginning with your 3rd sentence is truthfully the proximate cause of this year's debacle more than the convenience of crying wolf...or should I say COVID.

You can say it until your blue in the face, it doesn’t make it right. If he bombs again next season he is gone. The Dome will be a mausoleum next year as is. Can you imagine what it would be the following season if they kept Dino after another disaster in 2021.

If this is a throw away year, why is Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame playing? It always amazes me (as an SU alum and former football season ticket holder) the continuous excuses the fans make for SU's performance and how mediocrity is accepted. "Wait till next year", "if only we". If these hard core fans where running their own businesses the way Babers is running the football program they would all be in Chapter 11. Excuses are for losers. Let's say Babers goes 6-6 next year. Have we turned the corner ? We all saw what happened after Dungey and Strickland (Shafer's recruits) left, two losing seasons. Babers needs to put up a 7-4 or 8-3 season. Remember he is not Wildhack's hire and $$$$ lost this season will affect Wildhack's approach to keeping or letting Babers go. A 1/3 filled Dome next year for football will not cut it from Wildhack's perspective.Fan's will be reluctant to spend money on Football tickets next year (other than the hard core fans) base on the last two years. Fans that wanted to see the improvements in the Dome may wait till basketball season.

What is it they say on TV when an Investment company advertises "Past performance is not indicative of future performance". Your past record determines your future.

No fan base thinks this way except our knucklehead fans because we suck. If we were remotely competent and looking at a possible bowl bid no one would see it that way.

It's still a pretty strange years regardless of how you look at it, anything but normal. Not saying the product hasn't stunk but there are a few reasons as well. It counts and yes looks bad for those in charge but far from standard operating procedure. I can see where people look at it a bit differently as opposed to pounding chest "IT COUNTS!!!!"

Next year will tell the FULL STORY and those who want Dino fired may get their wish it it stays this bad for sure. Hoping for a big turn around next year. Hate to start the crazy cycle again.

I find your last paragraph quite telling. If this season is truly a "breakfast ball," "no one with a brain can hold this against Dino," etc. type, than why should you be worried at all? Unless, of course, the concerns you raise/reference beginning with your 3rd sentence is truthfully the proximate cause of this year's debacle more than the convenience of crying wolf...or should I say COVID.

Well if we had 1 win with zero covid, i'd be very worried NOW. I am willing to punt on this season and see how next season starts. With a proper offseason, spring game, let's see how Dino comes out of the blocks. I think that's reasonable.

Otherwise, a 1 win season would be a death sentence in normal times no?

No fan base thinks this way except our knucklehead fans because we suck. If we were remotely competent and looking at a possible bowl bid no one would see it that way.

Lol. I do feel better when I have outsized expectations for no rational reason devoid of context. It makes the wave of anger really palpable so when I sling baseless accusations at the staff and refuse to acknowledge reality, I *feel* sane. I like to talk about holding the team accountable because god knows the staff doesn’t.

(For the record, is we snuck into some piss poor bowl - or even a bigger bowl - I’d be excited because it’s an extra game and more practices which tend to help... wait for it... the long term growth of the program.*)

*which is exactly what I see this year as

Well if we had 1 win with zero covid, i'd be very worried NOW. I am willing to punt on this season and see how next season starts. With a proper offseason, spring game, let's see how Dino comes out of the blocks. I think that's reasonable.

Otherwise, a 1 win season would be a death sentence in normal times no?
Most programs would be looking at a coaching change right now, one bowl in 5 years, and a 1-10 season, not going to fly for 80% of the programs out there.